Thread: [vb.net] making an app to control another app (change variables etc.) lil help? :)

Red face [vb.net] making an app to control another app (change variables etc.) lil help? :)

Ok way back when in vb6, i remember using api to do stuff like set username/passwords on other applications like AIM, ICQ etc. My big brother gave me a program where i could just drag a + sign icon over any other programs txtbox etc. & it would give me the code i needed to fill out the forms, click buttons etc. Think it was called a windows api spy or something. Anyways, now I am writing a 'service' program..that will change variables on another program of mine (just changing txt variables in textbox's), re-start it after it closes itself (based on a timer/schedule/calendar), click start, stop etc. Are things like that fairly simple in 2010? I skipped right to the advanced stuff & never spent any time learning low-end basic stuff like this when i started a year or so ago. Do these auto-program/code API spy things still exist & do they work for 2010? Or is there a much simpler way now for generating the code i need?
    dim jenn as geek = true
    Learning ~ Visual Basic 2010 ~ in free time between college/work -
    currently looking for a 'programming buddy' / 'coder friend' / and or 'mentor'. p.m. me if you
    have ANY free time AT ALL I'm like 33% of a novice level ~ willing 2 listen/learn +
    i am totally super motivated & promise to make an effffin amazing protege!!! #swag

| -_-_- -_-_- |
    ...W.T..F!?.....
    ||| Matter on the atomic/quantum level isn't solid or even matter at all. It can also exist in at least 2 places simultaneously (demonstrated in lab). It's position can only be established when it's actually observed. If we turn our back on it... it goes back to a wave form. History show's that every previous generation (since the beginning of time) got almost everything wrong. Then it might very well stand to reason that up is down & right can be wrong. Admit it.. our combined perception of reality is just that, we know absolutely nothing of actual reality & to think we do is simply subscribing to a "ignorance is bliss" mantra |||

Re: [vb.net] making an app to control another app (change variables etc.) lil help? :

You may be thinking of Spy++, which has a crosshairs tool that gives you information about windows that you drag it over. I don't remember whether it was around in VB6, though, and I have never found the crosshairs tool in Spy++ to be all that useful compared to the other parts of that program. However, it is around in 2010, so you might take a look at that to see if it is what you remember, or whether it is similar.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Re: [vb.net] making an app to control another app (change variables etc.) lil help? :

Ok well, basically i just want to make a secondary .exe that will reload exe #1....& change 3 txtbox variables upon re-starting it
    What's going to be the easiest way to go about that?
    dim jenn as geek = true
    currently looking for a 'programming buddy' / 'coder friend' / and or 'mentor'. p.m. me if you
    have ANY free time AT ALL I'm like 33% of a novice level ~ willing 2 listen/learn +
    i am totally super motivated & promise to make an effffin amazing protege!!! #swag

| -_-_- -_-_- |
    ...W.T..F!?.....
    ||| Matter on the atomic/quantum level isn't solid or even matter at all. It can also exist in at least 2 places simultaneously (demonstrated in lab). It's position can only be established when it's actually observed. If we turn our back on it... it goes back to a wave form. History show's that every previous generation (since the beginning of time) got almost everything wrong. Then it might very well stand to reason that up is down & right can be wrong. Admit it.. our combined perception of reality is just that, we know absolutely nothing of actual reality & to think we do is simply subscribing to a "ignorance is bliss" mantra |||

Funny you should ask that. You may care to have a look at the thread I've just given a solution to (SendKeys.Send not working for 3rd party app)
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    Funny you should ask that. You may care to have a look at the thread I've just given a solution to (SendKeys.Send not working for 3rd party app)
    Ok i checked that out....but from other posts in that thread....do you think AutoIt would be a simple solution to my problem?
    I.E. Can autoit be scheduled to run an .exe at a specified time every day, and change txt variables on a vb form?

Sendkeys is never any fun
    dim jenn as geek = true

| -_-_- -_-_- |
    ...W.T..F!?.....

Yes (possibly with the help of Windows Scheduler). Yes. And yes. AutoIt and its ilk is always the better option. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    Yes (possibly with the help of Windows Scheduler). Yes. And yes. AutoIt and its ilk is always the better option. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.
    Ok i actually just came up with another idea....for the variables anyways. Utilizing the properties function (to save the current txt data at close) and simply ticking a integer up at each form_closed event.
    So now I just need to figure out windows scheduler for purposes of loading the .exe at specified times/days. Are there any good resources off the top of your head for Windows Scheduler? I've never used it
    dim jenn as geek = true

| -_-_- -_-_- |
    ...W.T..F!?.....