Thread: [RESOLVED] SQLDataAdapter/Dataset Replacement Question.

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] SQLDataAdapter/Dataset Replacement Question.

My company has an app that was originally written in vb.net for .net 1.0. It is using a MS SQL 2008 database to access data.

I'm in the process of overhauling the app completely.

It uses sql data adapters and datasets to load, and update data.

I'm wondering what the proper alternative to the SQL Data Adapter is.

My app has textbox fields that are bound to the dataset, as well as datagridviews (or the old datagrid).

I'm just wanting to modernize the app, and curious to know if anything has replaced the dataAdapter/dataset.

Thanks!

Re: SQLDataAdapter/Dataset Replacement Question.

Well, you're assuming that Datasets/tables/adaptors are somehow out of date... hardly so.. they are still alive and kicking. LINQ and EF (Entity Framework) have been added to VB over the years... but your basic, ordinary run of the mill DataSets/Tables/Adaptors still work.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

Re: SQLDataAdapter/Dataset Replacement Question.

Thanks, techgnome. I had searched for an alternative, and this would be why I didn't come up with anything.

Just wanted to make sure I was keeping with the times.

Thanks again!
    Tuber

"I don't know the rules"