Thread: Trying to make a remote web interface to configure a vb.net application on a server

Trying to make a remote web interface to configure a vb.net application on a server

I've been trying to make a remote web interface to configure a VB.Net application on a server.

I thought about trying to have PHP write a XML file for me and in turn have vb.net read the xml file to set variables, also have php read the XML file and load variables. But I have limited PHP programming knowledge and all the searching, research and tutorials I've gone through, I still can't figure out how to do this properly.

Would there be any way to execute this?

Re: Trying to make a remote web interface to configure a vb.net application on a serv

I'm confused as to why you have posted this in the VB.NET forum if you're looking at writing it in PHP. If you want to write it in VB.NET then it would make sense, but if you want to create a .NET web application then this thread should be moved to the ASP.NET forum. Is that what you want? If so then I'll ask the mods to move it. In that case, the VB code to read and write files is the same regardless of the type of application. To create the app you have to start with an ASP.NET project.

Re: Trying to make a remote web interface to configure a vb.net application on a serv

Yeah, you can move it if you want. Although, if there are any more ways to do this for example within VB.net. This is why I was confused as to what thread to post it.
    Last edited by chrisyroid; Oct 1st, 2013 at 08:59 PM.

If you want to create a web application then you can use any of the many technologies and languages available to create web applications. If you need help on deciding which to use then posting in a forum specific to one of them is obviously not appropriate. That's the sort of thing that the General Developer forum is for. If you have decided to use VB.NET then, while the VB.NET forum may seem appropriate, you'll be using ASP.NET as the technology for creating the web application so the ASP.NET forum is the most appropriate place.

So, where are you in this process? Have you decided to create an ASP.NET application using VB.NET as the programming language or are you still comparing languages and technologies to decide?