Thread: Components do not load - conclusion

Smile Components do not load - conclusion

I decided to create a new thread because the earlier one is so long that it would be hard for somebody to figure out what is going on.

To begin with I would like to thank MAX187Boucher for the great support. He stayed with me during several attempts and ultimately figured out how to solve the problem. He is rated a "Frenzied Member" and I can see why
    I am just documenting what I had to do to get VB working again so other people can benefit from it.

Problem:

VB 6.0 program could not load components any more into projects. ( Windows 7, Internet Explorer 10)

Solution:

First step was to unregister the ocx files in both the system32 and the sysWOW64 folder.

To unregister run first cmd.exe in sysWOW64 folder in administrative mode.
    In the command window change the directory to c:\windows\sysWOW64. (cd.. and then cd\sysWOW64)
    Unregister the ocx file in the sysWOW64 folder (regsvr32.exe /u c:windows\sysWOW64\file.ocx)
    Unregister the ocx file in the system32 folder (regsvr32.exe /u c:windows\system32\file.ocx)

Next unregister the ocx file with the cmd.exe in the system32 folder.
    Run in administrative mode.
    In the command window change directory to system32 folder (cd.. and cd \system32)
    Unregister the ocx file in sysWOW64 folder (regsvr32.exe /u c:windows\sysWOW64\file.ocx)
    Unregister the ocx file in the system32 folder (regsvr32.exe /u c:windows\system32\file.ocx)

Finally register the ocx file in the sysWOW64 folder.
    Run cmd.exe in the sysWOW64 folder in administrative mode.
    Change directory to c:\windows\sysWOW64 as follows:
    cd ..
    cd sysWOW64
    then register the file: regsvr32.exe c:\windows\sysWOW\file.ocx.

After all of this the component loaded in Visual Basic. Problem solved.

I don't understand why one has to unregister four times but then the registration process is somewhat of an unknown to me.

What caused the problem?
    I suspect that the installation (without my knowledge, it came along with a Flash update) and then the uninstalling of the Chrome Browser on my computer is at the root of the problem.
    More anecdotic evidence: I decide to install VB on my wife's laptop just in case I would not be able to fix my computer. VB worked all right. Because the laptop was rather slow I decided to delete some files. One of them was the Chrome toolbar that sat there without her knowledge. I did delete the toolbar and low and behold the VB program on the laptop had the same problem as the one on my computer. It could not load components anymore.

I wish somebody could take a hard look at this. If it can be proven that the Chrome web browser and toolbar can screw up your computer . They should be kept responsible for it.

PowerPoster

Re: Components do not load - conclusion

I'm happy this worked for you. You might not have to unregister 4 times, but I made you do it for a reason. The reason is that syswow64 registers the ocx (or dll) files in a different place in your registry. You have to be careful when you register files, some are 86x some are 64x. I just thought that it might have been registered with both so I made you unregister 4 times to make sure it was gone from the registry. I think to register 86x ocx/dll files you need to run syswow64 regsvr32 (not sur about cmd.exe).

I just wanted to make sure it was going to work for you, since I told you to try a different way before and you said it did not work. One of the big problems with Windows 7 is that you NEED TO RUN VB6.EXE as ADMINISTRATOR all the time or else controls won't load.

I think if you use the regsvr32.exe in the syswow64 to register the ocx/dll files for vb6 you will not have any problems in the future, but the thing is that maybe chrome registers the ocx/dll files with regsvr32.exe from system32, which might work for chrome because it's 64x enabled (if you download the 64x version). So what happens is that it is now registered as a 64x (64bit) file, since vb6 is only 86x (32bit) it will not work. I cannot back this up to 100%, but I see people having trouble with Internet Explorer 10 and Chrome. I guess I got lucky because I got all of those program IE and chrome installed as 64x (64bit) and I did not receive any errors yet.

Yes it can be very frustrating, but people from microsoft or google probably do some test but not every test possible like testing vb6 after installing their programs. I hope this can help everyone with this problem, and also hope it fixes it for everyone.

Let us know if you got any more problems in the future, we'll be glad to help you. Have fun with your working VB6!

PowerPoster

@Peter: Now the problem is solved can I suggest you close the Thread(s)? (Navigate to the top of the Thread(s), click on 'Thread Toos' and select 'Mark Thread Resolved'.) That will show others that the Thread is finished. Also, if someone has helped you can Rate their Post and add to their Reputation. (There's a 'Star' with (rate this post) next to it. Just click on that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schoots View Post
    I decided to create a new thread because the earlier one is so long that it would be hard for somebody to figure out what is going on.

To begin with I would like to thank MAX187Boucher for the great support. He stayed with me during several attempts and ultimately figured out how to solve the problem. He is rated a "Frenzied Member" and I can see why
    I am just documenting what I had to do to get VB working again so other people can benefit from it.

Problem:

VB 6.0 program could not load components any more into projects. ( Windows 7, Internet Explorer 10)

Solution:

First step was to unregister the ocx files in both the system32 and the sysWOW64 folder.

To unregister run first cmd.exe in sysWOW64 folder in administrative mode.
    In the command window change the directory to c:\windows\sysWOW64. (cd.. and then cd\sysWOW64)
    Unregister the ocx file in the sysWOW64 folder (regsvr32.exe /u c:windows\sysWOW64\file.ocx)

Next unregister the ocx file with the cmd.exe in the system32 folder.
    Run in administrative mode.
    In the command window change directory to system32 folder (cd.. and cd \system32)
    Unregister the ocx file in sysWOW64 folder (regsvr32.exe /u c:windows\sysWOW64\file.ocx)

Finally register the ocx file in the sysWOW64 folder.
    Run cmd.exe in the sysWOW64 folder in administrative mode.
    Change directory to c:\windows\sysWOW64 as follows:
    cd ..
    cd sysWOW64
    then register the file: regsvr32.exe c:\windows\sysWOW\file.ocx.

After all of this the component loaded in Visual Basic. Problem solved.

I don't understand why one has to unregister four times but then the registration process is somewhat of an unknown to me.

What caused the problem?
    I suspect that the installation (without my knowledge, it came along with a Flash update) and then the uninstalling of the Chrome Browser on my computer is at the root of the problem.
    More anecdotic evidence: I decide to install VB on my wife's laptop just in case I would not be able to fix my computer. VB worked all right. Because the laptop was rather slow I decided to delete some files. One of them was the Chrome toolbar that sat there without her knowledge. I did delete the toolbar and low and behold the VB program on the laptop had the same problem as the one on my computer. It could not load components anymore.

I wish somebody could take a hard look at this. If it can be proven that the Chrome web browser and toolbar can screw up your computer . They should be kept responsible for it.
    Thanks a lot Mr. Peter Schoots, really it worked for me I was being trying since last 3 days to solve this issue as I installed vb6 on win7 64 bit professional machine, earlier I installed in another win 7 64 bit professional machine it didn't gave me any problem but, this time it did.

Ultimately was googling it and really your method worked I was unregistering only once and then registering it was not working but, when i did twice unregistering and then registering it worked.

Thanks a Lot...