Thread: [RESOLVED] Unable to create dataset

Resolved [RESOLVED] Unable to create dataset

Hello,

Here's some general information about my environment:
    Visual Studio 2010
    SQL Server 2008 R2
    Windows 7 64bit

When I try to add a connection to my server explorer, I type in the server name and it fetches the tables correctly (so i choose the one I want). When I click on "Test connection" or "OK" I get the following error:
    Name:  sql_version.png
Views: 510
Size:  18.1 KB

As mentioned above, I have SQL Server 2008 R2 ...
    Thank you!
    Alex

Re: Unable to create dataset

My guess is that you're programming for 64bit using a 32bit version of SQL Server or vice versa!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Interesting... Both my SQL Server and Visual Studio 2010 are 32bits but my computer is running a 64 bit version of Windows 7. That wouldn't bother anything right?

Not in itself, no. The crucial problem is what platform you're building for. From the Build Menu select Configuration Manager. If any of the configurations target AnyCPU or x64, you'll need to set them to x86.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Yeah I tried changing the Targetted CPU to x86 and I still received the same error. Bummer... I tried deleting my SQL 2005 version that I had previously as well, didn't change anything either.

Are you doing all this with the built-in datasource tools? I don't use them much, so I'm not even sure I have the name right, but that's what it sounds like you are doing. It also sounds like the connection string may be less than you would hope for. Can you see the connection string? If so, that would be the first place I would look.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Umm I'm not sure what the built-in datasource tool is but here's what I'm doing:

1. I go in my server explorer to add a new database connection
    Name:  vbforums_1.png
Views: 322
Size:  8.2 KB

2. I choose SQL Server
    Name:  vbforums_2.png
Views: 373
Size:  25.9 KB

3. I enter in the correct information. Also one with a username and password (the one required to access the database)
    Name:  vbforums_3.png
Views: 410
Size:  35.8 KB Name:  vbforums_5.png
Views: 333
Size:  39.6 KB

5. To get this result in both cases
    Name:  vbforums_4.png
Views: 339
Size:  16.5 KB

My apologies. After triple checking with the system administrators they found out that the server (AMFSE) that I was trying to connect to, was infact SQL Server 2000. You can stamp this as resolved or FAIL on my part... Thank you everyone who tried to help!