Thread: Package and Deployment Doubt

Package and Deployment Doubt

If I install a program that was created by Visual Basic 6.0 (via Package and Deployment Wizard), and install it on my computer, is Visual Basic 6.0 need to run that installed program?

PowerPoster

Re: Package and Deployment Doubt

No - the Package and Deployment Wizard will have included all the dependencies required by the Program.

EDIT: To be slightly more accurate, the VB6 Runtime Libraries will be required (which will be included in the P&D Setup package generated)

Quote Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
    No - the Package and Deployment Wizard will have included all the dependencies required by the Program.
    SO if I install the program on another computer that doesn't have Visual Basic 6 installed on it, the program would work perfectly?

PowerPoster

Only if it's been written 'perfectly'

There are one or two poptential problems, the P&D Wizard will automatically include dependencies; however, if you have any data files that are required by the Program (e.g. a Database) you'll have to manually include then when running the P&D.

Only if it's been written 'perfectly'

There are one or two poptential problems, the P&D Wizard will automatically include dependencies; however, if you have any data files that are required by the Program (e.g. a Database) you'll have to manually include then when running the P&D.
    There are a couple of pictures I will be using on the form. What about them? Should they also be stored like the database?

PowerPoster

Depends on how you've 'loaded' the Pictures. If you have set the Picture properties at design time, then no you don't have to manually include them, otherwise, yes you do.

What do you mean "Picture properties at design time". Can you please explain a little bit more

PowerPoster

Do you, for instance, draw a PictureBox on the Form and then enter the filename and path to the picture in the Properties Window of the IDE or do you use a LoadPicture statement within your code? e.g.
    Code:
    Picture1.Picture= LoadPicture("C:\Mydir\MyPic.jpg")
    If the latter then you'd need to manually include c:\Mydir\MyPic.jpg in the P&D

Do you, for instance, draw a PictureBox on the Form and then enter the filename and path to the picture in the Properties Window of the IDE or do you use a LoadPicture statement within your code? e.g.
    Code:
    Picture1.Picture= LoadPicture("C:\Mydir\MyPic.jpg")
    If the latter then you'd need to manually include c:\Mydir\MyPic.jpg in the P&D
    I use the properties window to enter the picture. Therefore I don't need to include the pictures. Correct?

PowerPoster

Yes, that's right

I use VBDataReports in my software. For them to be created on the installed program, shouldn't VB be installed on the computer?