Thread: VB Classic (A True VB 7.0)

Threaded View

Re: VB Classic (A True VB 7.0)

As for me, I hope:
    step 1. develop the vb7 compiler that can compile the old vb6 .cls and .bas to a console .exe file, as possible as VB6 language compatible. the compiler can run on linux and windows, maybe can based on llvm. this step no need support ui controls files such as .frm or .ctl files. but need develop the file and network and other no-ui class library that needed by the ui-controls, all these library file are .cls and .bas file.
    step 2. develop the vb7 controls with the same names as the old vb6, the vb7 controls can based on vbRichClient or wxWidgets or qt or others. the controls need can compiled use the compiler developed in step 1.
    step 3. develop the vb7 compiler that can compiler the old vb6 .frm and .ctl and .res files use the controls developed on step2, after this step, all the vb6 projects that didn't use the activex controls can be compilered and run on linux and windows.
    step 4. develop the vb7 compiler that can support activex control on windows, to do as possible as VB6-compatible on windows.
    step 5. develop the vb7 IDE that only use the controls develop in step2, then the vb7 ide can run on windows and compile old vb6 project, and the ide can open the vb6 projects on linux.
    Then, all my vb6 project can opened on the new vb7 ide and can compiled and run on window. And on linux need do some modify to compiled and run on linux, so can move all my vb6 projects slowly from windows to linux.
    Last edited by mjohnlq; Aug 24th, 2013 at 05:20 AM.