Thread: [RESOLVED] Reading and displaying text contents of an open txt file using rtb

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Reading and displaying text contents of an open txt file using rtb

I have a code that records all the user interaction with an application on a text file.

Code:
        Public Shared fs As New FileStream(Application.LocalUserAppDataPath & "\mcb.txt", FileMode.OpenOrCreate, FileAccess.ReadWrite)
        Public Shared m_streamWriter As New StreamWriter(fs)

Private Sub frmMain_Load(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            ' Write to the file using StreamWriter class
            m_streamWriter.BaseStream.Seek(0, SeekOrigin.End)
            m_streamWriter.Write(" File Write Operation Starts : ")
            m_streamWriter.WriteLine("{0} {1}", DateTime.Now.ToLongTimeString(), DateTime.Now.ToLongDateString())
            m_streamWriter.WriteLine(" ===================================== " + ControlChars.Lf)
            m_streamWriter.Flush()
        End Sub
    Now I want to display the contents of the text file on a richtextbox, but I'm getting an error. This is my code for displaying

Code:
    Me.rtbTrack.LoadFile(Application.LocalUserAppDataPath & "\mcb.txt", RichTextBoxStreamType.PlainText)
    The error I'm getting is "The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Tum\AppData\Local\Powerware_System\Powerware System\1.0.0.0\mcb.txt' because it is being used by another process."

Any suggesion of getting my way out of it? Is it possible to read an open file, open in the same application? Please lead me...

Thank you..

Frenzied Member

Re: Reading and displaying text contents of an open txt file using rtb

I beleive you need to close the streamwriter? and or the file
    alternatively you can use
    using and end using in your code to close it out
    Last edited by billboy; Jan 28th, 2013 at 01:27 AM.

Hi,

Typically, I would agree that you need to close a file before another process can use it. However, and after a quick play, I am surprised to find that using the FileSystem.CopyFile method will happily create a copy of a file even though you currently have that file open for writing in your project. See here:-

Code:
    My.Computer.FileSystem.CopyFile("d:\temp\MyFile.txt", "d:\temp\Temp.txt", True)
    You have to ensure to use the Flush method of the StreamWriter to ensure data is flushed to the file but after this copy is called you just simply read the temporary file.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ian

Lively Member

Thanks men, I found copying the file each time I want to read is better.. Solved