Thread: Read lines from .txt

Read lines from .txt

Hello. I want to make an app with random questions, for my school.. Is it possible to read questions and correct answer from an online .txt file ?
    For example, i have
    Dim question as String
    Dim correctanswer as String
    And to read from www.mysite.example/files/myfile.txt, who contains:
    " 1+1 =
    A simple question
    A simple answer
    "

Where first line is question and second is answer, or another simple way for what i request. I don't want to have question in app because i want to change them every day, and my colleagues don't want to download my app every day. (my math teacher said me to do this, 'cause my class don't know some VB.net or any script.).

Thank's

Re: Read lines from .txt

You can't read text from an online file. You have to download the data. You can download the file and save it locally and then read it like you would any other local file or else you can download the data directly into a String in your app. You would use the DownloadFile and DownloadString methods of a WebClient object respectively.

Hmm ... so, what is the easiest way to make a random questions quiz app, like a trivia ?? I know way to use local .txt file, but if answers are there, i can't make this app (if who use it can see everytime the answers). Or, if is posible to update my app everyday(from FTP)... I hope you know a way

Thank's

As I said, you use DownloadString to load the data directly into a String in your app. You can then read the data form that String in whatever way you deem appropriate. You can simply Split the String if you desire, or you could create a StringReader and then a TextFieldParser to read a delimited file.

Once you have the questions in an appropriate format in an array or collection then you can use a Random object to select one at random. You will presumably want to make sure that you don't select the same one twice, in which case you should follow the CodeBank link in my signature and check out either or both of my threads on making Unique Random Selections from a list or Randomising A List.