Thread: I have to create a RichText that behaves like a tooltip

Addicted Member

I have to create a RichText that behaves like a tooltip

Hello,

I have a task to provide a RichTextBox control that behaves like a tooltip, ie:
    1. Hovering when mouse moves
    2. Remove after N seconds (customizable) or if the user closes it (by "X" button)

The regular tooltip does not provide a RichText capabilities (else I'd take it)

Can you advice how to apply? Should I take a form and put a RichText inside, and set the form properties accordingly? Something else?

Thank you

PowerPoster

Re: I have to create a RichText that behaves like a tooltip

You can add a borderless form name it e.g. frmTooltip, add a RichTextBox when the mouse hover on a control, fill the frmTooltip.RichTextBox with the tooltip, adjust its size and position then show it.

On a control MouseLeave event start a timer with desired interval to hide frmTooltip.

Addicted Member

Thank you

Yes 4x2y is a very helpful man, and very good at VB..

do you need an editable tooltip or just richtext style display?
    you can ownerdraw a tooltip, with any fonts or fontcolors, images, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by .paul. View Post
    do you need an editable tooltip or just richtext style display?
    you can ownerdraw a tooltip, with any fonts or fontcolors, images, etc.
    He may not want to go that way. Another user here recently asked about a control that he can use to highlight letters as he types in a text box. This gave me the idea of making a rich label that can do such a thing and let me tell you it takes some work even just to implement multi-colour text. Its not that much though but just not something you can put together in 10 minutes.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber