Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast

Thread: CommonControls (Replacement of the MS common controls)

PowerPoster

Re: CommonControls (Replacement of the MS common controls)

An additional note on my previous post - it appears that only the naked cursor keys don't work (vbKeyLeft, vbKeyRight, vbKeyUp, vbKeyDown). Press Shift+ or Ctrl+ a cursor key appears to work. Other naked navigation keys such as vbKeyHome, vbKeyEnd also appear to work as expected. Maybe a clue?

---
    Additional note: If the Usercontrol has 2 controls (e.g. your RichTextBox and TextBoxW), then the cursor keys push the focus around between the controls. Perhaps another clue?
    Last edited by jpbro; Nov 18th, 2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: More observations

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jpbro View Post
    I have a need for a Unicode RichTextBox control, so I thought I give yours a try. Everything seems to be working pretty well except that if I host your RichTextBox control on another UserControl then the cursor keys don't seem to work any longer. Is there anything special I need to do to get them working on a UserControl, or is there a bug?
    This problem was discussed already on page 2 and there is a solution as described below.

Then you need to add the following code to your UserControl:

Code:
    Implements OLEGuids.IOleInPlaceActiveObjectVB

Private Sub IOleInPlaceActiveObjectVB_TranslateAccelerator(ByRef Handled As Boolean, ByRef RetVal As Long, ByVal wMsg As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, ByVal lParam As Long, ByVal Shift As Long)
    On Error Resume Next
    Dim This As OLEGuids.IOleInPlaceActiveObjectVB
    Set This = UserControl.ActiveControl.Object
    This.TranslateAccelerator Handled, RetVal, wMsg, wParam, lParam, Shift
    End Sub
    This is necessary because in this case the Container (UserControl) of the embedded controls receive the TranslateAccelerator message. If the ActiveControl of the UserControl implements the IOleInPlaceActiveObjectVB interface (That are the common controls from my project), then it delegates to it and perform the TranslateAccelerator for that control.
    Just put the code fragment into your UserControl and everything should work.

PowerPoster

Hi Krool,

Sorry, I did read the other posts to see if the problem already had a solution, but I guess I misunderstood that that solution would work for this case (should have tried it anyway). Thanks for your help!

Lively Member

There are strange program hang when changing font (size and name) for the element comboboxw. Probably when they appear for the property or Font.Name Font.Size put incorrect values​​, such as an erroneous name of the font and size respectively. The greater the time used for the control of the properties, the longer hang

Addicted Member

Hi,

Just a quick question. I have a form with two TextBoxW controls. Lets call them A and B. No matter which control had the focus when the form loses the focus, control A has the focus when the form regain the focus. Can you suggest a reason for this and/or a way to fix it. The control A was added to the form before control B and A is single line with a maxlength set whereas B is multiline with no length limit.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTurnbull View Post
    I have a form with two TextBoxW controls. Lets call them A and B. No matter which control had the focus when the form loses the focus, control A has the focus when the form regain the focus. Can you suggest a reason for this and/or a way to fix it. The control A was added to the form before control B and A is single line with a maxlength set whereas B is multiline with no length limit.
    I can't reproduce your problems. In order to help you more please upload the form and tell us which OS you are using.

Addicted Member

Hi Krool,

Thanks for replying. The form “as is” won’t run without all sorts of things from the rest of the project so I added it to your demo to take stuff out and get it to run there. It wouldn’t load in your demo with the following error log….

===========================================
    Line 104: Class GraphicM8.TextBoxW of control ClipName was not a loaded control class.
    Line 567: Class GraphicM8.TextBoxW of control Text1 was not a loaded control class.
    Line 110: The property name _ExtentX in ClipName is invalid.
    Line 111: The property name _ExtentY in ClipName is invalid.
    Line 121: The property name Text in ClipName is invalid.
    Line 122: The property name MaxLength in ClipName is invalid.
    Line 123: The property name CueBanner in ClipName is invalid.
    Line 573: The property name _ExtentX in Text1 is invalid.
    Line 574: The property name _ExtentY in Text1 is invalid.
    Line 585: The property name Text in Text1 is invalid.
    Line 586: The property name HideSelection in Text1 is invalid.
    Line 587: The property name MultiLine in Text1 is invalid.
    Line 588: The property name ScrollBars in Text1 is invalid.
    Line 589: The property name CueBanner in Text1 is invalid.

GraphicM8 is my project name so I guess I screwed something up adding your controls to my project!

I get no errors in my project and it runs perfectly apart from the focus thing I described.

Does this tell you what might be wrong or should I send you the form anyway?

Thanks JT

Addicted Member

I suspect the problem has something to do with your note about changing the project name, but it didn’t mean much to me as I didn’t change any project name. What I did was add your code to my project. To have the LabelW, TextBoxW and Richtextbox, the parts added were…..

Modules
    ComCtlsBase.bas
    Common.bas
    Commondialog.bas
    RichTextBoxBase.bas
    VisualStyals.bas
    Vtablehandle.bas

Class Modules
    Enumeration.cls
    Isubclass.cls
    VtableSubclas.cls

User Controls
    LabelW.ctl
    RichTextbox.ctl
    TextBoxW.ctl

Property pages
    PPRichtextBoxGeneral.pag
    PPRichtextBoxText.pag
    PPTextBoxWText.pag

Addicted Member

Me again!

I now have two forms with this problem. However, when I added a nice simple form with nothing on it except the two TextBoxWs , that did not have the problem. Today I will take one of the offending forms apart till I find what causes it.

Let you know.

JT

Addicted Member

OK – Problem solved – My bad!

In case it happen to anyone else, this was the problem.

The forms have all their control Tabstops set to false so that I can handle the tab key. To get the form to load with the focus in the first TextBoxW, that has its Tabstop set to true but its GotFocus event turns it off. When I replaced my VB textboxes with TextBoxWs, I left the Tabstop in the second TextBoxW on true.

Sorry to bother you and thanks again for some great code.

Lively Member

Hi Kroll, a problem with the program's freezing appears when you multiple time trying to change any of font properties on any controls.
    For example here is a code, and applying the property 10-15 times, the more times apply, the longer the freeze. May be variables are not cleared?

Private Sub Command5_Click ()
    ComboBoxW1.Font.Size = 10
    End Sub

Private Sub Command6_Click ()
    ComboBoxW1.Font.Size = 8
    End Sub

P.S. Sorry for my English, in from Russia. I often use Google.Translate

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo91 View Post
    a problem with the program's freezing appears when you multiple time trying to change any of font properties on any controls.
    Thanks for this bug report!
    It is fixed now.

Really nice work with the unicode controls, thanks for this great work.

Could you add a PictureW control for the picturebox, which could work unicode into the Print statement?

Thank you,
    JC

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Krool View Post
    This problem was discussed already on page 2 and there is a solution as described below.
    Just put the code fragment into your UserControl and everything should work.
    Just a quick note to anyone else experiencing this issue - if you have one of Krool's common controls on a UserControl, and then have your UserControl on another UserControl (and possibly even that UserControl on an additional UserControl, etc...), then you will need to add the code snippet to every UserControl all the way up the chain in order to get the expected behaviour.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jay! View Post
    Could you add a PictureW control for the picturebox, which could work unicode into the Print statement?
    You can print unicode text into the intrinsic VB PictureBox.
    You just need to use an API instead of the VB "Print" command.
    Code:
    Private Declare Function TextOutW Lib "gdi32" (ByVal hDC As Long, ByVal X As Long, ByVal Y As Long, ByVal lpString As Long, ByVal nCount As Long) As Long

Private Sub Command1_Click()
    Dim Text As String
    Text = "text unicode " & ChrW(&HFA23)
    Picture1.AutoRedraw = True
    TextOutW Picture1.hDC, 0, 0, StrPtr(Text), Len(Text)
    Picture1.Refresh
    End Sub
    The downside is that the CurrentX and CurrentY property of the PictureBox are not meaningful.
    But this can be solved by using the GetTextExtentPoint32() API.
    Last edited by Krool; Nov 26th, 2013 at 04:05 PM.

Here's an alternative approach using the DrawTextW API function. The attached project demonstrates the use of the PrintW subroutine which tries to emulate the native Print method.

Name:  PrintW.png
Views: 2715
Size:  12.1 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files
    On Local Error Resume Next: If Not Empty Is Nothing Then Do While Null: ReDim i(True To False) As Currency: Loop: Else Debug.Assert CCur(CLng(CInt(CBool(False Imp True Xor False Eqv True)))): Stop: On Local Error GoTo 0
    Declare Sub CrashVB Lib "msvbvm60" (Optional DontPassMe As Any)

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie West View Post
    Here's an alternative approach using the DrawTextW API function. The attached project demonstrates the use of the PrintW subroutine which tries to emulate the native Print method.

Name:  PrintW.png
Views: 2715
Size:  12.1 KB
    In your PrintW, Chr$ got error when typing Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonney View Post
    In your PrintW, Chr$ got error when typing Japanese.
    Well, I don't know Japanese but I think it won't work in the KeyPress event:

Quote Originally Posted by MSDN
    Occurs when the user presses and releases an ANSI key.
    I did mention this "limitation" in the instructions:

Type any ASCII character to the Form
    or paste any Unicode text
    On Local Error Resume Next: If Not Empty Is Nothing Then Do While Null: ReDim i(True To False) As Currency: Loop: Else Debug.Assert CCur(CLng(CInt(CBool(False Imp True Xor False Eqv True)))): Stop: On Local Error GoTo 0
    Declare Sub CrashVB Lib "msvbvm60" (Optional DontPassMe As Any)

hey guys, im having a issue with the listview control, when i add to project and its all working fine with styles etc but once i close the main form of my app i get "runtime error 339", any ideas? thanks

Addicted Member

Displaying a font with a unicode name

I have an installed font EPSON 行書体M and want to use it in textboxW

I use the choosefont dialog in which the name appears correctly

Name:  Choosfont.jpg
Views: 2250
Size:  17.1 KB

But when I retrieve the name in the variable Tr$, it comes out EPSON ???M not EPSON 行書体M and when I set the Text1.font.name (a TextboxW) to it, Text1 reversts to Arial

What am I doing wrong..... My code is below and works for all fonts except ones with unicode names....

Private Sub MnuFont_Click()
    Dim fdata As ChooseFontType
    Dim lData As LOGFONT
    Dim Tr$
    '..................
    Text1.SetFocus
    '..................preset log structure
    Call StrToByteArray(Text1.Font.Name, lData)
    lData.LFHeight = MulDiv(Text1.Font.Size, GetDeviceCaps(hDC, 90), 72)
    lData.LFWeight = IIf(Text1.Font.Bold, 700, 400)
    lData.LFItalic = Text1.Font.Italic
    'lData.LFStrikeOut = Text1.Font.Strikethru
    lData.LFUnderline = Text1.Font.Underline
    '...................Preset choose font structure
    fdata.lStructSize = Len(fdata)
    fdata.hWndOwner = EditClip.hWnd
    fdata.hDC = EditClip.hDC
    fdata.lpLogFont = VarPtr(lData)
    fdata.nFontType = &H1
    fdata.rgbColors = 0
    fdata.Flags = &H1 Or &H40 'Screenfonts/init to log
    '....................................
    If ChooseFont(fdata) = 0 Then GoTo Cancel
    '================================================Text Label==================.....
    Tr = StrConv(lData.LFFaceName, vbUnicode)
    Tr = Left$(Tr, InStr(Tr, Chr$(0)) - 1)
    Text1.Font.Name = Tr

PowerPoster

Re: Displaying a font with a unicode name

Quote Originally Posted by spinsk View Post
    im having a issue with the listview control, when i add to project and its all working fine with styles etc but once i close the main form of my app i get "runtime error 339"
    Without more details it is difficult to help. Is this occuring in the IDE only? Or does the executable also crash?
    Is this error also occuring in a "blank" project?

I have an installed font EPSON 行書体M and want to use it in textboxW

But when I retrieve the name in the variable Tr$, it comes out EPSON ???M not EPSON 行書体M

[...]

Tr = StrConv(lData.LFFaceName, vbUnicode)
    Tr = Left$(Tr, InStr(Tr, Chr$(0)) - 1)
    You are using the ANSI version of the ChooseFont API. Check whether the Alias of the API is "ChooseFontA" or "ChooseFontW".
    The problem is that you are using a byte array in the LFFaceName member of the LogFont structure and using a ANSI API. Because if you would use the Unicode API then the Result would be already in Unicode and thus a StrConv would not be needed.

Addicted Member

Magic ! Thank you.

I been using basic nearly thirty years but I only just got into unicode and its like I know nothing!

Alright, I've been working with TextBoxW and the Richtextbox now over the course of a few projects and keep getting the same crash, which locks up the VB6 IDE completely and crashes the project.

After putting a TextBoxW control on the form and running the application, I can use it just fine and everything is great. Then, I close the application, and in every project so far it has then gone to this line:

Debug.Assert CBool(OldPointer <> NewPointer)

in the CreateSubclass sub. I commented it out, and found the following occurred:

Out of stack space at:

Private Function Original_IOleIPAO_TranslateAccelerator(ByVal This As OLEGuids.IOleInPlaceActiveObject, ByRef Msg As OLEGuids.OLEACCELMSG) As Long
    VTableSubclassIPAO.SubclassEntry(VTableIndexIPAOTranslateAccelerator) = False
    Original_IOleIPAO_TranslateAccelerator = This.TranslateAccelerator(ByVal VarPtr(Msg))
    VTableSubclassIPAO.SubclassEntry(VTableIndexIPAOTranslateAccelerator) = True
    End Function

I commented out the switch lines for the VtableSubclassIPAO there and received the same error OUT OF STACK SPACE for the line

Original_IOleIPAO_TranslateAccelerator = This.TranslateAccelerator(ByVal VarPtr(Msg))

Now it's a Win7 64bit machine, and I need these controls for working with some translation software type stuff. I would be glad to share the project if it would help in debugging the problem for you.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot, and great work again on these controls, if this problem can be fixed they're going in my permanent toolbox.

There must be some kind of infinite recursion some where there.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Lively Member

Then, I close the application, and in every project so far it has then gone to this line:

in the CreateSubclass sub. I commented it out, and found the following occurred:

Out of stack space at:

Private Function Original_IOleIPAO_TranslateAccelerator(ByVal This As OLEGuids.IOleInPlaceActiveObject, ByRef Msg As OLEGuids.OLEACCELMSG) As Long
    VTableSubclassIPAO.SubclassEntry(VTableIndexIPAOTranslateAccelerator) = False
    I also have in my project the same error, for example if i call the unload form (Unload me) from the event key_down (both IDE and the exe), but if I just close the form by pressing X, then unloading occurs normally. I also use the event Query_Unload and Unload.

hi krool, sorry i figured the problem out, it was because i was using api timers that was causing the issue but i fixed it by saving project hwnd in a variable before sub classing init, however i do have another issue, im trying to add a progress bar to your status bar control via setparent then moving it into the panel i require, all works fine until i resize the form, if increase the width of the form the progress bar disappears and reappears once u release the mouse button from the resize event, also once you maximize the form the progress bar disappears all together and cannot get it back even with calling setparent api again, any idea's? thanks in advanced

PowerPoster

After putting a TextBoxW control on the form and running the application, I can use it just fine and everything is great. Then, I close the application, and in every project so far it has then gone to this line:

How do you close the application? if the above Debug.Assert is firing this is an indication of an "unclean" closure.

i do have another issue, im trying to add a progress bar to your status bar control via setparent then moving it into the panel i require, all works fine until i resize the form, if increase the width of the form the progress bar disappears and reappears once u release the mouse button from the resize event, also once you maximize the form the progress bar disappears all together and cannot get it back even with calling setparent api again, any idea's?
    There was indeed a problem in the StatusBar control. I have released an update. Thanks for your report.
    Also keep in mind to use the .hWndUserControl and not .hWnd in the SetParent API. Like as following:

Code:
    SetParent ProgressBar1.hWndUserControl, StatusBar1.hWndOwner
    Last edited by Krool; Dec 26th, 2013 at 11:06 AM.

Addicted Member

You can print unicode text into the intrinsic VB PictureBox.
    You just need to use an API instead of the VB "Print" command.
    As well as printing unicode to a picturebox, I have a need to set the font of a picturebox to a font which has a unicode name. This result in "Invalid property Value"

Problem would be solved with a PictureboxW control!
    Or is there some other way round this?

PowerPoster

Update released.

Then, I close the application, and in every project so far it has then gone to this line:

This update might solve your problems.

Lively Member

Update released.
    This update might solve your problems.
    In my project, this solution did not help. The error in the same place. On my form I use ComboBoxW, CheckBoxW, LabelW, ToolTip now trying to understand what third-party control-collections (Analogs Frame control) affect this.

Addicted Member

Romeo,

I have about a dozen forms with Krools controls on them and had this problem for a while. It happens when you terminate your app from within the code of a form with the controls.

Solution:-

Add a timer to a form which DOESN'T have Krools controls. The timer event unloads all the forms that have controls on them before unloading itself.

Never had the problem again!

PowerPoster

I have about a dozen forms with Krools controls on them and had this problem for a while. It happens when you terminate your app from within the code of a form with the controls.
    I can't replicate the problem. Can you share a sample?

Addicted Member

I don't have the problem. Romeo does. Perhaps he can oblige.

Any chance of the PictureboxW sometime?

Hi krool, that's for the update, I've come across another issue with the tabs control, when I set the alignment to bottom they appear upside down correctly in IDE but once u compile with manifest they are back to normal? Also is there a way to have the tabs align from the furthest point right instead of always left? Thanks in advanced.

PowerPoster

I've come across another issue with the tabs control, when I set the alignment to bottom they appear upside down correctly in IDE but once u compile with manifest they are back to normal?
    I assume you mean the 'Placement' property. This property is ignored if the version of comctl32.dll is 6.0 or higher.

Lively Member

Krool, with the latest update, I've lost my mistake in the project.
    Thank you very much.

PowerPoster

Update released.

I just encountered that any control can receive the focus when pressing a "X" mouse button. Which should not be.
    This brought me up to make a intensive test on each WM_MOUSEACTIVATE handler and I found some more bugs...
    So in my opinion this is a quite important update.

Addicted Member

Re: PrintW

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie West View Post
    Hi Bonnie,

I've been using your PrintW to print unicode into pictureboxes with great success. However, when I try using it to the printer, although it executes without error, nothing gets printed at Printer.Enddoc. Any Ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Print routine code.....

Code:
    Private Sub PrintIt(Landscape As Integer)
    Dim Txt$, xx&, Tr$, yy&
    Dim Lft&, wid&
    '..............

If Text1.Text = "" Then Exit Sub
    '....................
    On Local Error GoTo SkipFont
    Printer.FontName = Text1.Font.Name
    On Local Error GoTo 0
    SkipFont:
    If Err > 0 Then Resume Here1
    Here1:
    On Local Error GoTo SkipSize
    Printer.FontSize = Text1.Font.Size
    On Local Error GoTo 0
    SkipSize:
    If Err > 0 Then Resume Here2
    Here2:
    On Local Error GoTo Skip3
    If Landscape = 0 Then
       Printer.orientation = 1
    Else
       Printer.orientation = 2
    End If
    On Local Error GoTo 0
    Skip3:
    If Err > 0 Then Resume Here3
    Here3:
    '====================================
    Lft = 1000
    On Local Error GoTo NoPrinter
    wid = Printer.Width - 2000
    On Local Error GoTo 0
    Printer.CurrentX = Lft: Printer.CurrentY = Lft
    Txt = Text1.Text
    '=====================================
    PrintLine:
    If Printer.CurrentY > Printer.Height - 1200 Then
       Printer.NewPage
       Printer.CurrentX = Lft
       Printer.CurrentY = Lft
    End If
    Prt.Caption = ""
    Do
       Tr = Left$(Txt, 1)
       Txt = Right$(Txt, Len(Txt) - 1)
       '..............................................Line ends
       If Tr = Chr$(13) Then
          '......................................Get rid of first Chr$(10)
          If Left$(Txt, 1) = Chr$(10) Then Txt = Right$(Txt, Len(Txt) - 1)
          '.....................................pass any extra Cr/Lfs
          Do
             If Left$(Txt, 1) <> Chr$(13) And Left$(Txt, 1) <> Chr$(10) Then Exit Do
             Tr = Left$(Txt, 1)
             Txt = Right$(Txt, Len(Txt) - 1)
             Prt.Caption = Prt.Caption + Tr
          Loop
          PrintW Printer, Prt.Caption   ' replacing next line
          'Printer.Print Prt.Caption
          If Txt = "" Then
             Exit Do
           Else
             Printer.CurrentX = Lft
             GoTo PrintLine
          End If
       Else
          Prt.Caption = Prt.Caption + Tr
       End If
       '.................................................End of print
       If Txt = "" Then
          On Local Error Resume Next 'Needed if doc printer is default
          PrintW Printer, Prt.Caption    ' replacing next line
          On Local Error GoTo 0
          Exit Do
       End If
       '.................................................Word wrap to printer width
       If Printer.TextWidth(Prt.Caption) > wid Then
          Do
             Tr = Right$(Prt.Caption, 1)
             Prt.Caption = Left$(Prt.Caption, Len(Prt.Caption) - 1)
             If Tr = Chr$(32) Then Exit Do
             Txt = Tr + Txt
          Loop
          PrintW Printer, Prt.Caption     ' replacing next line
          Printer.CurrentX = Lft
          GoTo PrintLine
       End If
    Loop
    Printer.EndDoc
    Exit Sub
    NoPrinter:
    Resume Here4
    Here4:
    End Sub

TreeView won't raise "MouseUp" event if mouse is still. Why?

Lively Member

Good day.
    It is impossible to correctly change the font for the Tooltip, after the form is loaded. I use a two monospaced fonts Lucida Console and Courier New. With the first type there is no problem, but the second font is correctly displayed only after loading a form, and if you try to change it after load form to another font (such as Lucida Console) and back again, the font changes, but not correctly displayed
    I added to your project and two buttons Command5 Command6, and added to them the ToolTip.
    ComCtlsDemo_TestTTFont.7z.zip (The attached file is a .7z file with a .zip extension so it could be uploaded.)

P.S. Also I Tried to change other properties for LogFont Structure (such as LFQuality As Byte and LFPitchAndFamily As Byte), but the result (as the after form_load) not seen

Added later.
    In windows 7 tooltip font can only be operated in a classical theme, in aero themes font remains unchanged and is likely to default
    Last edited by Romeo91; Dec 27th, 2013 at 03:56 AM.

Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast