Page 79 of 94 FirstFirst ... 29697677787980818289 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,160 of 3726

Thread: CommonControls (Replacement of the MS common controls)

PowerPoster

Re: CommonControls (Replacement of the MS common controls)

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin69 View Post
    Thanks Karl. I'll need to study this a bit more.

My app has a limited set of buttons, so manually adding these is not the issue. The challenge is more the use of transparency.

I've taken this update as an opportunity to "modernize" the toolbar look and feel. As part of the pre-work, I collected/designed/created a series of images that are all saved in PNG-format with transparency. As that format unfortunately isn't supported by the VBCCR imagelist (and not by the original either), I need to figure out what the best approach is.
    About transparency, you can communicate with me in this respect. I also like to make the controls more beautiful.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    About transparency, you can communicate with me in this respect. I also like to make the controls more beautiful.
    StdPicture objects are restricted.
    They can be "enhanced" by vtable hacks to allow gdi+.
    However, that is the responsibility of the app todo and not of the VBCCR.
    The pictures are "owned" by the app and VBCCR just "borrows" them. It would be dangerous if there is any action on the objects which will "change" them.
    And doing private copies would kill "compatibility".
    Anyhow, see below for a solution:
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....to-Support-GDI

I have recently started using these common control replacements and have found that in the existing TabStrip control there is a way to disable 1 specific Tab to prevent it from being selected using an Enabled variable in the Tab object of the TabCollection, however I cannot clearly see a way to do so utilising the replacement, unless I rework the event handle to ignore input to that tab unless a seperate boolean is used to control the function.

Is such functionality not possible to expose, or is there a better alternative method?

Lively Member

the MS Common Control Tabstrip does not have an Enable Property for each tab (although I don't know why).
    You are referring to the SSTab, which is a complete different control, which creates its own container for each tab.

to get around this limitation, you can use the TabBeforeClick Event.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadic View Post
    I have recently started using these common control replacements and have found that in the existing TabStrip control there is a way to disable 1 specific Tab to prevent it from being selected using an Enabled variable in the Tab object of the TabCollection, however I cannot clearly see a way to do so utilising the replacement, unless I rework the event handle to ignore input to that tab unless a seperate boolean is used to control the function.

Is such functionality not possible to expose, or is there a better alternative method?
    I've been converting my application to the VBCCR Unicode controls, and added the VBFlexGrid (also by Krool) and the SSTabEx (by Eduardo) to the toolkit. I am very happy with the quality of the controls, and the great support that is given via this forum.

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....68#post5517568

Krool,

I noticed there is no List property with your ComboBox. Is the ComboBox populated under program control only?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by ScriptBASIC View Post
    Krool,

I noticed there is no List property with your ComboBox. Is the ComboBox populated under program control only?
    There exist a List property. However, it's run-time only.

Krool,

I'm using your tab control and no text is being shown for Labels. Button and textboxes seem fine. It's like the Label control will not bind to the tab page at all. Link Labels seem to work.

Using VBCCR17.
    Last edited by ScriptBASIC; Apr 23rd, 2021 at 01:36 PM.

PowerPoster

Krool,

I'm using your tab control and no text is being shown for Labels. Button and textboxes seem fine. Using VBCCR17.
    Labels are windowless. You need a "helper" container, such as a Frame or PictureBox.

Okay.

The form I'm trying to reproduce does have a frame around the controls I plan to use. I forgot to add it with the test of the tab page.

I put Mr. Freakout back in the closet.

I set the form to use pixel scaling mode which has been working fine until I got to adding controls to the tab page. It looks like twips is the only scale mode the tab page accepts.

Krool,

I decided to go with the SSTab control. It allows me to add controls to the pages in design time and easier to deal with. FWIW this control also only accepts twips. I guess that is just how it is.

PowerPoster

I set the form to use pixel scaling mode which has been working fine until I got to adding controls to the tab page. It looks like twips is the only scale mode the tab page accepts.
    What does not work in pixel scaling mode? Demo? Code?

Adding controls worked fine. My only comment was that if I use pixel scaling the tab pages only accepts twips, nothing else. As mentioned I moved to SSTab as I don't what to have to deal with separate forms for tab pages and only able to test in runtime.

PowerPoster

Adding controls worked fine. My only comment was that if I use pixel scaling the tab pages only accepts twips, nothing else. As mentioned I moved to SSTab as I don't what to have to deal with separate forms for tab pages and only able to test in runtime.
    The TabStrip has no "tab pages". if you use a VB.Frame (or FrameW) then this container ("tab page") is always in twips. If you want to use pixels, then use a VB.PictureBox.

My understanding is the tabstrip is just that. "Tab pages" are referred to as property pages which threw me for a loop. The tabstrip only shows the first page and clicking on the other tabs do nothing in the IDE. SSTab made that work like I expected. Thanks for the tip on using picturebox rather then frames to use pixel scaling.

Hi Krool,

Here is the result of our conversations. The picturebox frame replacement to get pixel scaling and using SSTab saved me a ton of time with this migration project I'm doing.

Attachment 181260
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ScriptBASIC; May 1st, 2021 at 05:38 PM.

Addicted Member

Hi krool ,
    1- In toolbar , Is there a way to assign a font for a specific button instead of affecting all the buttons ? Like the ForeColor property that is assigned for the toolbar button .
    The reason , to replace button images by font icons like font awesome as an example .
    This will add flexibility to color changing and the size of the button graphics .
    Last edited by Hosam AL Dein; May 7th, 2021 at 05:16 AM.

Addicted Member

Dear Krool,

Thanks, as always, for your altruistic work.

I have been, for the first time, trying the CoolBar control since the past 2 or 3 days. I have an issue with UseChevron option.

I followed your instructions in https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post5002991, on how to avail the UseChevron option. The thing is that when the ideal width is reached, a white vertical strip appears but without the chevron symbol. When I click on that white strip, the BandChevronPushed event does get fired.

So, I experimented by ticking and unticking the various options in quite a few combinations. What worked finally was unticking the 'VisualStyles' option under 'General' tab. But then, naturally, the visual styles are gone. I created the ComCtlsDemo.exe (with 'VisualStyles' option ticked) and tried it. Only white strip appears. Clicking on it fired the BandChevronPushed event. I tried that same ComCtlsDemo.exe in a Win7 system. There also, same result.

So, am I missing something? How to make the chevron appear without unticking the 'VisualStyles' option?

And, one more question. After unticking the 'VisualStyles' option and making the chevron appear, I tried it for a band with Toolbar control. When the ideal width is reached, the chevron appears. But when I clicked the chevron, the hidden items of the toolbar control do not show up. Have we to show the hidden items manually by writing code in BandChevronPushed event?

Note:
    - I am using the latest version of your controls (downloaded 2 days back)
    - I am on Windows 10 Home. I created the ComCtlsDemo.exe therein only.

Kind Regards.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Hosam AL Dein View Post
    Hi krool ,
    1- In toolbar , Is there a way to assign a font for a specific button instead of affecting all the buttons ? Like the ForeColor property that is assigned for the toolbar button .
    The reason , to replace button images by font icons like font awesome as an example .
    This will add flexibility to color changing and the size of the button graphics .
    It's possible to return CDRF_NEWFONT on NM_CUSTOMDRAW for a toolbar. However, I can remember playing around with it and it bugged as the button size will not change accordingly.

Lively Member

Hi Krool,

Here is the result of our conversations. The picturebox frame replacement to get pixel scaling and using SSTab saved me a ton of time with this migration project I'm doing.

Attachment 181260
    Your attachment link is invalid
    Last edited by smileyoufu; May 15th, 2021 at 08:54 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by softv View Post
    Dear Krool,

Thanks, as always, for your altruistic work.

I have been, for the first time, trying the CoolBar control since the past 2 or 3 days. I have an issue with UseChevron option.

I followed your instructions in https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post5002991, on how to avail the UseChevron option. The thing is that when the ideal width is reached, a white vertical strip appears but without the chevron symbol. When I click on that white strip, the BandChevronPushed event does get fired.

So, I experimented by ticking and unticking the various options in quite a few combinations. What worked finally was unticking the 'VisualStyles' option under 'General' tab. But then, naturally, the visual styles are gone. I created the ComCtlsDemo.exe (with 'VisualStyles' option ticked) and tried it. Only white strip appears. Clicking on it fired the BandChevronPushed event. I tried that same ComCtlsDemo.exe in a Win7 system. There also, same result.

So, am I missing something? How to make the chevron appear without unticking the 'VisualStyles' option?

And, one more question. After unticking the 'VisualStyles' option and making the chevron appear, I tried it for a band with Toolbar control. When the ideal width is reached, the chevron appears. But when I clicked the chevron, the hidden items of the toolbar control do not show up. Have we to show the hidden items manually by writing code in BandChevronPushed event?

Note:
    - I am using the latest version of your controls (downloaded 2 days back)
    - I am on Windows 10 Home. I created the ComCtlsDemo.exe therein only.

Kind Regards.
    I found the bug and know how to fix it when I have time.
    Meanwhile you can workaround it by setting the conditional compilation constant 'ImplementThemedReBarFix' to False.
    This results that the ForeColor property though does not work anymore for a band. Also something else does not work in exotic circumstances.
    That's why I have implemented such a themed "fix" and as side effect it allows custom fore color for a band.
    What I simply missed was to draw the chevron. But that will be an easy one to fix I think as the v6 rebarbandinfo has the chevron rects and states.
    Be patient, thanks.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krool View Post
    I found the bug and know how to fix it when I have time.
    Meanwhile you can workaround it by setting the conditional compilation constant 'ImplementThemedReBarFix' to False.
    This results that the ForeColor property though does not work anymore for a band. Also something else does not work in exotic circumstances.
    That's why I have implemented such a themed "fix" and as side effect it allows custom fore color for a band.
    What I simply missed was to draw the chevron. But that will be an easy one to fix I think as the v6 rebarbandinfo has the chevron rects and states.
    Be patient, thanks.
    Thanks a TON, krool. I shall definitely wait. No urgency at all.

You give such fabulous controls for free!
    And, on top of it, you give 100% free support too!!
    That too, so promptly!!!

As ever, my most humble salutes to you. For ever.

Kind regards.

PowerPoster

Update released.

The RP_CHEVRON/RP_CHEVRONVERT parts are now included in the 'ImplementThemedReBarFix'. (reported by softv)

In this regard I found another bug. When the UseChevron property of a Band will be changed then the band's header portion will not be automatically refreshed.
    As can be seen in the image below, after the UseChevron got applied, the text "asd" is truncated. Now with the bugfix the band's header portion will be refreshed. (.CXHeader member, RBBIM_HEADERSIZE, = -1)
    Name:  CoolBarChevronHeaderFix.png
Views: 691
Size:  1.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by smileyoufu View Post
    Your attachment link is invalid
    Strange!

The form image attachment shows fine for the post in my browser. Here it is again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Strange!

The form image attachment shows fine for the post in my browser. Here it is again.
    Everything is fine; your attachment link at post #3137 was correct!
    I guess the user smileyoufu have some problems with his browser.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krool View Post
    Update released.

The RP_CHEVRON/RP_CHEVRONVERT parts are now included in the 'ImplementThemedReBarFix'. (reported by softv)

In this regard I found another bug. When the UseChevron property of a Band will be changed then the band's header portion will not be automatically refreshed.
    As can be seen in the image below, after the UseChevron got applied, the text "asd" is truncated. Now with the bugfix the band's header portion will be refreshed. (.CXHeader member, RBBIM_HEADERSIZE, = -1)
    Name:  CoolBarChevronHeaderFix.png
Views: 691
Size:  1.5 KB
    Dear Krool,

Warm Greetings! And, Thanks a TON for the update.

By the by, I have one more observation to share. As far as I tested (trying out various options), the vbSizeWE mouse pointer was not getting set when mouse moves over the resizing portion (dotted line) of a child coolbar. By child coolbar, I mean a coolbar (say, cbr2) which is nested in one of the bands of a parent coolbar (say, cbr1). I tried putting cbr2 inside a frame too (the frame being inside one of the bands of cbr1)

As of now, my workaround is as follows. My 'cbr2' has 3 bands with 3 command buttons (as a control array) in them:
    --
    Private Sub cbr2_MouseMove(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
    cbr2.MousePointer = vbSizeWE
    End Sub

Private Sub CommandButtonW_MouseMove(Index As Integer, Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
    cbr2.MousePointer = vbNormal
    End Sub
    --

Sorry if I am wrong in my observation (which resulted in the above workaround). If there is indeed a straightforward solution, kindly let me know the same.

Ever in gratitude to your monumental work.

Kind regards.

I'm sorry for my bad English.
    I am a user of VB6 only as a hobby, without extensive training. I learn by doing.
    I was very happy when I discovered this great project. For me it is a boon. I got there looking for both a RichText control and a slider, both of which can be modified to suit my needs.
    Regarding the slider I have already found a way to implement the resizing of the cursor (Thumb - TBS_FIXEDLENGTH - TBM_SETTHUMBLENGTH), so that it is more suitable for touch screens.
    Would there be a not too difficult way to change the cursor image (Thumb)? If I'm not mistaken, I've seen the possibility exists (NM_CUSTOMDRAW - TBCD_THUMB) but I just don't know how to use it.

I found and resolved several critical errors that can cause controls to crash at runtime especially with multiple instances. Most of them are due to naming collisions with VB keywords, ie Format, Width, Height, Month, Day etc. Microsoft warned that overriding keywords can cause runtime/designtime errors to occur. I posted a video listing the errors that need to be addressed. A few of them are false positives due to an earlier error in the parsing. But, there are also false negatives hidden that appear once the original errors have been resolved. VBCCR17 name collision errors causing random crashes at runtime

Quote Originally Posted by TTn View Post
    I found and resolved several critical errors that can cause controls to crash at runtime especially with multiple instances.
    What kind of multiple instances? Starting the compilied Exe multiple times?

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    What kind of multiple instances? Starting the compilied Exe multiple times?
    Multiple instances of a control on a form.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by softv View Post
    By the by, I have one more observation to share. As far as I tested (trying out various options), the vbSizeWE mouse pointer was not getting set when mouse moves over the resizing portion (dotted line) of a child coolbar. By child coolbar, I mean a coolbar (say, cbr2) which is nested in one of the bands of a parent coolbar (say, cbr1). I tried putting cbr2 inside a frame too (the frame being inside one of the bands of cbr1)

As of now, my workaround is as follows. My 'cbr2' has 3 bands with 3 command buttons (as a control array) in them:
    --
    Private Sub cbr2_MouseMove(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
    cbr2.MousePointer = vbSizeWE
    End Sub

Private Sub CommandButtonW_MouseMove(Index As Integer, Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
    cbr2.MousePointer = vbNormal
    End Sub
    Update released.

If the child control is only in the CoolBar "container" then there was no issue. But if it's a child control of a band (= child of ReBarWindow32) then the issue occured.

The CoolBar has been updated so the child controls can walk up the chain properly in the WM_SETCURSOR handler.
    There is no workaround needed anymore.

I have tested it well, also in regards to Form.MousePointer in play etc. and this is the most straight forward solution for natural behavior in VB.

For those interested, the code marked in blue is the addition.

Code:
    Case WM_SETCURSOR
        If LoWord(lParam) = HTCLIENT Then
            Dim hCursor As Long
            If MousePointerID(PropMousePointer) <> 0 Then
                hCursor = LoadCursor(0, MousePointerID(PropMousePointer))
            ElseIf PropMousePointer = 99 Then
                If Not PropMouseIcon Is Nothing Then hCursor = PropMouseIcon.Handle
            End If
            If hCursor <> 0 Then
                SetCursor hCursor
                WindowProcControl = 1
                Exit Function
            ElseIf hWnd <> wParam And wParam <> 0 Then
                ' Ensures that the cild controls can walk up the chain properly.
                WindowProcControl = DefWindowProc(hWnd, wMsg, wParam, lParam)
                Exit Function
            End If
        End If
    [...]
    WindowProcControl = ComCtlsDefaultProc(hWnd, wMsg, wParam, lParam)
    Can you provide samples to replicate such crashes ?
    Last edited by Krool; May 23rd, 2021 at 03:37 AM.

It's a random thing at runtime as I said. Not all of the controls appear to have the problem. The only easy solution for me was to resolve any and all naming collisions to take the load off of the designer/runtime.

Did you see the video?

The word "Format" is causing the designer to jump to a definition in another procedure. But then, I tested after the video, and that word jumped correctly to the right definition.

I use multiple instances of the following controls on many forms and never run into any problems: labelW, textboxW, comboboxW, checkboxW, optionbuttonW, frameW

How to force this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I use multiple instances of the following controls on many forms and never run into any problems: labelW, textboxW, comboboxW, checkboxW, optionbuttonW, frameW

How to force this problem?
    Again, this problem is intermittent, aka random at design/runtime.
    Microsoft said that you should not use those reserved words because design/runtime errors can occur.

Here is a list released by MS that includes Format, Width, Height etc.

Abs Access AddItem AddNew Alias And Any App AppActivate Append AppendChunk
    Arrange As Asc Atn Base Beep BeginTrans Binary ByVal Call Case CCur CDbl
    ChDir ChDrive Chr Chr$ CInt Circle Clear Clipboard CLng Close Cls Command
    Command$ CommitTrans Compare Const Control Controls Cos CreateDynaset CSng
    CStr CurDir$ Currency CVar CVDate Data Date Date$ DateSerial DateValue Day
    Debug Declare DefCur CefDbl DefInt DefLng DefSng DefStr DefVar Delete Dim
    Dir Dir$ Do DoEvents Double Drag Dynaset Edit Else ElseIf End EndDoc EndIf
    Environ$ EOF Eqv Erase Erl Err Error Error$ ExecuteSQL Exit Exp Explicit
    False FieldSize FileAttr FileCopy FileDateTime FileLen Fix For Form Format
    Format$ Forms FreeFile Function Get GetAttr GetChunk GetData DetFormat GetText
    Global GoSub GoTo Hex Hex$ Hide Hour If Imp Input Input$ InputBox InputBox$
    InStr Int Integer Is IsDate IsEmpty IsNull IsNumeric Kill LBound LCase
    LCase$ Left Left$ Len Let Lib Like Line LinkExecute LinkPoke LinkRequest
    LinkSend Load LoadPicture Loc Local Lock LOF Log Long Loop LSet LTrim
    LTrim$ Me Mid Mid$ Minute MkDir Mod Month Move MoveFirst MoveLast MoveNext
    MovePrevious MoveRelative MsgBox Name New NewPage Next NextBlock Not Nothing
    Now Null Oct Oct$ On Open OpenDataBase Option Or Output Point Preserve
    Print Printer PrintForm Private PSet Put QBColor Random Randomize Read ReDim
    Refresh RegisterDataBase Rem RemoveItem Reset Restore Resume Return RGB Right
    Right$ RmDir Rnd Rollback RSet RTrim RTrim$ SavePicture Scale Second Seek
    Select SendKeys Set SetAttr SetData SetFocus SetText Sgn Shared Shell Show
    Sin Single Space Space$ Spc Sqr Static Step Stop Str Str$ StrComp String
    String$ Sub System Tab Tan Text TextHeight TextWidth Then Time Time$ Timer
    TimeSerial TimeValue To Trim Trim$ True Type TypeOf UBound UCase UCase$
    Unload Unlock Until Update Using Val Variant VarType Weekday Wend While
    Width Write Xor Year ZOrder
    Trust me, it serves no good purpose to use these words as parameters etc.

Confirm the fix by changing the two/or-more affected functions in the RichTextBox module.
    Code:
    Public Sub OLEObjectsAddFromPicture(ByVal Picture As IPictureDisp, Optional ByVal fmt As Variant)
      'new body here
      Format 'Right click Format token, then click goto definition in the object browser.  Success!
    End Sub

Public Sub SaveFile(ByVal FileName As String, Optional ByVal fmt As RtfLoadSaveFormatConstants = RtfLoadSaveFormatRTF, Optional ByVal SelectionOnly As Boolean)
      'new body here
    End Sub
    Now the variable/param can't jump to another function/sub.

Just so everyone can get an idea of the various ways these manifest, take a look at line 461 in the Slider module.
    Code:

Dim Width As Long, Height As Long
          Width = .ScaleWidth
          Height = .ScaleHeight
           'some code end with
           MoveWindow SliderHandle, 0, 0, Width, Height, 0
    Looks ok, but it ran into a different kind of collision. Comment out the dimensions for Width and Height.
    Now jump to definition from the param Width in the MoveWindow function.
    You will end up jumping to the module property for Width, that expects an argument.
    Technically, this word token should stay hidden and reserved for Width of Me.

Another kind of problem is assignments to constants not permitted. Line 958 of module CommonDialog.
    The word "Color" is a member of LoadPictureConstants.
    Line 158 of LvwColumnHeader. The word "Checked" is a member of OLE_TRISTATE.
    Code should be explicitly named not to collide, because it causes a collective load at design/runtime.

Some other words to fixup are: Month, Day, DateValue. Some of these may have various layers of issues that can occur in different ways, because the month and day are used in a loop, and as properties, and as reserved words.

PowerPoster

Could you describe steps by steps how to reproduce a single problem? (just one case, but clear)

Are you complaining that it is confusing the object browser when you look for a definition or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    Could you describe steps by steps how to reproduce a single problem? (just one case, but clear)

Are you complaining that it is confusing the object browser when you look for a definition or what?
    I want to see one example to reproduce this problem without altering the existing code like he described at #3157.
    i only use the original compiled VBCCR OCX version and never expierend any problems.
    Maybe you can run into this problem only when you use the source code?

I described enough for you to reproduce a design error that jumps between procedures. Confirm by changing the word/function "Format" to "fmt". I've been clear. You're not supposed to use reserved words. The compiler does an error parsing in a specific order, when looking for definitions deciding to filter a parsed error or not. Errors like that can cause false results as seen, because those words are seen globally. Why would you want to continue using the word Format if it can cause global jumps to unrelated parameters? I've presented a clear list of words that should not be used as parameters or variables.

Page 79 of 94 FirstFirst ... 29697677787980818289 ... LastLast