Thread: Can't force VS2010 to publish bad code

Lively Member

Can't force VS2010 to publish bad code

Hello

Every now and again I get asked to publish websites using code that's been supplied to me by our CTI supplier. The code does everything that it's supposed to do, so I've never seen any need to try and debug it.

When we publish these websites, we do so on our external webserver, and in the past I've always done the work that I need to do directly onto that server, but I'm concerned that by doing so, I risk breaking live code.

With that in mind, I've created a brand new empty solution in VS2010, and a project in which to hold the code. I can then source-control it using TFS2010 and have the code that I'm working on residing on my local machine until such time as I'm ready to deploy it. The issue that I have though is that there are errors within various aspx.vb pages that cause the site to fail to compile. I don't want it to compile though, merely to copy the files from my local machine to the designated location on the remote server.

Does anyone know of a way of forcing VS2010 to just publish code without validating it? I realise that it's an unusual thing to want to do, but my issue is that the code works in terms of what the website needs to do, so I'm not keen on editing the code in case it compiles properly but doesn't then work.

TIA

Re: Can't force VS2010 to publish bad code

If the code doesn't compile, the website won't work. You probably miss some reference. What error do you get?
    VB6 & C# (WCF LINQ) mostly

If you need help with a WPF/WCF question post in the NEW WPF & WCF forum and we will try help the best we can

My site

My blog, couding troubles and solutions

Free online tools

King of sapila

Why don't you just copy the files through the network or with ftp?Same thing less trouble.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Lively Member

Sapator

The reason I can't publish the files by FTP is because it still attempts to build the site and therefore fails. I was hoping to avoid having to a manual file copy, but will if I have to.

Lightning

I've attached a screenshot of the ErrorList being produced by VS2010. I'm going to apologise in advance for the possibility that these might be very simple errors - I've inherited the need to be maintaining these websites, and it's not second-nature for me to be able to debug code that I don't understand. The stuff that I alter is very basic HTML and ASP with a bit of JavaScript, whereas the pages that contain the errors were written for us as a favour, so I don't have anywhere to turn in terms of the pages' supplier.

TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The suggestion wasn't to publish the files.... COPY the files... you know, file explorer, drag, drop... use an FTP client... upload files...

Those are some serious errors there though... you really might want to spend the time to investigate them and find out what's going on...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *