Thread: [RESOLVED] Gif animation on desktops vs servers

Resolved [RESOLVED] Gif animation on desktops vs servers

Hi,

Strange issue, see if anyone has any thoughts?

I have a DotNet 3.5 Winforms app. Mature app working well. It is a desktop client side application. One of the forms I've recently modified to include a picturebox which shows a standard gif animation.

Running the application(and displaying the form with the picture box) works as expected on on Win XP + Win 7. i.e. the gif animation plays.

However running the same application on Windows 2003 or Windows 2008, I get the form loading but not animation in the picturebox, just static image.

At first I thought it was because I was accessing the server via Remote Desktop but I did the same with XP, yet that still had the gif animating. Oh and I can play a gif using Internet Explorer on the servers.

So away to you....any thoughts?

Thanks
    Please mark your thread as Resolved; it helps identify which posters still require assistance and keeps things nice & tidy
    Acknowledge a helpful post; keeps the community going

Re: [RESOLVED] Gif animation on desktops vs servers

Found my own solution. It was silly on my part.

I had forgotten that I had a transparent form covering the picturebox serving another function. As I've discovered from other uses of transparency in .NET, it isn't 'see through' as one might think in all applications.

Perhaps due to the RDP connection properties between desktops and servers, the transparent window is drawn differently.

I'd love a definitive answer if someone has more info.

Cheers
    Please mark your thread as Resolved; it helps identify which posters still require assistance and keeps things nice & tidy
    Acknowledge a helpful post; keeps the community going