Thread: Are the ancients gods passe?

Frenzied Member

Are the ancients gods passe?

Does anybody still believe in the ancient gods mentioned in various history courses?

I am wondering about Isis, Osiris, Ra, and Shu (Ancient Egypt); Baal and Mithra (competitors of the Biblical Jehovah and Islamic Allah); Zeus, Apollo, Athena, Aphrodite, et cetera (the Greek/Roman Pantheon); Thor, Wodin, and Loki (Norse myhology).

Are those once important gods now ignored?

BTW: What gods did the Druids worship?
    Live long & prosper.

The Dinosaur from prehistoric era prior to computers.

Eschew obfuscation!
    If a billion people believe a foolish idea, it is still a foolish idea!
    VB.net 2010 Express
    64Bit & 32Bit Windows 7 & Windows XP. I run 4 operating systems on a single PC.

I'm not sure that the druids did/do (some still around) worship any specific deity. I thought it was more of a nature thing.
    Harry.

"From one thing, know ten thousand things."

oh no! greek mythology what a pile, i have bad memorys of learning about that rediculous stuff. If you see a baby pop out of someones arm let me know.
    Matt

Believers

Derr Everyone Must!

Hercules and Zena are still on TV so they are real!

derr

Lightbulb Ancient Gods

If there is anyone in the world still worshiping any of the gods you mentioned, they will probably not be on the internet and in a position to respond to your enquiry.

I certainly do not know anyone who worships any of those Gods (not that the Greek, Egyption or Norse Gods were ever worshipped in this country).

Frenzied Member
    There are reconstructionist faiths which still worship the old gods, mainly based on the work of a guy called Aleister Crowley, the most prominent one is called Wicca, which is a revival of the ways of the druids and pagans. Apparrently it's quite fashionable amoungst american teenagers. I think the general princpal is that all gods that have ever existed are part of the divine force, and you worshi the ones which best suit your needs at the time. (So if you're planning a party you might pray to Dyonisus for good wine and dancing, Ra so It's a nice sunny day and Aphrodite that you get to go home with a nice bird at the end of it.)

Of the Druid gods I Think they had a combination of the Norse Gods, some of the Greek ones and a few of their own. I think Pan was quite popular and a god called Behemoth, Both were later turned into devils when christianity came over. I think a few lesser gods who were quite popular at the time when everyone got converted were turned into saints of the catholic church.
    If it wasn't for this sentence I wouldn't have a signature at all.

Fanatic Member
    I think a few lesser gods who were quite popular at the time when everyone got converted were turned into saints of the catholic church.
    Are you taking the piss Sam? Don't get me started on hagiography....

What the church did do was take over a lot of the ceremonies and make them Christian so that non-Christians could be shown to be celebrating the Christian rites...

Cheers,

P.
    Not nearly so tired now...

Haven't been around much so be gentle...

Hyperactive Member
    I have the physique of a roman god.......

... unfortunatly it's Bachuss, the god of feasting. He was a bit of a porker!!!

SD
    "I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy!"

Hyperactive Member

Re: Well ...

Originally posted by honeybee
    There is only one God. Different people worship Him in different forms. And God is a He.

Satan?

Cool God's sex

And God is a He.
    How can anyone be so sure of this?

Besides, isn't the notion of God being of a particular sex redundant? After all, God doesn't have to breed with a woman? Surely God is asexual?

Hyperactive Member

Re: God's sex

Originally posted by simonm

Besides, isn't the notion of God being of a particular sex redundant? After all, God doesn't have to breed with a woman? Surely God is asexual?
    Damn fine point Simon. Have a flagon of wine on me!

Bachuss

Behemoth
    Originally posted by Sam Finch
    a god called Behemoth...