Thread: What way should I approach my game?

Question What way should I approach my game?

Well I am making a Pokemon based single player game. Now, I am creating the maps. Should I create a form for every map? There is going to be 4 towns and 20 someodd maps, so about 24 map in total. Or should I make it the 20 maps all in the same form and the all the towns the same form? If the latter is better then please show me an example of how to use the form for multiple maps.
    "When ideas and actions fuse, they form creations"

Re: What way should I approach my game?

Stop thinking about Forms and maps as being connected. They are not. The maps would be game data and a Form would be analogous to the canvas upon which you render any of the maps you want. So no, you don't need 20 Forms for 20 maps. One Form would do.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Right. One form where the surface of the form is where the elements that make up the map are drawn.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Also, idk how much knowledge you have in xna, but XNA 4.0 now supports vb.net 2010. You can create 2d and 3d games with xna.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

So instead of placing the items on the form, you would type it all in code for each one and display one of them each time on the same form? Also should I create the game first or make the actual game and maps first?
    Last edited by Brinith; Apr 11th, 2012 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brinith View Post
    So instead of placing the items on the form, you would type it all in code for each one and display one of them each time on the same form? Also should I create the game first or make the actual game and maps first?
    Oh hell no. You create a map editor that generates a map file of a format you create. Your game reads this file and generates the map based on this. You don't hard code the map, that's crazy.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

But mine are just going to be a image since its 2D and all I need to do is define the boundaries and walls for each map. However if you insist on making a map editor, is there any good guides for it?

Banned

oh man, finally an interesting thread, I was so bored, yeah man lets do this thing man lets get this show on the road. you game man ? yo check it :

first of all the map : the character always stays on the middle of the screen man, therefore the map is tiled : 11 over 11 tiles man with each step the tiles refresh man thats a good way to do it ya know what I'm saying man, for each screen you take a picture m'k then you slice it to 121 smaller pictures

next you glue the pictures on a grid :

image slicer :
    http://yotamarker.justforum.net/t21-vbnet-image-slicer

Banned

Thanks, Ill see if I can do it(I'm not very good at programming yet lol)
    EDIT: after reading and trying to understand the code, it made me even more confused. So basically the character is always in the middle in the form and the tiles are the ones changing. But do you have to code how each tiles changes for every movement?
    Last edited by Brinith; Apr 12th, 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Banned

what the....
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

If you don't know Moti, enjoy the introduction.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing