Thread: [RESOLVED] Suppressing workflow exceptions from being logged

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Suppressing workflow exceptions from being logged

Hello everyone. I am dealing with a very multithreaded environment at the moment, and as you may expect, this involves the complicated subject of properly aborting a thread.
    Now I know that calling .Abort() on it is not the way to go, so that is not what I do. Instead I have a variable declared that states whether a thread should continue or not.
    When aborting, it's a simple process of changing this state and calling Join() on the Thread.

Example, this is in an Image frame storing class that also handles the animation:
    Code:
        Private Sub UpdateAnimation()
            Try
                While Not disposedValue
                    Dim now As Date = Date.Now
                    If now.Subtract(Me.m_lastFrameChange).TotalMilliseconds >= Me.m_frameDelays(Me.m_frameIndex) Then
                        Me.m_lastFrameChange = now
                        If Me.m_frameIndex = Me.m_frameTotal - 1 Then
                            Me.CurrentFrame = 0
                        Else
                            Me.CurrentFrame += 1
                        End If
                    End If
                    Threading.Thread.Sleep(50)
                End While
            Catch ex As System.Threading.ThreadInterruptedException
            End Try
        End Sub
    To abort:
    Code:
    Me.disposedValue = True
    ' ... some other disposing logic ...
    Me.m_animateThread.Interrupt()
    Me.m_animateThread.Join()
    Now what is the issue? The Interrupt. In my IDE it spams a pointless message despite it being handled in the Try-Catch:
    Code:
    A first chance exception of type 'System.Threading.ThreadInterruptedException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    A first chance exception of type 'System.Threading.ThreadInterruptedException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    Is there any way to COMPLETELY hide this exception from the debugger?
    It heavily spams my IDE and masks any legitimate runtime exceptions or debugging information to be shown.

I've run into the same issue with invoking on controls where the control is disposed...it forced me to do complicated event handling and SyncLocking to abort whatever thread from invoking things.
    In this case, however, the interrupt is needed to avoid wasting 50ms of a thread waiting period. The message forces me not to do it though...

An alternative way of interrupting a Wait that does not cause an exception logged is fine, too.
    Last edited by bergerkiller; Oct 27th, 2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Moved try-catch

Fanatic Member

Re: Suppressing workflow exceptions from being logged

I've solved the problem for now by using a different kind of waiting system (with wait objects). I am still interested in whether there is a way to suppress exceptions from being debug-logged, though.

I wouldn't use Thread.Interrupt. Try this pattern:

Code:
        Dim StopUpdateAnimation As New Threading.ManualResetEvent(False)
        Private Sub UpdateAnimation()
            Do
                'your code minus try catch for .Interrupt
                '
                '
            Loop While Not StopUpdateAnimation.WaitOne(50)
        End Sub

'to stop thread
            StopUpdateAnimation.Set()
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

perhaps you shouldn't be ignoring errors in the first place... that's what this code does:
    Code:
            Catch ex As System.Threading.ThreadInterruptedException
            End Try
    THat's where those are coming from... personally (and this is just my opinion) I'd remove the error handler for the moment, let those exceptions happen... find out WHY they are happening, and then attempt to re-structure the code so that the error doesn't happen in the first place.

And then I'd vow to never ever again use an empty catch to ignore exceptions.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *