Thread: What SMTP Service are you Guys Using?

Lively Member

What SMTP Service are you Guys Using?

Hey guys,

I am writing a few apps that use one central SMTP Gmail relay to send emails. The obvious problem I'm running into is that Gmail prevents suspicious logins, so when the app is run on another IP - it simply fails to send mail. Do you guys know of any good and free SMTP relays/email accounts that won't give me this problem? If not, how about some low cost ones that perform well? Thanks guys...

Re: What SMTP Service are you Guys Using?

The smtp class works as is. If you are abusing it then maybe this forum ain't for you.

The obvious problem I'm running into is that Gmail prevents suspicious logins

Well that would be pretty obvious now wouldn't it.

Lively Member

You're misunderstanding the question. I'm trying to provide an SMTP service for my clients that they can all use simultaneously. It's not a problem with the SMTP class...its a problem with Gmail. Thanks!

If there is a problem with gmail why are you posting here?

What is the need to send email's from your application. I think i already know but want you to clarify it.

If that's what you call a problem then you're going to have exactly the same problem with just about any other respectable email service too. I would have thought it a basic requirement of any email based application that you allow the user to configure it with their own credentials!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    If that's what you call a problem then you're going to have exactly the same problem with just about any other respectable email service too. I would have thought it a basic requirement of any email based application that you allow the user to configure it with their own credentials!
    What are you talking about, when i tried to login on your account with barbie123 it worked ;/

Lively Member

I'm posting here because other dev's use central SMTP accounts to mass distribute emails through services, or applications. I was just curious as to which particular services you guys use. No need to be elitist=)

Not a question of being elitist. If it's not VB then it don't belong here. There are several other forum categories where you're question might be welcome (General Developer, Deployment, General PC, even ChitChat if you really don't mind being taken for a tour of Crazytown before you get an answer!) But this one's for coding issues and Vb.Net exclusively.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Lively Member

Its all good DF =) Thanks brotha I'll post it somewhere else. Unless you can Xfer it.

I've asked the mods to move it to General Development... the GenPop of the forums...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Thread moved from the 'VB.Net' forum to the 'General Developer' forum.

(thanks tg )

For web applications, I use GoDaddy's e-mail servers. They always work and they are free for your usage with a domain and hosting service.

For my Windows applications, I built my own SMTP server. I used Rackspace and Zimbra to build an e-mail server. It's cheap to because you manage it.
    Regards,

Matt Butler, MBA, BSIT/SE, MCBP
    Owner, Intense IT, LLC
    Find us on Facebook
    Follow us on Twitter
    Link up on LinkedIn
    mb (at) i2t.us

CODE BANK SUBMISSIONS: Converting Images to Base64 and Back Again

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by WRCREX View Post
    Hey guys,

I am writing a few apps that use one central SMTP Gmail relay to send emails. The obvious problem I'm running into is that Gmail prevents suspicious logins, so when the app is run on another IP - it simply fails to send mail. Do you guys know of any good and free SMTP relays/email accounts that won't give me this problem? If not, how about some low cost ones that perform well? Thanks guys...
    I fail to see anything here to suggest this isn't about spamming from malware bots.

The M3AAWG, IETF, email providers, ISPs, and other organizations are working hard to reduce the impact of malware that turns users' PCs into spam zombies. Gmail is just doing its part.

About the only legitimate use I can imagine is things like an application that sends feedback or error logs to the developer, seller, etc. Email hasn't been considered a reliable or legitimate way to do that for a very long time. There are much better alternatives such as WebDAV or generalized web services that send such messages to cloud storage or rented hosting.

Ignoring the potential abuses information in this thread might be put to, for any legitimate use you should use another alternative besides email.

I'm not sure why this thread wasn't whacked instead of being moved.

SMTP service is an efficient one. This section will help you to know how to configure Sendgrid SMTP settings on Outlook easily. It's an absolutely free one.

Step 1:
    The SMTP server address of SendGrid is smtp.sendgrid.net.
    Step 2:
    SMTP port is 587.
    Step 3:
    Encryption: Not required. If you wish to use the encryption protocol, select the Use SSL option. Then, set the port number to 465.
    Step 4:
    Username and password: SendGrid Username & SendGrid password.

For anyone reading this in the future, what is suggested above is 'breaking' the etiquette / rules of the net

Assuming that you are not a spammer !!!

Having owned and operated an ISP and WISP you should be relaying off of your ISP, not sending directly out of your app. into the wild, if you don't have your own SMTP servers.

As these are closed systems, you should know your customers well enough to be able to tell them use smtp.beaminternet.net.au to send email in the config / setup of your app.

jm2cw