Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nintendo Emulator v0.65 (VB6)

Re: Nintendo Emulator v0.65 (VB6)

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I have a question Jacob....Why do you use QueryPerformanceCounter ? What's its function ? MSDN says returns a count of a high resolution counter. What does that mean in layman's terms ?
    Because its a high resolution timer. Practically the highest resolution timer out there. And can be used for real time related things such as game physics, locking framerates, getting FPS, timing things, anything to do with time, etc. You could alternatively use the timeGetTime API. But its not as a high resolution. But a good alternative if you feel QueryPerformanceCounter is overkill. Its a matter of preference.

Ah, I think I get it. I suppose for something like an emulator, that kind of precision is necessary. I made simple game-like engines in the past without it so I guess its not that big a deal in such a scenario.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by omundodogabriel View Post
    I managed to add DirectX to vb.net, and ported all sound emulation code to use with the new DirectSound. However, in runtime, vb show the error NullReferenceException. What I am doing wrong?

Edit: Already discovered the problem, I forgot to call the function DirectSound_Initialize
    Now is giving a ArgumentException error on Sound_Process_Through_Mixer function ....

Edit 2: FIXED! It's working perfectly now! NES vb.net emulator now with sound! The source with working sound engine is attached! OMG, i can ever hear bricks breaking now!
    Code:
    Option Explicit On
    Imports Microsoft.DirectX
    Imports Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound
    Module DSound
        'Public DX As DirectX9

'Public DirectSound_Enum As Enum
        Private Sound_Device As New Device
        Public Sound_Buffer As SecondaryBuffer
        Private Sound_Buffer_Description As New DirectSound.BufferDescription()
        Public Sound_Buffer_Wave_Format As New WaveFormat()

Public Const MAX_VOLUME As Long = 100
        Public Buffer_Length As Long, Half_Buffer_Length As Long
        Public Buffer_Size As Long
        Public Sound_Data() As Byte
        Public Sub DirectSound_Initialize()

'DX = New DirectSound
            'DirectSound_Enum = DX.GetDSEnum
            'DirectSound = DX.DirectSoundCreate(DirectSound_Enum.GetGuid(1))

With Sound_Buffer_Wave_Format
                .FormatTag = WaveFormatTag.Pcm
                .Channels = 1 '1 = Mono   2 = Stereo. The NES is Mono
                .BitsPerSample = 16
                .SamplesPerSecond = 44100 '22050
                .BlockAlign = (.BitsPerSample * .Channels) / 8
                .AverageBytesPerSecond = ((.BitsPerSample / 8) * .Channels) * .SamplesPerSecond

Buffer_Size = .AverageBytesPerSecond '* 5
                ReDim Sound_Data(Buffer_Size)

Half_Buffer_Length = .AverageBytesPerSecond / 2 '/ 15
                Half_Buffer_Length = Half_Buffer_Length + (Half_Buffer_Length Mod .BlockAlign)
            End With

Buffer_Length = Half_Buffer_Length * 2

Sound_Device.SetCooperativeLevel(Form1.Handle, CooperativeLevel.Normal)

With Sound_Buffer_Description
                .Format = Sound_Buffer_Wave_Format
                .BufferBytes = Buffer_Length
                'DSBCAPS_STICKYFOCUS - means it will keep playing even if our application does not have focus
                .Flags = BufferDescriptionFlags.ControlPositionNotify Or _
                          BufferDescriptionFlags.StickyFocus Or _
                          BufferDescriptionFlags.ControlFrequency Or _
                          BufferDescriptionFlags.ControlPan Or _
                          BufferDescriptionFlags.ControlVolume
            End With

Sound_Buffer = New SecondaryBuffer(Sound_Buffer_Description, Sound_Device)
            'DirectSound.CreateSoundBuffer(Sound_Buffer_Description)
            Sound_Channel_Clear_Buffer()
            Set_Sound_Volume(Sound_Buffer, 100)
            Play_Sound_Loop(Sound_Buffer)
            'Sound_Buffer.Play(0, DirectSound.BufferPlayFlags.Looping)
        End Sub
        Public Sub Play_Sound(ByVal Sound_Buffer As SecondaryBuffer)
            Sound_Buffer.SetCurrentPosition(0)
            Sound_Buffer.Play(0, BufferPlayFlags.Default)
        End Sub
        Public Sub Play_Sound_Once(ByVal Sound_Buffer As SecondaryBuffer)
            Sound_Buffer.Play(0, BufferPlayFlags.Default)
        End Sub
        Public Sub Play_Sound_Loop(ByVal Sound_Buffer As SecondaryBuffer)
            Sound_Buffer.Play(0, BufferPlayFlags.Looping)
        End Sub
        Public Sub Pause_Sound(ByVal Sound_Buffer As SecondaryBuffer)
            Sound_Buffer.Stop()
        End Sub
        Public Sub Set_Sound_Volume(ByVal Buffer As SecondaryBuffer, ByVal Volume As Long)
            If Volume >= MAX_VOLUME Then Volume = MAX_VOLUME
            If Volume <= 0 Then Volume = 0
            Buffer.Volume = ((Volume / MAX_VOLUME) * 10000) + -10000
        End Sub
    Here is the code with sound
    Attachment 100711
    I oughta check this out. The bricks actually making the breaking sound? No way!

[EDIT] Yea no bricks breaking on my end. Its just a thump which I believe comes from the triangle or rectangle channel. The brick breaking noise is suppose to sound like the bricks are crumbling. You get that satisfying feeling with the thump combined with the crackling noise, knowing you broke the bricks.

Also you forgot to shut off the sound when you close out of it. It persists after you exit the program. I get on average 55 fps on my computer at least. I'll try to work with the sound more so. I'm browsing through virtuanes's source code on the apu to get ideas. It probably has something to do with the IRQ implementation over in register $4017 which I did not put in. But thats just a wild guess. Wont know for sure till then.

Addicted Member omundodogabriel's Avatar

Already solved the speed problem. The code "Play_Sound_Loop (Sound_Buffer)" on 6502.vb play the sound buffer, but the buffer is already being played trough the Sound_Process_Through_Mixer function. I deleted that line of code, and speed is back to 200 fps

As for the breaking bricks sound, I was pretty sure I heard the first time, now also do not hear anymore ...

Edit: In fact, I can only hear the breaking blocks in a rom hack of Super Mario Bros . I don't know why, since the only difference is some graphic changes. I am attaching the rom hack.
    Acid Bros (SMB1 Hack).zip
    Last edited by omundodogabriel; Jun 2nd, 2013 at 12:46 PM.

Name:  nesnet_mmc5_working.png
Views: 1070
Size:  33.0 KB

The mapper MMC5 is already working, at least for Castlevania 3. Still has some problems regarding the name tables, but I believe that it shouldn't be difficult to solve.

The mappers MMC5 is one of the most complex to emulate.

Quote Originally Posted by omundodogabriel View Post
    Already solved the speed problem. The code "Play_Sound_Loop (Sound_Buffer)" on 6502.vb play the sound buffer, but the buffer is already being played trough the Sound_Process_Through_Mixer function. I deleted that line of code, and speed is back to 200 fps

As for the breaking bricks sound, I was pretty sure I heard the first time, now also do not hear anymore ...

Edit: In fact, I can only hear the breaking blocks in a rom hack of Super Mario Bros . I don't know why, since the only difference is some graphic changes. I am attaching the rom hack.
    Acid Bros (SMB1 Hack).zip
    That is very strange. I hear bricks breaking on the vb.net version, but not the vb6 version. I'm gonna have to take a look at your code to see what you have done differently.

Actually, I just did the conversion of your code to directx 9, I have not changed anything but the buffer size. The block breaking noise on Mario hack works on both vb.net and vb6 versions here, but not on the original game... It's really is very weird.

Already fixed all the problems related to Castlevania 3, was just the IRQ that was not working. Now Castlevania 3 is perfect. I will test other MMC5 games.

Edit: Castlevania 3 still have some Mirroring problems...

Name:  castlevania3_fixed.png
Views: 1173
Size:  27.5 KB
    Last edited by omundodogabriel; Jun 3rd, 2013 at 06:25 PM.

I'm putting the progress I've made so far in the code if Jacob wants to improve and fix the current problems. I'll take a break for now, I have other projects I want to work, but soon I will work on it again.

Main changes:
    - Added Mappers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    - Improved Menus, need a english translation
    - Added controls
    - Fixed some PPU issues
    - Some settings

ToDo:
    - Faster Blit function (maybe with DirectX?), FullScreen is too slow
    - Mapeable Keyboard keys and USB Joystick support
    - Fix some sprite priority issues (on foreground or background), Simpsons the space ship is behind the stars and the moon!
    - Fix some Noise channel problems and add DMC channel
    - Add translations support

Source Here:
    NES.net_rev2_src.zip

I'm wanting to make a snes emulator for vb, after fix the issues with this emulator of course. Jacob, you will help me?

Pretty nice job! just played the mario! brought back memories!

Thanks. It was a royal pain to put together and took a lot of research. Was pretty cool for both of us emulator developers to work on it.

Sega genesis is your next step! I'm sure you can handle it!

Although I don't think something like that is even possible in VB6. even if it is, it's going to be a pain in (You know where!!) but maybe .Net can handle it.

If it were me, I would export all the heavy lifting to C++ libraries. You really cannot touch C++ for creating super fast algorithms. Some of the best emulators make use of assembly. ZSNES, which is considered to be one of the greatest SNES emulators ever made was written in pure assembly. If you're emulating hardware like that used for an advanced system like the Sega Genesis you really want speed. Neither VB6 nor VB.Net can natively provide such astonishing speed. Then again, we are in 2013 so the sheer speed of processors today may render that point moot.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by kivisoft@ View Post
    Sega genesis is your next step! I'm sure you can handle it!

Although I don't think something like that is even possible in VB6. even if it is, it's going to be a pain in (You know where!!) but maybe .Net can handle it.
    Ugh dont get me started on .Net. Well end up turning this thread into another VS war and I'm pretty sure Niyas in agreement we don't want that again. omundodogabriel has already ported it to VB.Net only he found it to be extremely slow compared to VB6. You can find out yourself has he has it available for download in one of the posts in this thread. If you read up eventually youll find it. Gotta hit the sack again because Im never this up early. I just woke up from a sound sleep in the middle of the crack of dawn and I'm not a morning person!

I was thinking about making a Genesis version. Its already been done in Gameboy in VB6 only the comments are in Japanese. Hell I even got documentation on Playstation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Roman View Post
    Ugh dont get me started on .Net. Well end up turning this thread into another VS war and I'm pretty sure Niyas in agreement we don't want that again.
    Well this kind of thing is your domain. I'm not gonna argue you on something I know little about. I've never written an emulator or even anything close so I'd be more than willing to defer to you on this. If VB6 is better than VB.Net for this then I'm not gonna even try and debate that. You'd know better than I do.

I agree the whole argument on Which one is better (VB6 or VB.NET) is just stupid. Every language has it's capabilities and it's limitations, I always laughed at those who say "C++" is good for anything, I have no C++ skills but that is just crap. which is why knowing multiple languages is useful, you can pick the one that is right for the job. And about VB6, as I Always said "It gets the job done FAST" and that's it (maybe I should put that in my sig!). There is currently two versions of this Emu (VB6 and .NET) now ask yourself which one took more time? definitely VB.NET but that doesn't necessarily means that VB6 is better.
    Code is the Void

Its already been done in Gameboy in VB6 only the comments are in Japanese.
    Well, it shouldn't be too hard to translate it into English! You wouldn't even need the Japanese comments. I am sure a master such as yourself can tell what is happening just by looking at the code?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

I honestly dont know how I'm gonna simulate Blast Processing if I do the Genesis. Genesis does what Nintendont

I honestly dont know how I'm gonna simulate Blast Processing if I do the Genesis. Genesis does what Nintendont
    Whoa...I had to look up that term. Seems there is some controversy behind it because it was overhyped so as to become an effective marketing gimmick. But technically, it seems simple enough. Something about using DMA to do bit block transfers, not that I really know anything about that.

lol....aggressive marketing.

If I do make a Sega Genesis Emulator I am definitely adding this sub:

vb Code:
    1. Public Sub Blast_Processing
    2.      'Do Blast Processing here!!!
    3. End Sub

Might be more like this:-
    vbnet Code:
    1. Public Class BlastProcessor
    3.     Public Sub Blast(ByVal src As IntPtr, ByVal dest As IntPtr, ByVal cb As Integer)
    4.         'Blast processing code!!!!
    5.     End Sub
    7. End Class

Do you think you're up to the challenge ?....I wish I had massive amounts of time to spend on non-profitable ventures. I would really love to spend my days learning about these things in depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Do you think you're up to the challenge ?....I wish I had massive amounts of time to spend on non-profitable ventures. I would really love to spend my days learning about these things in depth.
    Really?! sounds like a true pain! it's like reading a note in chines!
    Code is the Void

The NES emulator uses the 6502 CPU with 56 opcodes and 13 address modes. Any start in designing any emulator starts with the CPU. So if I do the Sega Genesis I would have to simulate the 68000 CPU. Its gonna be tough but very possible.

I've always found it quite cute that processors and emulate other processors. There is a beautiful symmetry about that.

A sega genesis emulator? It would be amazing to play the Sega classics like Sonic 3 on an emulator made ​​in vb6! It would be the first emulator of a 16-bit system in vb. The CPU will be very hard to do, but after this, emulate the apu and ppu should be easy! If you want I am willing to help in this project.

As for the Gameboy emulator, there is a very good Gameboy Color emulator for vb6 in english with sound called BasicBoy, and code is avaible!, it's worth a look:
    http://www.zophar.net/gb/basicboy.html

If anyone is interested, here is the latest version of Nes.net. I probably will not touch it again.
    NES.net_rev3.zip

-Gabriel.

Yeah sure lets do it and make history. Blast Processing on VB6 =D

Yeah sure lets do it and make history. Blast Processing on VB6 =D
    Well, I tried to find documents about sega genesis emulation (68k CPU and VPU), and found very little. The best I got so far was reading the Rom Header . You've managed to find good simple emulators and good documents that we can rely?

I created a thread on it in the games and graphics section. All the info you need will be there and lots more to come

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12