Thread: Searching a database in a random order

Searching a database in a random order

Hi,

I'm trying to search through a database with a GUI that I've made, and it searches just fine when I do it in a specific order like:

John Joseph Smith

However when I look for something like

John Smith

without the middle name it seems to just go blank and can't seem to do it. Is there a way to do this??

The code for search is:
    Code:
     Private Sub FullNameTextBox_Enter(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSearch.Click
            Try
                Me.ContactsTableAdapter.Search(Me.Linkedcontacttbls.Contacts, FullNameTextBox.Text)
                LBSearch.Update() 'LbSearch is the listbox
            Catch op As System.InvalidOperationException
                System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show(op.Message)
            Finally
            End Try
        End Sub
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Also VB version is: VB 2010

Re: Searching a database in a random order

The default search method in the adaptors only does an exact match... if you want something less exacting, then you'll need to write one yourself with the appropriate wildcard settings based on just how you want to conduct the search.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *