Thread: use filestream or not?

Lively Member

use filestream or not?

I'm building a sql server 2008 r2 database to store blob data for an imaging system. This link (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=sql.105).aspx) recommends using the filestream functionality if on average my objects are larger than 1 mb, otherwise it says to just store the data in the table. My historical data to this point is as follows: 1,453,970 objects, 1,402,778 smaller than 1 mb, 51,192 larger than 1 mb, average size (simply total mb/number of objects) is .26 mb. The large objects range anywhere from just over 1 mb all the way to 387 mb on the extreme end (there is only 1 of those). Does anyone have any recommendations to offer based on my data of whether I should use filestream or not based on their experience? Thanks in advance.

Lively Member

Re: use filestream or not?

bump

Re: use filestream or not?

How are you going to use those files in DB? Are you going to search by file contents or just search by their filenames? If you want to search by file contents then yes, filestream makes sense. If you only want to store files in the database but search only by filename then you don't need to use filestreams. The idea of filestream was that you can use different filters and search file contents. For example you can search contents of PDF, Word, Excel etc.