Page 77 of 94 FirstFirst ... 27677475767778798087 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,080 of 3725

Thread: CommonControls (Replacement of the MS common controls)

Addicted Member

Re: CommonControls (Replacement of the MS common controls)

On the classic toolbar, there is a little space above and below the buttons.

The buttons on a CCR toolbar have also that space above them, but the bottom of each button is at the edge of the toolbar, which gives it a strange look. Is it possible to have a little space there as well?

Addicted Member

And one more question about the toolbar: do I understand correctly that tooltips don't support Unicode texts?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeePiper View Post
    Issue: Toolbar control changing size properties without user action

Forgive if this has already been discussed (but I did not find any reference in the thread). I have a few projects using the VBCCR controls, and have found that certain forms want to be updated and saved by VB6 when there has been no change to the form. All that is needed to cause this is to open the form (either Code or Object) and then close it. Even a search that touches the code in the form will cause this. I have tracked it down to the Toolbar (and its button) width and height properties changing. (I made files before and after touching the form to look for changes.) There does not appear to be any functional issues with this, but it causes any form to want to be re-saved even when there have been no changes, and it always makes me go back and check it I have accidentally updated anything.

Note that none of the other controls that I have used (TextboxW, LabelW, CommandButtonW) are showing this behavior. Thanks for your help (as always)!
    That is a really good catch. Indeed there is no functional issue, but the property bag is always fooled as if there was a change.
    I could fix it by adding below red code in the UserControl_WriteProperties sub.
    Code:
    .WriteProperty "ButtonHeight", Int(PropButtonHeight / PixelsPerDIP_Y()), 22
    .WriteProperty "ButtonWidth", Int(PropButtonWidth / PixelsPerDIP_X()), 24
    I check it soon for other cases and will make a bundled update soon.

EDIT: The above seems not to be the reason. In my further testings this has something todo with ImageList property. But I don't understand why..

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin69 View Post
    On the classic toolbar, there is a little space above and below the buttons.

The buttons on a CCR toolbar have also that space above them, but the bottom of each button is at the edge of the toolbar, which gives it a strange look. Is it possible to have a little space there as well?
    Confirm. I noted this down. It seems the MS toolbar uses TB_SETPADDING, which the CCR does not use.
    I will eveluate this and set TB_SETPADDING in the CCR toolbar likewise as the MS toolbar does.

EDIT: TB_SETPADDING is not the cause. It just says the distance between the button edge and the inner text/image of a button.

And one more question about the toolbar: do I understand correctly that tooltips don't support Unicode texts?
    The ToolBar.Buttons(X).ToolTipText supports Unicode.
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 765
Size:  11.1 KB

Only the VBControlExtender's ToolTipText property is VB6 in-built and thus ANSI.

I'm wondering if I will add the option of giving the user the choice between two sizes toolbar buttons. Let's say one based on 16x16 buttons, another based on 32x32.

What would be the best way to do that? Create two toolbars, and switch the visual property on/off? Stick to one toolbar, and change imagelist during runtime depending on the user's choice?
    Stick to one toolbar and set the .ImageList dynamically. Thus you only need to maintain one toolbar's config.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosam AL Dein View Post
    In listview , Underlining hot item works only when moving by mouse vertically (In the same column) . If I move mouse horizontally (Within the same row) , it is not then changed .
    It seems to be an refresh issue and thus not a bug in the CCR. I did for testing a Timer with interval each second which does a .Refresh on the ListView and then the underlining hot item will change horizontally. (within same row)
    Last edited by Krool; Mar 9th, 2021 at 03:12 PM.

Addicted Member

Hi Krool ,
    In ListView , Is SelectedItem absent (Destroyed) when MultiSelect prpoerty is True and there is more than one item selected ?
    Last edited by Hosam AL Dein; Mar 8th, 2021 at 09:41 AM.

PowerPoster

Hi Krool ,
    In ListView , Is SelectedItem absent (Destroyed) when MultiSelect prpoerty is True and there is more than one item selected ?
    It returns the focused item.

Addicted Member

This code raises an error 91 "Object variable or With block variable not set"

In event ItemSelect ,Please put this code and hold Ctrl to select more than one Item . This will raise the previous error
    Code:
    Dim a As String

If Selected = True Then
           a = IIf(Len(Trim(Listview1.SelectedItem.text)) = 0, vbNullString, Listview1.SelectedItem.text)
    End If
    Although it does not raise an error if removed form this event and placed anywhere else and gets the last recently selected item .

Addicted Member

Another Issue I found while testing , is that when I select more than one item and Unselect one of them , then the SelectedItem reads the last Unselected Item .

This will lead me to ask what is the difference between the focused item and the selected item ?

Addicted Member

Now I see that Focused is that last Selected Or the last Unselected Item . Thus for more clear understanding I can call the .SelectedItem as .FocusedItem ?
    And the word Selected does not literally mean it is selected but means it is focused(Selected or UnSelected). Is that right ?

The second part of the question is , Why does this raise an error when placed in the ItemSelect event ?

Addicted Member

Again thanks for the quick feedback Krool!

Only the VBControlExtender's ToolTipText property is VB6 in-built and thus ANSI.
    Is this referring to the tooltip that is used for e.g. CommandButtonW?

Lively Member

Hi krool
    Can I automatically size the drop-down width of the comboboxw based on the width of the longest item?
    thanks

PowerPoster

@ Hosam AL Dein, the ListView.SelectedItem returns the focused item where a focus rectangle is drawn and not necessarily blue highlighted.

Is this referring to the tooltip that is used for e.g. CommandButtonW?
    Yes, for example.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Adebiyi24 View Post
    Hi krool
    Can I automatically size the drop-down width of the comboboxw based on the width of the longest item?
    thanks
    If you want to have the big size text fit into the drop-down area then try:
    A) .HorizontalExtent = .GetIdealHorizontalExtent()
    B) .DropDownWidth = .GetIdealHorizontalExtent() + Me.ScaleX(4, vbPixels, Me.ScaleMode) ' small extra buffer to account border widths etc.

Option A) uses CB_SETHORIZONTALEXTEND API.
    MSDN: If the width of the list box is smaller than this value, the horizontal scroll bar horizontally scrolls items in the list box. If the width of the list box is equal to or greater than this value, the horizontal scroll bar is hidden or, if the combo box has the CBS_DISABLENOSCROLL style, disabled.
    You can use the .DisableNoScroll property to control whether CBS_DISABLENOSCROL is set or not.

Option B) uses CB_SETDROPPEDWIDTH API.
    MSDN: By default, the minimum allowable width of the drop-down list box is zero. The width of the list box is either the minimum allowable width or the combo box width, whichever is larger.

The .GetIdealHorizontalExtent() function is a convenient wrapper which calculates the "best" width, accounting possible WS_VSCROLL style and testing the string widths using the selected font.

Lively Member

Krool
    Million thanks

Lively Member

is there any reason there is no MaskEditBox? i know its not part of the common controls, but it is a nice thing to have.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krool View Post
    @ Hosam AL Dein, the ListView.SelectedItem returns the focused item where a focus rectangle is drawn and not necessarily blue highlighted.
    Thanks a lot Krool . This prop name fooled me as it implies that it will get the selected item and this is my first time to know this piece of info . Thanks again .

Addicted Member

Hi Krool,

Can you confirm the below conclusions on support for Unicode ToolTipTexts?

Supported on:
    ToolBar
    ListView

Not supported on:
    ComboBoxW
    CommandButtonW
    ListBoxW
    VBFlexGrid

Just want to be sure before I decide how to proceed.

Thanks,
    Erwin

PowerPoster

Hi Krool,

Can you confirm the below conclusions on support for Unicode ToolTipTexts?

Supported on:
    ToolBar
    ListView

Not supported on:
    ComboBoxW
    CommandButtonW
    ListBoxW
    VBFlexGrid

Just want to be sure before I decide how to proceed.
    VBFlexGrid has two tool tip text. The .CellToolTipText supports unicode. The VBControlExtender's ToolTipText is VB6 in-built and thus ANSI.

Hyperactive Member

Krool,

I have a ListView control that has the possibility of needing to show over 1 million items (it’s in a file manager I am almost finished with). It seems like a great opportunity to use VirtualMode. However, I am not sure how to do it with your control. In .NET there is an event called RetrieveVirtualItem that notifies you when you need to feed the control more data as he user moves up/down in the control. I have looked through your parameters and I don’t see an event I can use that does something similar.

Am I missing something or do I need to subclass it? Is there an example somewhere of how to use VirtualMode with your ListView control? In general I have found extremely little online about VB6 and VirtualMode. Almost everything I have fond is for .NET and without the RetrieveVirtulItem event these aren’t of much use to me. Thanks.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    Krool,

I have a ListView control that has the possibility of needing to show over 1 million items (it’s in a file manager I am almost finished with). It seems like a great opportunity to use VirtualMode. However, I am not sure how to do it with your control. In .NET there is an event called RetrieveVirtualItem that notifies you when you need to feed the control more data as he user moves up/down in the control. I have looked through your parameters and I don’t see an event I can use that does something similar.

Am I missing something or do I need to subclass it? Is there an example somewhere of how to use VirtualMode with your ListView control? In general I have found extremely little online about VB6 and VirtualMode. Almost everything I have fond is for .NET and without the RetrieveVirtulItem event these aren’t of much use to me. Thanks.
    You looked not good..
    There is an event 'GetVirtualItem', 'FindVirtualItem', 'CacheVirtualItem'.
    Also use the .VirtualListItems collection retrieve selected state etc. of the items.

Addicted Member

Hi Krool,

Can I control which of the scrollbars are displayed in a ListView with Report style, or is that always dynamically decided based on the combined column width, and number of rows?

PowerPoster

Hi Krool,

Can I control which of the scrollbars are displayed in a ListView with Report style, or is that always dynamically decided based on the combined column width, and number of rows?
    There is no listview message or style for this.
    So, basically No.

However, some imperfect/inefficient workarounds are shown in the link below.
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-in-a-listview

Addicted Member

I’m using a ListView in report style with checkboxes. Multiselect is False. The idea is that there is always only one item selected, but Multiselect doesn’t stop multiple items being checked. So I added the following code to the ItemCheck event:

Code:
        Dim i As Integer
        'Uncheck all items
        For i = 1 To lvPositionLabels.ListItems.Count
             lvPositionLabels.ListItems(i).Checked = False
        Next
        'Check and select the clicked item
        Item.Checked = True
        Item.Selected = True
    This worked fine with the standard ListView, but with the CCListView both checking and unchecking an item fires the ItemCheck event. (Which is logic I guess.)

The question is though, how can I ensure only the last clicked item is checked. I’m probably missing something simple, but am stuck…

PowerPoster

I’m using a ListView in report style with checkboxes. Multiselect is False. The idea is that there is always only one item selected, but Multiselect doesn’t stop multiple items being checked. So I added the following code to the ItemCheck event:

Code:
        Dim i As Integer
        'Uncheck all items
        For i = 1 To lvPositionLabels.ListItems.Count
             lvPositionLabels.ListItems(i).Checked = False
        Next
        'Check and select the clicked item
        Item.Checked = True
        Item.Selected = True
    This worked fine with the standard ListView, but with the CCListView both checking and unchecking an item fires the ItemCheck event. (Which is logic I guess.)

The question is though, how can I ensure only the last clicked item is checked. I’m probably missing something simple, but am stuck…
    Please find below a working code snippet:
    Code:
    Private Sub ListView1_ItemCheck(ByVal Item As LvwListItem, ByVal Checked As Boolean)
    If Checked = True Then
        Dim vItem As Variant, iItem As Long
        iItem = Item.Index
        With ListView1.ListItems
        For Each vItem In ListView1.CheckedIndices
            If vItem <> iItem Then .Item(vItem).Checked = False
        Next vItem
        End With
    End If
    End Sub
    EDIT: Below way is even more efficient:
    Code:
    Private Sub ListView1_ItemCheck(ByVal Item As LvwListItem, ByVal Checked As Boolean)
    Static iItemPrev As Long
    If Checked = True Then
        If iItemPrev > 0 Then ListView1.ListItems(iItemPrev).Checked = False
        iItemPrev = Item.Index
    Else
        iItemPrev = 0
    End If
    End Sub
    Last edited by Krool; Mar 10th, 2021 at 03:51 PM.

Addicted Member

Thanks for the ListView answer. That fixed my problem! (I really feel like an amateur here at times... )

I'm slowly but steadily progressing towards the full conversion to the CCR set of controls. One area still to be addressed is the toolbars. I've been playing around for a good few hours with the Toolbar and ImageList controls to figure out how to deal with transparent backgrounds, but haven't been able to find the best way to move forward.

Two key questions:

1. What do you recommend as the format for the images to be in?
    2. What is the best way to deal with background transparency?

Fanatic Member

Toolbar images

Erwin, here's what I do:
    PNGs with transparency are stored in a ressource DLL.
    On app start I fill VBCCR imagelists by code.
    Then I populate the toolbars by code using the imagelists.

Populating the toolbars is very fast.
    Transparency works well.
    Nothing to complain.

Addicted Member

Hi Krool ,
    In ListView ,
    1- Is it possible to add a Column_Select Event ?
    2- In HitTest method , How do I get the item/subitem being clicked ? . It always returns the first column . What should I do to get the (Cell) being clicked ? . I tried various values for the SubitemIndex parameter and got the same results . I have no clue of its purpose or how it is used .
    3- Is it possible to highlight only the selected (Cell) . In Full Row Select mode it selects all (Cells) and when disabled it selects the (Cell) from first column . Is it possible to add this feature or there is a workaround for this ?
    Last edited by Hosam AL Dein; Mar 11th, 2021 at 04:57 PM.

PowerPoster

2- In HitTest method , How do I get the item/subitem being clicked ? . It always returns the first column . What should I do to get the (Cell) being clicked ? . I tried various values for the SubitemIndex parameter and got the same results . I have no clue of its purpose or how it is used .
    Below is an example of how to use the SubItemIndex parameter in the HitTest method.
    Code:
    Private Sub ListView1_MouseMove(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
    Dim Item As LvwListItem, iSubItem As Integer
    Set Item = ListView1.HitTest(X, Y, iSubItem)
    If Not Item Is Nothing Then
        If iSubItem > 0 Then
            Debug.Print Item.ListSubItems(iSubItem).Text
        Else
            Debug.Print Item.Text
        End If
    End If
    End Sub
    3- Is it possible to highlight only the selected (Cell) . In Full Row Select mode it selects all (Cells) and when disabled it selects the (Cell) from first column . Is it possible to add this feature or there is a workaround for this ?
    No, maybe a grid fits for this better than a ListView.

Addicted Member

Thanks for feedback , but what about point 1 ?

1- Is it possible to add a Column_Select Event ?

Hyperactive Member

Krool,

I am using VirtualMode in ListView in Report mode. I need to have the capability to tell the control to refresh/update itself programatically In my file manger I have check boxes and if you turn one off for a folder I want to turn off the check boxes for the files within that folder. I looked in your code for GetVirtualItem because it is what asks me for the updated information and it is only called in the Private Function WindowProcControl which in turn is only called by ISubclass_Message. How do I tell the ListView to update itself? Thanks.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    Krool,

I am using VirtualMode in ListView in Report mode. I need to have the capability to tell the control to refresh/update itself programatically In my file manger I have check boxes and if you turn one off for a folder I want to turn off the check boxes for the files within that folder. I looked in your code for GetVirtualItem because it is what asks me for the updated information and it is only called in the Private Function WindowProcControl which in turn is only called by ISubclass_Message. How do I tell the ListView to update itself? Thanks.
    Don't know what you mean. Did you set the .VirtualItemCount property?
    You can also increase performance by disabling unwanted callbacks via the .VirtualDisabledInfos property.

Hyperactive Member

Never mind. The ListView.Refresh sub does just what its name says...

Hyperactive Member

Don't know what you mean. Did you set the .VirtualItemCount property?
    You can also increase performance by disabling unwanted callbacks via the .VirtualDisabledInfos property.
    I did set the .VirtualItemCount property. Each time you do that the control starts over and redoes the items in the display but it puts the first item in the list at the top of the display so if the user had scrolled way down in the list then this would jump it back to the top which is not what I wanted. The Refresh sub is exactly what I needed. I can change all of my virtual values (including those that will not be displayed in the current view) and then have it Refresh and it re-reads the values it needs to re-do the display leaving the entry that is at the top where it should be. I don/t know how I overlooked that sub.

Earlier I had tried to do the ListView without the virtual items and it really bogged down when the list got over 50,000 or so. With the virtual item feature it really doesn't matter how many items you have in the list, it only displays a relatively small number of them onscreen and the extra overhead of being virtual is not really noticeable.

Addicted Member

Hi krool ,
    It will be helpful if you declare the basis on which you ignore some replies on this thread .

PowerPoster

It will be helpful if you declare the basis on which you ignore some replies on this thread .
    This here is all voluntary support. I can ignore or not ignore.

In listview , Underlining hot item works only when moving by mouse vertically (In the same column) . If I move mouse horizontally (Within the same row) , it is not then changed .
    I found a solution to this. The (yet unused) notification LVN_HOTTRACK comes helpful for this.
    When processing LVN_HOTTRACK and a criteria is met then sending a LVM_UPDATE message will cause a re-fetch in NM_CUSTOMDRAW.
    So I will bring a update soon as this seems quite a straight forward (fix) solution for this issue.

but what about point 1 ?
    What you mean. You want an event when selecting a column ?
    Code:
    ListView1.SelectedColumn = ColumnHeader
    The column will be only selected upon code. So you have full control over it. What would an event benefit ? (beside the fact that there is no LVN_* notification for this)
    Last edited by Krool; Mar 15th, 2021 at 05:10 AM.

Addicted Member

This here is all voluntary support. I can ignore or not ignore .
    Do my words look offensive or something ? !!!

I understand this is voluntary . It is totally obvious . I did not complain that you don`t provide support . You shared VBCCR to the community and we give feedback including bugs or features . So , we expect some sort of feedback which you already do and million thanks for you efforts . I asked why in some cases you choose to ignore some replies so that I do not fall in this region of ignorance because nobody likes to be ignored , that`s it . It is your post and you are free to decide how you handle it . But this always made me prefer in most cases to not post a bug or feature request being afraid to be ignored or misunderstood . I have a lot to say in this situation but I don`t want to flood the thread with comments that are outside its main scope or purpose .

Sincere thanks , and keep up the good work .

I found a solution to this. The (yet unused) notification LVN_HOTTRACK comes helpful for this.
    When processing LVN_HOTTRACK and a criteria is met then sending a LVM_UPDATE message will cause a re-fetch in NM_CUSTOMDRAW.
    So I will bring a update soon as this seems quite a straight forward (fix) solution for this issue.
    Thanks a lot .

What you mean. You want an event when selecting a column ?
    Yes , this is what I mean .

The column will be only selected upon code. So you have full control over it. What would an event benefit ? (beside the fact that there is no LVN_* notification for this)
    The benefit is that there is some routine that I need to call every time a column is selected . Since it seems not possible , I will put that code in every situation that I need to check whether a column is selected or not .

Addicted Member

Do my words look offensive or something ? !!!
    If I may put my two cents worth in: the words indeed came across offensive.

Having said that, let's all appreciate that for most of us here, English is not our native language, and that sometimes our words do not come across the way they were intended.

You clarified the misunderstanding, and joined the large group of people who explicitly expressed their gratitude to Krool for the excellent work and support he provides. I personally hope that this is enough to go back to focus on the subject of this thread: Krool's Common Controls Replacements.

Regards,
    Erwin

People have different opinions and read different things into words. That doesn't mean that you two should take such a long running, and clearly valuable, thread into the ditch for some personal squabble about nothing.

Knock it off.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Karl77 View Post
    Toolbar images

Erwin, here's what I do:
    PNGs with transparency are stored in a ressource DLL.
    On app start I fill VBCCR imagelists by code.
    Then I populate the toolbars by code using the imagelists.

Populating the toolbars is very fast.
    Transparency works well.
    Nothing to complain.
    Hi Karl,

Thanks for the suggestion. Would it be possible to share some sample code on how you populate the imagelist, and assign the images to the toolbar buttons? (Or do you "preset" the button Image index?)

Thanks,
    Erwin

Addicted Member

Hi Krool,

I saw your edit on TB_SETPADDING in the CCR toolbar. Does that mean that it is not possible to have a little space between the bottom edge of the button and the edge of the toolbar?

Regards,
    Erwin

PowerPoster

Hi Krool,

I saw your edit on TB_SETPADDING in the CCR toolbar. Does that mean that it is not possible to have a little space between the bottom edge of the button and the edge of the toolbar?

Regards,
    Erwin
    Thanks for reminding.
    Please explain the need of this. Enough space for the toolbar is assured. What's the extra space good for?
    If there is a reason for it I need a way of how to get the "extra" amount..

Page 77 of 94 FirstFirst ... 27677475767778798087 ... LastLast