Thread: [RESOLVED] Setting Focus of a Textbox in an External application

Resolved [RESOLVED] Setting Focus of a Textbox in an External application

I have searched everywhere on multiple forums and can't find the answer to this tricky one.

Currently I have used the SetForegroundWindow to bring the window to the front first and I have the hWnd of the textbox in the external application and I also have attached the thread input to the other application. It's also just the current "tab focus" that is all i needed to change, for example the window by default has a command button "tab focused" (highlighted) and I would like to change that to the textbox, either while the form is visible or not, but when the form gets focus I would like the focus to be in the textbox ready to type.

So far i've tried: Using the SetFocus API, I've tried using SendMessage to send BM_CLICK (although of course that wouldn't work) and I'm stuck at this point, any ideas?

Re: Setting Focus of a Textbox in an External application

Can you post the code you're using? Also, which OS are you testing your code with?
    On Local Error Resume Next: If Not Empty Is Nothing Then Do While Null: ReDim i(True To False) As Currency: Loop: Else Debug.Assert CCur(CLng(CInt(CBool(False Imp True Xor False Eqv True)))): Stop: On Local Error GoTo 0
    Declare Sub CrashVB Lib "msvbvm60" (Optional DontPassMe As Any)

I'm using Windows 7 and here is my code below:

hWndDirections is the textbox that I would like to set the focus to, and hWndParent is the Form that contains the textbox.

Code:
    If IsWindowEnabled(hWndAltK) = 0 Then
            MsgBox "QuickS3 could not get the directions for this product." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Please notify one of the dispensary staff that there is no sig for this product.", vbInformation, "QuickS3"
            SetForegroundWindow (hWndParent)
            PutFocus (hWndDirections) 'SetFocus API of directions textbox (which is a child of hWndParent)
            Exit Sub
        End If

I thought you called AttachThreadInput?

I tried a small test app (on XP) using only GetWindowThreadProcessId, AttachThreadInput and SetFocus. I was able to set focus to any window or control once I obtained their hWnd. Have you tried checking the return value of SetFocus and Err.LastDllError?
    On Local Error Resume Next: If Not Empty Is Nothing Then Do While Null: ReDim i(True To False) As Currency: Loop: Else Debug.Assert CCur(CLng(CInt(CBool(False Imp True Xor False Eqv True)))): Stop: On Local Error GoTo 0

I got it working! Thanks Bonnie, I thought I did call AttachThreadInput and I did however I shared the two threads then as soon as I set the foreground window I set them to False so they no longer shared the same thread therefore when I ran the code above it didn't work. I wouldn't have looked back at my AttachThreadInput if it wasn't for you! Thanks so much for your quick replies!

SetForegroundWindow doesn't seem to be needed for SetFocus to work...

That's ok, that's actually a bonus! I still needed to set the foreground window anyway so that the user can start typing in the specified textbox after i alert them that my program couldn't find directions, but that's good to know! Thanks
    Last edited by koushi; Jan 16th, 2013 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Spelling