Thread: VB2008 How to search items in listview using combobox

VB2008 How to search items in listview using combobox

Good day!.. I'm having a hard time on how to search items in listview, wherein if I choose items in combo box, it will displays the items that I search. I'm also using database, I have here my output.. Can someone help me?. I will appreciate any suggestions or comments, Thank You and God Bless..
    Name:  aw.PNG
Views: 2630
Size:  23.6 KB

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: VB2008 How to search items in listview using combobox

Moved To VB.NET

Sir. I'm using Visual Basic 2008 sir, not vb.net

So you are using vb.net then. You don't t need to include 2008 or even the .net suffix. 2008 is simply the version.

i see.. so can you help me? i have here my codes
    For index As Integer = ListView1.Items.Count - 1 To 0 Step -1
    If ListView1.Items(index).SubItems(1).Text <> cboCollege.Text Then
    ListView1.Items.RemoveAt(index)
    End If
    Next index
    but the problem is, if i try another search, the listview doesn't refresing its list. and the items that I search didn't appear..

End If
    Next index
    but the problem is, if i try another search, the listview doesn't refresing its list. and the items that I search didn't appear..

Hi,

End If
    Next index
    You cannot use a ListView in this way. The listView is a standalone collection of ListViewItems and once you remove an item from the ListView it is gone forever until you replace it.

If you want to continue to use a ListView to display the results of your searches then what you need to do is interrogate the original Data Source in your project to select the records that fit your ComboBox's criteria, clear the existing list of ListViewItems in the ListView and then finally re-add the ListViewItems that match the selected criteria.

Alternatively, and since you have mentioned that you are using a Database, I would suggest that you create a BindingSource with its DataSource set to the necessary DataTable in your project and then set that BindingSource to the DataSource of a DataGridView.

You can then use the Filter property of the BindingSource to limit the information displayed in the DataGridView based on the necessary criteria of your ComboBox's.

For more information on the BindingSource.Filter property, have a look here:-

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...v=vs.100).aspx

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanRyder View Post
    Hi,

You cannot use a ListView in this way. The listView is a standalone collection of ListViewItems and once you remove an item from the ListView it is gone forever until you replace it.

If you want to continue to use a ListView to display the results of your searches then what you need to do is interrogate the original Data Source in your project to select the records that fit your ComboBox's criteria, clear the existing list of ListViewItems in the ListView and then finally re-add the ListViewItems that match the selected criteria.

Alternatively, and since you have mentioned that you are using a Database, I would suggest that you create a BindingSource with its DataSource set to the necessary DataTable in your project and then set that BindingSource to the DataSource of a DataGridView.

You can then use the Filter property of the BindingSource to limit the information displayed in the DataGridView based on the necessary criteria of your ComboBox's.

For more information on the BindingSource.Filter property, have a look here:-

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...v=vs.100).aspx

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ian
    Thanks Ian, but, is it okay to create BindingSource while using this codes in my module?
    Module Module1
    Public cn As ADODB.Connection

Public rs As ADODB.Recordset

Public Sub connection()
    cn = New ADODB.Connection
    With cn
    .ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=Information.accdb"
    .CursorLocation = ADODB.CursorLocationEnum.adUseClient
    .Open()
    End With
    End Sub
    End Module