Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do many of you still see no need for a slate/tablet?

Do many of you still see no need for a slate/tablet?

Mmm, I'm curious if the following would tempt you:

iPad 3 $499
    9.7" IPS 2048x1536 display (263 PPI)
    A6 w/ quad-core @ 1GHz, 1GB RAM, SGX543MP4 (or newer)
    16GB storage, thinner, lighter, better battery life, etc.

Or what about the:

ASUS Transformer Prime $499
    10.1" S-IPS 1280x800 Corning Gorilla Glass display (150 PPI)
    NVidia Tegra 3 quad-core 1.5GHz, 1GB of RAM.
    32GB storage, thinner, lighter, better battery life, 1.2MP front camera/8MP rear camera with LED flash, 1080p capable.
    (Running Android Ice Cream Sandwich.)

Just curious... the rate the tech for these is improving is crazy fast.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Do many of you still see no need for a slate/tablet?

I don't but then I still don't see the need for a mobile phone that can run apps either. In fact I only got a mobile phone at all about a year and a half ago and I'm still not convinced that wasn't the worst mistake I've ever made. Come to think of it, I'm not 100% sure we really need pens when we've got perfectly good pencils.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Tablets are cool, but I don't see any use in them. They have the worst features between a phone and a pc.
    Most of them can't make a call, and if they can it is really awkward.
    They are almost as big as a netbook but lack 90% of it's features.

Useful CodeBank Entries of mine
    Expand Function
    Code Compiler
    Sudoku Solver
    HotKeyHandler Class

Read this to get Effective help on VBForums
    Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I don't but then I still don't see the need for a mobile phone that can run apps either. In fact I only got a mobile phone at all about a year and a half ago and I'm still not convinced that wasn't the worst mistake I've ever made.
    Couldn't agree more with all of the above.

In fact, I didn't get a mobile phone...my wife got one for me. My philosophy is, however, that she can make me have one but she can't make me use it. Consequently, I turn it one once a month to see if I need to charge it. Other than that, it remains off, and in a drawer at home (at least, that is where I think it is)

I can completely understand where you guys are coming from, but I love my iPad (original).

If you need to do something that involves horsepower (editing movies, pictures, working on large documents such as Excel etc) then yes, it's useless.However, it is an awesome device to "consume media" on...god, I hate that term.

I love taking it to the cottage or out in the backyard to flip through a magazine or newspaper. It's also one of the better experiences you can have while surfing the web IMO. I have Reeder news app on there, some sports news apps, Facebook, a couple of cool photo/news apps - it's really quite amazing.

Do I NEED one? No. Is it nice to have around for entertainment, and easier than lugging around a laptop? Yes.

You just have to stop thinking so "Microsoft-y" and put on your "I just want to have some fun on the web" hats.

I fail to see why slate tablets could ever be better than pencil and paper. They're much heavier and you can never find a chisel when you need one.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I fail to see why slate tablets could ever be better than pencil and paper. They're much heavier and you can never find a chisel when you need one.
    Har-dee-har har.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Grudge View Post
    ...However, it is an awesome device to "consume media" on...god, I hate that term.

But, I think, this is primarily what they are used for. I'd say the same with smart phones. 'consumer devices' has a double connotation.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree, that they use it for all sorts of 'useful' things, but if one actually analyzes what one uses such a device for, I'm certain entertainment would be the majority of it.

So, really, what does the tablet do that you cannot do otherwise? How much convenience does one gain?

As the world becomes more mediacentric - I'm sure there are places in the world where it's easier to get a tablet PC or smart phone to function than a reliable supply of clean water - I'm reminded more and more of the movie Idiocracy. As it becomes more and more normal [sic] to consume such large quantities of intangible vapidity, one becomes an outcast - even oppressed - when one questions the usefulness or need of, almost literally, a widget.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

You definitely have a point. I would consider my own smart phone (iPhone) usage to be about 80% entertainment and 20% useful.

If I were to hone in on the 20% I deemed useful though, about 19% would not be NECESSARY.

Sure, it helps me find decent places to eat when I'm out of town, and it helps me find my way if I need a quick GPS. It even helps me keep in touch with the office when needed and family members at all times.

In that sense I'd consider it absolutely necessary. Really though, I survived without it.

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Bottom line for tablets is only purchase one if after doing research does purchasing a tablet make total sense instead of purchasing one just because they are cool is a very bad idea especially when for most people every dollar counts and needs to be spent wisely.

I looked at tablets when they first came out but saw nothing that would provoke me to purchase one. Then there was a commercial on TV showing someone playing a guitar on an iPad, did some research followed by purchasing a iPad, guitar interface (twenty dollars), guitar software (twenty dollars), software to play piano (fourteen dollars). The advantage of this setup over using my 100w Marshal amp is no more knocks at the door by the police for playing too load. Another nicety is having the ability to do multi-track recording, share recordings between my piano and guitar applications. Other usages are playing videos at trade shows for potential students, watching movies while on an airplane, surfing the web or checking email. When the iPad 3 arrives my plan is to purchase one and link it up to my current iPad so that I can do more things with music including hooking up via MIDI my Korg synthesizer.

I am sure many people purchase tablets without knowing all the facts. For instance a person purchases a tablet for heavy duty word processing will soon learn that there are limitations over the same word processing software available on a laptop computer even if they get an external keyboard. Apple Page’s word processor is nice but lacking what is offered on Word for a laptop or desktop computer.

I really appreciate the battery life of my iPad and that it has never crashed or needed to be completely turned off/on.

Quote Originally Posted by Icyculyr View Post
    Mmm, I'm curious if the following would tempt you:

iPad 3 $499
    9.7" IPS 2048x1536 display (263 PPI)
    A6 w/ quad-core @ 1GHz, 1GB RAM, SGX543MP4 (or newer)
    16GB storage, thinner, lighter, better battery life, etc.

Or what about the:

ASUS Transformer Prime $499
    10.1" S-IPS 1280x800 Corning Gorilla Glass display (150 PPI)
    NVidia Tegra 3 quad-core 1.5GHz, 1GB of RAM.
    32GB storage, thinner, lighter, better battery life, 1.2MP front camera/8MP rear camera with LED flash, 1080p capable.
    (Running Android Ice Cream Sandwich.)

Just curious... the rate the tech for these is improving is crazy fast.
    You already have an iPad 3? That's impressive.

I too think they are a novelty item at best. Got an iPad 2 recently for testing and development, after a week of being interesting as the "new gadget" in the house it's now sitting on the desk waiting to be connected for testing developed apps, and that's it.

It all kind of boils down to: what else can we put Facebook, Twitter and Angry Birds on. Hopefully the vacuum cleaner will be next so I know what to get my girlfriend for Christmas.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu View Post
    It all kind of boils down to: what else can we put Facebook, Twitter and Angry Birds on.
    I just know I'm going to really, really regret asking this, but, what is "Angry Birds"?

(I thought it might be another *cough* *gag* social networking *cough* *gag* site, but the site looks more like an online shopping spree for those suffering from LackAGoodTaste)

the rate the tech for these is improving is crazy fast.
    But here's the point, I couldn't give a stuff what rate the tech is advancing. What I care about is whether the "thing" gives me any benefit. Tech and benefit are not the same thing. My trousers are very low tech but I find them beneficial for keeping my loose change in and stopping me from getting mobbed by hordes of adoring ladies. (OK, I've never actually tested out that second bit but in my heart of hearts I know they wouldn't be able to help themselves). I still don't see what benefit these devices would give me that I can't fulfil better and cheaper through another means.

Addicted Member

I wouldn't say I needed one, but having a tablet has proved to be quite an asset (I have a Motorola Xoom btw).

I have a baby that still sleeps in the same room with us, and she's a light sleeper like mom. So, it's nice to pop in some headphones, turn on Netflix, and watch a movie or tv show without disturbing anyone else. While my phone supports Netflix as well, I just can't watch anything more than 5 minutes or so at a time (like YouTube vids) on a 4" screen. The 10.1" screen on my Xoom is perfect though.

The biggest thing for me though, is that I am reading more, more than I did in college. Books, newspapers, magazines, heck I even have a few comics now and I haven't messed with comics in over 10 years.

I pretty much only use my laptop to rip dvds/cds, store my digital music/movies (which are also backed up on two separate external hard drives), and sync said content to my tablet/phone.

The issue I have with mobile technology right now is, yea it's advancing at a fast rate, but there's nothing to take advantage of it. I mean, next year, there will be quad-core phones. For what? They haven't even figured out how to take full advantage of dual core yet. For a PC, beefy processors/RAM/etc. make sense because of what you can do with a full-blown PC/laptop. So for me, it seems like the content is very slow to catch up to the technology.
    If my post helped you, please rate it!

Languages: VB/ASP.NET 2005, C# 2008,VB6
    Databases: Oracle (knowledge not currently in use), DB2

FROM Customers
    WHERE We_Know_What_We_Want <> DB.Null
    SELECT *
    0 rows returned

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    I just know I'm going to really, really regret asking this, but, what is "Angry Birds"?
    It's one of the best games for Ipad/Ipad2
    Angry Birds

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

My GF bought me the Motorolla Xoom when it first came out and I didnt think I would use it too much but now I use it everyday and like it more than ever. Fast, lightweight and much more portable than my laptop. I use it before I would use my smartphone when I am at home. I like reading email and surfing the web while in bed or anywhere at home. Its just easier to use and see vs my phone. Now if Im needing to use a powerful app like VS or PS etc then yea back to the desktop ball n chain.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

I reckon I will buy a tablet when I become old, have very few things to do and start finding computers too 'difficult'.

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

So that will be Friday? :look:
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

It's not often that I walk into metaphorical things, but this would serve as one occasion of where I have blundered straight into the thick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mendhak View Post
    I reckon I will buy a tablet when I become old, have very few things to do and start finding computers too 'difficult'.
    According to your profile you're 109. So when will you be old, when you're 120?
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

"Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

I see no purpose to them, but I have to run, so that's all I'm saying.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu View Post
    You already have an iPad 3? That's impressive.

I too think they are a novelty item at best. Got an iPad 2 recently for testing and development, after a week of being interesting as the "new gadget" in the house it's now sitting on the desk waiting to be connected for testing developed apps, and that's it.

It all kind of boils down to: what else can we put Facebook, Twitter and Angry Birds on. Hopefully the vacuum cleaner will be next so I know what to get my girlfriend for Christmas.
    Indeed, I convinced Apple to give me one three months before it's even announced. I'm on the lifetime loyalty plan, it has its benefits
    But here's the point, I couldn't give a stuff what rate the tech is advancing. What I care about is whether the "thing" gives me any benefit. Tech and benefit are not the same thing. My trousers are very low tech but I find them beneficial for keeping my loose change in and stopping me from getting mobbed by hordes of adoring ladies. (OK, I've never actually tested out that second bit but in my heart of hearts I know they wouldn't be able to help themselves). I still don't see what benefit these devices would give me that I can't fulfil better and cheaper through another means.
    The rate tech is advancing is important in that the more powerful a device becomes the more apps which were previously impossible due to insufficient power are now becoming possible. Tech and benefit aren't one in the same, but the former can restrict the latter so as the former becomes more powerful there is more flexibility for the latter.

>>>>>

I use my iPhone for gaming but when I get my iPad 3 I'll most definitely use it instead... Infinity Blade 2 looks amazing:

(It'll look even better on the iPhone due to the high PPI display.)

But it'll still look better on my desktop PC...

I second that.

Useful CodeBank Entries of mine
    Expand Function
    Code Compiler
    Sudoku Solver
    HotKeyHandler Class

Read this to get Effective help on VBForums
    Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF

Mmm, right now yes (and only if you've got a powerful enough machine) but that's changing fast. Plus, you've got the really high PPI display which makes everything look even better. I wish they'd push out some 250+ PPI PC displays soon.

I don't but then I still don't see the need for a mobile phone that can run apps either. In fact I only got a mobile phone at all about a year and a half ago and I'm still not convinced that wasn't the worst mistake I've ever made. Come to think of it, I'm not 100% sure we really need pens when we've got perfectly good pencils.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Couldn't agree more with all of the above.

In fact, I didn't get a mobile phone...my wife got one for me. My philosophy is, however, that she can make me have one but she can't make me use it. Consequently, I turn it one once a month to see if I need to charge it. Other than that, it remains off, and in a drawer at home (at least, that is where I think it is)
    You guys need to come out of the Middle Ages darkness and jump into the 21st century sunshine.
    I find tablets very helpfull devices - granted they are not laptops but they are also much smaller and more convenient in various cituations when you wouldn't want to carry around bulky laptop.
    Say you like to cook and need a recipe but don't have much space on ther table - you can literally velcro table to a wall, you may have on the a little stand, etc...
    Someone likes to read books, magazines, nespapers while in transit... The actual use is really endless.
    We are thinking about giving out these devices at work to replace traditional notepads (and pencils to save the forrest ).
    I don't know why would you deny their purpose. You may not need one personally but in general those are extremly usefull things.

PowerPoster

The only problem is the iPad-inspired tablets (and yes, you can get full Windows NT tablets, not those underpowered "stripper" systems with Android) multitouch capacitive digitizers don't handle fine resolution pen input. To get a tablet good for both costs more because it has two separate digitizers built into the display.

Tablets are not nearly as portable as a phone, so I think they'll find more use at home or at work. Many have a full-keyboard docking station you can either leave at home to save weight and bulk or attach to the tablet to carry it with you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I wrote about a page reply, and it vanished. Not gonna repeat it.

The summation is this: From what I am seeing here, it's an expensive device in search of a need. I would suggest that if the thing cost $5.99, you wouldn't use it for ANY of those things. You'd use a real screen for gaming. You'd use something trashable for cooking so that you wouldn't need to worry about spilling ingredients on it. You'd reach just as often for an actual book or newspaper as a pad (you might already, especially if you are one of those people who likes to read in a stall). Because the thing is so expensive, you shape the job around the tool rather than the tool around the job.

PowerPoster

Combination of (XBox) Kinnect controller and a projector for my "consuming" of content.
    Ancient PC for my creation of "content"

The future will be when somebody comes up with a truly functional glasses-based display. Everything we have now is crap. Current glasses-based systems are worse than crap, but the promise in virtually unlimitted. Technically, a glasses-based system would allow private use on a screen of nearly any size in nearly any location. The interface would be Kinnect-like.

Now, some people might think this strange, because it would mean that you would see a person bopping around in dark glasses while gesticulating wildly. You'd look like Stevie Wonder on a bad acid trip. That might make a few people self-conscious, but considering how quickly we adopted headsets, this is seriously not going to be an issue.

The promise is a vastly superior experience in a vastly more portable format. The future isn't smartphones or pads. Both of those suck due to inferior screen size. We have stopped there temporarily because nobody has come up with anything better. But better can be imagined, so better will be made.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I wrote about a page reply, and it vanished. Not gonna repeat it.

The summation is this: From what I am seeing here, it's an expensive device in search of a need. I would suggest that if the thing cost $5.99, you wouldn't use it for ANY of those things. You'd use a real screen for gaming. You'd use something trashable for cooking so that you wouldn't need to worry about spilling ingredients on it. You'd reach just as often for an actual book or newspaper as a pad (you might already, especially if you are one of those people who likes to read in a stall). Because the thing is so expensive, you shape the job around the tool rather than the tool around the job.
    It has an excellent use, many of which have been mentioned (some I didn't even think of). For many people, they primarily use their personal laptop for browsing the web, e-mail, watching videos, listening to music, reading, etc. In short, I would bet that your standard laptop owner (note that his excludes people such as programmers, PC gamers, movie editors) spends at least 70%+ of their time on the laptop consuming media. A tablet is much more convenient for such activities as it is more portable and has much better battery life.

From some of the posts in this topic and mobile technology in general, several people seem to assert that since they personally do not see the value in the devices, anyone that buys them purchased them "just because" and has to find a use for them. It's almost as if some of you have some superiority complex that hinges on how "disconnected" you are.

FROM Customers
    SELECT *
    0 rows returned

Fanatic Member

I do enjoy using my iPad as an entertainment device, and now that iOS 5 is on it I enjoy using it for light web browsing as well (before it was just a PITA and 10 mins of trying to get to my sites made me shut it down and switch to the PC in frustration). It served a great purpose on our vacation this year. I didn't have to lug around a heavy laptop, laptop bag, laptop charger through two airports. On the plane my fiancee and I were able to load up a movie and comfortably watch it together (most airline trays never give me enough room to push back the LCD into a favorable viewing angle). Plus the iPad fit in her purse so I wasn't tasked with carrying it. It worked great for sending a quick email or checking facebook while on vacation. I felt less nervous about bringing it to the beach where it made an excellent radio for us to use.

I don't ever see it as a replacement for a desktop, I enjoy using it but it still gets way less use than my desktop sees. I don't like the fact that they're not upgradable, at all (not just restricted to apple tablets either). The hardware nerd in me just hates the fact that I can't open this thing up and replace parts as needed. I can't put in extra RAM, or a bigger hard drive, things I can do on a laptop or PC easily. If I want to make my tablet better, faster, stronger, well I have to suck it up and buy a newer model. I will always hate that regardless of the device simply because a 50 dollar RAM upgrade will always be more favorable (to me at least) than a 500$ hardware purchase. Also, and this just seems ridiculous to me, I prefer using a tablet over a laptop for extended use because I don't feel like I just microwaved my crotch when I'm finished. Plus they're lighter than the laptops so that makes extended use a lot easier to bear as well.

Tablets are great, in a few years I don't see anyone making netbooks any more and I see more of these "transformer tablets" taking over that space (and most likely the consumer grade laptop space as well).
    Where I'm from we only have one bit of advice for new comers: "If you hear banjos, turn and run".

VS 2008 .NetFW 2.0

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by BackWoodsCoder View Post
    I do enjoy using my iPad as an entertainment device, and now that iOS 5 is on it I enjoy using it for light web browsing as well (before it was just a PITA and 10 mins of trying to get to my sites made me shut it down and switch to the PC in frustration). It served a great purpose on our vacation this year. I didn't have to lug around a heavy laptop, laptop bag, laptop charger through two airports. On the plane my fiancee and I were able to load up a movie and comfortably watch it together (most airline trays never give me enough room to push back the LCD into a favorable viewing angle). Plus the iPad fit in her purse so I wasn't tasked with carrying it. It worked great for sending a quick email or checking facebook while on vacation. I felt less nervous about bringing it to the beach where it made an excellent radio for us to use.

I don't ever see it as a replacement for a desktop, I enjoy using it but it still gets way less use than my desktop sees. I don't like the fact that they're not upgradable, at all (not just restricted to apple tablets either). The hardware nerd in me just hates the fact that I can't open this thing up and replace parts as needed. I can't put in extra RAM, or a bigger hard drive, things I can do on a laptop or PC easily. If I want to make my tablet better, faster, stronger, well I have to suck it up and buy a newer model. I will always hate that regardless of the device simply because a 50 dollar RAM upgrade will always be more favorable (to me at least) than a 500$ hardware purchase. Also, and this just seems ridiculous to me, I prefer using a tablet over a laptop for extended use because I don't feel like I just microwaved my crotch when I'm finished. Plus they're lighter than the laptops so that makes extended use a lot easier to bear as well.

Tablets are great, in a few years I don't see anyone making netbooks any more and I see more of these "transformer tablets" taking over that space (and most likely the consumer grade laptop space as well).
    I agree with your point about it not being upgradeable, but given the fact most of the stuff you do on today's tablets doesn't really require beefier specs, and with game makers being slow to bring over console quality type games, I don't worry too much about that aspect. Once the content catches up with the hardware, I'm sure I'll be ready for a full-fledged upgrade anyway.

And to your point in bold, I know exactly what you mean.

FROM Customers
    SELECT *
    0 rows returned

Quote Originally Posted by Blakk_Majik View Post
    It has an excellent use, many of which have been mentioned (some I didn't even think of). For many people, they primarily use their personal laptop for browsing the web, e-mail, watching videos, listening to music, reading, etc. In short, I would bet that your standard laptop owner (note that his excludes people such as programmers, PC gamers, movie editors) spends at least 70%+ of their time on the laptop consuming media. A tablet is much more convenient for such activities as it is more portable and has much better battery life.
    Fair point. I guess I don't consume all that much media. If that was a big part of my life, I would probably feel that a pad is a great thing.

From some of the posts in this topic and mobile technology in general, several people seem to assert that since they personally do not see the value in the devices, anyone that buys them purchased them "just because" and has to find a use for them. It's almost as if some of you have some superiority complex that hinges on how "disconnected" you are
    Actually, buying something and justifying it afterwards are common human traits, and one we should guard against. It isn't just electronics, but plenty of other things. I've done it myself, and am trying to get away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Actually, buying something and justifying it afterwards are common human traits, and one we should guard against...
    Personally I do the "justifying" before "buying". It perfectly fits my lifestyle (actually may entire family lifestyle). And like it or hate it iPads are awesome devices with practically flowless software.
    Go try one in the store if you haven't done it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoBull View Post
    iPads are awesome devices with practically flowless software.
    That's a good one. Gotta preserve it.

I've seen iPads, and I've seen them used in places where they make sense. They are too expensive for that particular use, though, so I couldn't justify it. Interestingly, the person I saw using the iPad couldn't justify it, either, because he wasn't using his own iPad. Therefore, from his perspective, it was an ideally suited device. The price was $0 for him, and he used the device for that reason. Had the price been $400 for him, he would have done something else, thereby avoiding the cost. The device was ideally suitable because he had a task it was well suited for at a price that he felt was reasonable.

So that's good and abstract, but in many cases, it's better to look at the context of an act before looking at the act itself. In case in question, I was on a trip with a buddy of mine who's as financially responsible a person as you would ever hope to meet. Rather more so than most people would think is reasonable. Being an engineer, and the son of a financial planner, who is studying to become a financial planner, he has some very level-headed ideas when it comes to personal finances. Some might call them boring....but the same might be said about me, so I won't call them boring.

On this trip, we went to his parents house as the launch point for a raft trip. His parents had an iPad, and he used it to check the weather while sitting on the porch. That's an excellent use for an iPad, nor is there another device in existence today that would be superior for that use. It was much more portable than a laptop, which made it easier to take onto the porch, and it has a much bigger screen than a smartphone, making it a superior device for surfing web content. He used the device for the task that it was ideally suited for, then set it aside. I note that he doesn't own an iPad, nor would I expect him to buy one (he doesn't have a smart phone, either). He also didn't take the iPad with him anywhere where it could easily have gone, such as shopping.

This is pretty much my view of them, as well. They are ideal for certain uses, but those uses don't justify $200, let alone $400. Make them cheap enough that they could be left lying around, or run through the washing machine, without causing any personal distress, and they would have a thousand uses. In that situation, I'd have half a dozen of them, at least. Make them so expensive that I'd feel self-conscious about not using them frequently, and I, personally, would be a bit defensive about their use. In that situation, which is the current reality, if I had one, I'd feel compelled to make a use for one.

Perhaps you are different. Perhaps you are rich enough that $400 means nothing to you. I certainly know people like that. Heck, I'm even related to people who would be somewhat cavalier about that paltry sum, but that's not me. Alternatively, perhaps you manage your money in such a way that the price of that device is as unimportant to you as my $200/month sushi habit is unimportant to me. For me, however, the cost of the device is far too high for me to buy one without using it often, so if I were to buy it, I would either already have a specific role for it to play in my life (which I don't), or I'd be creating a role as a means to justify the purchase ex post facto. Since this is my point of view on the subject, I expect that point of view to be common in other people (a well documented trait in humans is to expect that any view they hold to be shared by a majority, though I forget the name for this, and failed to find it in a brief Google search).

That's where I'm coming from. It's not a superiority complex to contemplate your actions and understand your own motivations, or the motivations of those around you.

I still see no need to purchase a tablet/slate. I don't really consume that much information - I spend more time programming and playing various sorts of PC games from the high end AAA games (GTA IV, Batman Arkham Asylum, L.A. Noire) to the low budget indie games (Ben There Dan That, The Binding of Isaac, Voxatron) than watching news, listening to music, watching films and TV series, etc. And lets say I did consume lots of information - news feeds, music, films, pictures - I know this probably sounds incredibly dated but I still have my laptop, which still works and does these jobs satisfactory for me.

PowerPoster

For personal use a lot of factors can go into it.

Say you have a 10 year old car worth $5000 retail sale. Do you put $2000 into needed repairs and updates (tires, polish out the scratched headlight lenses, new battery, etc.) and drive it 2 or 3 or 5 more years or buy a new car at $17,000 or a newer car at $9000? Lots of things to balance there, and some people just say "get me new and shiny" while others spend more effort and less cash to keep what works working.

Of course new needs can enter the equation too. Maybe that 10 year old beast is a fuel hog and you no longer need to seat 8 people.

There's a couple of things going for the tablet. The tablet is intuitive. My dad who struggles with the basic operations on the PC, was able to use the tablet very easily to perform the same operations. That's where the target market for the tablet lies.

The other thing going for the tablet is its battery life. The battery life on these devices is amazing when you compare it to the pc. With a tablet, I am able to do almost everything that I do on a laptop and I don't have to wait for it to boot.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast