Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: VB Classic (A True VB 7.0)

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Re: VB Classic (A True VB 7.0)

This does not help much toward a VB7 but it may provide a new native home for VB6. I mentioned ReactOS in an earlier post but then it was truly in its infancy. 0.4.8 has just been released, it is still very much alpha-grade o/s that should only be run in a VM but it now installs and runs VB5, which you can see in the forum post here:

start=1125#p130485

Hopefully, we can test VB6 next and pray the result will be as positive. ReactOS being based upon Windows server 2003 will be a natural and familiar home for VB5/6 development and not being from Microsoft, forced obsolescence will not be part of the culture. ReactOS and VB6 are made for each other it is just a pity that ReactOS is written C, C++ and that you can't as easily contribute...

Long live VB6!

Olaf, can I ask you to note this thread: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...PIC-WIN-thread

It might be worthwhile giving it a go on some of your non-graphical projects.

PowerPoster

Now that JavaScript is omnipotent. I'm thinking, whether it's possible to use JavaScript (Electron or Deno) to develop True VB7 transpiler and IDEs completely similar to VB6?

Note:
    The VB7 I'm talking about is a brand new scripting language similar to VB6. It can be used for desktop software development, as well as for the development of Web-Apps and Mobile-Apps.

I'm not as familiar with VB6 as I am with other languages, but something that I leverage (almost on a daily basis) are online compilers. This helps me when I need to test something simple or to brainstorm a feature.

Something to consider would be to write your own VB6 online compiler like dotnetfiddle.net as a first step. This would at least give you the capabilities to execute console applications in any environment.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by dreammanor View Post
    Note:
    The VB7 I'm talking about is a brand new scripting language similar to VB6. It can be used for desktop software development, as well as for the development of Web-Apps and Mobile-Apps.
    Wow that is great news. Currently we are using B4X (B4J and B4A) for developing cross platform application in BASIC.

I personally love VB and if you will come out with VB7 I will gladly switch to it instantly!

Can you give any time frame of releases?

Regards,
    --
    From,
    Indic Software

Revolutionary Visual Programming IDE.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by dreammanor View Post
    Not interested in yet another new scripting language, there are way too many already. One of the powers of VB6 was native compilation..
    If you really want crossplatform etc. You're better of just using the widely used frameworks and languages like C#. Especially if you're a business, it's just plainly stupid to rely on a language that isn't supported by a large majority and having to rely on hoping the language you're using will continue to be developed and maintained.

A VB7 is only interesting if you can take a project of VB6 and load it and have it run with really minimal changes needed, like it was with VB5 to VB6 (not VB6 to VB.NET which was just completely incompatible with each other (and VB.NET is the reason we never saw the release of VB7, even though VB7 was feature ready when they decided to dump it and progress with VB.NET).

I read this thread numerous times during development, mostly to make sure no one else was successfully building a true Visual Basic 7 and to commiserate in the lack of a true Visual Basic 7.

Since I believe that the people who really care deserve to be the first to know ...

I'm giving you guys a few hours advance heads up on this before the rest of the world ...

C-Prime is all platforms "Visual Basic 6" that compiles to machine code. On everything from Windows to Linux, Android to iPhone. And it's easy.

http://c-prime.net

Attachment 183038
    Name:  screen1_150.png
Views: 2960
Size:  22.7 KB
    Name:  screen3_150.png
Views: 3056
Size:  51.7 KB
    Name:  screen5_150.png
Views: 2982
Size:  40.7 KB
    Name:  screen8_150b.png
Views: 2918
Size:  35.8 KB

And as I have been up all night trying to get the site up, I shall now go to sleep for a few hours ...

Addicted Member

Sorry to say this, but if it isn't 100% VB6 compatible, like being able to load your original project and without much hassle start/compile, it isn't really interesting and it'll be just another scripting language.
    But good luck, it's already impressive if it compiles to all major platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDre View Post
    Sorry to say this, but if it isn't 100% VB6 compatible, like being able to load your original project and without much hassle start/compile, it isn't really interesting and it'll be just another scripting language.
    I'm not sure about that negativity. Many VB6 programs will never be ported to the iphone/tablet classes of devices. I can see TwinBasic/RADBasic being a future for VB6 on the desktop and thence with a potential future on other desktops... However, if there was a basic-alike language that you could use for the iphone/tablet that also had some use on the desktop - then it could be useful, especially if it is more or less here already.

For new development targetting iphone/tablet a useful and familar desktop IDE is the most important thing for me.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Thank you for comment. It isn't a scripting language. It was written in C, it has a virtual machine, it has break/edit/continue.

What the chap meant to say in a more positive way was that, keep it as close to VB6 in use (IDE) but keep the syntax and methods as close to VB6 as possible and you will potentially have lots of happy customers.

I'd document the differences and make it as as easy to convert as possible.

This place can be quite negative as lots of possibilities have emerged only to disappear, it is a little depressing over time. We also have high expectations, so prepare for criticism.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    What the chap meant to say in a more positive way was that, keep it as close to VB6 in use (IDE) but keep the syntax and methods as close to VB6 as possible and you will potentially have lots of happy customers.
    It's pretty damn close ... me.caption = "Hello World". Yes.

But exact where integer is -32768 to 32767 --- no! Absolutely not. And your measurements are in twips? Really, in 2021? Visual Basic 6 was great but it always had some bizarre choices.

And previous versions of Visual Basic never converted completed to a new version.

Anyway, us programmers can be brash and the like, I have been occasionally guilty of this myself. I'm not really the kind of guy that gets affected by that.

If you can ask a questions at StackOverFlow, you can take some criticism

As a courtesy and a fan of Visual Basic 6 --- I learned most of my programming with that --- I wanted to post it here first.

My son Alex who is in the video is in high school --- no one his age has ever heard of Visual Basic 6. He's learning Java and Python right now.

C-Prime is going to be around a long time, but it needs to have modern thinking to appeal to newer programmers.
    Last edited by BN586; Nov 17th, 2021 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BN586 View Post
    I read this thread numerous times during development, mostly to make sure no one else was successfully building a true Visual Basic 7 and to commiserate in the lack of a true Visual Basic 7.
    That has already happened. TwinBASIC is as true a successor to VB6 as I've ever seen. And unlike all the would-be successors we've seen over the years on these boards, this one actually exists outside of people's imaginations.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Addicted Member

But exact where integer is -32768 to 32767 --- no! Absolutely not.
    Integer range you mention is 16-bit integer.. and is defined back in the day when Windows was still 16bit, when VB started.
    Personally I think Integer is a stupid definition as it's based on the system your running it on, better are names like Int16, int32, int64.

And your measurements are in twips? Really, in 2021? Visual Basic 6 was great but it always had some bizarre choices.
    And previous versions of Visual Basic never converted completed to a new version.
    I agree, twips is a system that is really bizarre, still have a lot problems with it.
    And it isn't a problem if there are some problems after importing a project, but it shouldn't be that you have to change half the application just to get it running.
    Never had any real problems upgrading from VB4 to VB5 and then to VB6..

Integer range you mention is 16-bit integer.. and is defined back in the day when Windows was still 16bit, when VB started.
    Personally I think Integer is a stupid definition as it's based on the system your running it on, better are names like Int16, int32, int64.
    Generally in today's world an Integer is thought of as a 32 bit integer. This is true of most popular languages including C++, Java, C#, VB.Net, Java, JavaScript, Swift, Kotlin, SQL and many more.
    Last edited by Niya; Nov 17th, 2021 at 03:51 PM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Fanatic Member

twinBASIC have updated their roadmap

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....34#post5565434

The new twinBASIC IDE is looking good and the ability to import VB6 forms and controls is expected soon.

The twinBASIC IDE can be downloaded here https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post5561881

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234