Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I love VB

Re: I love VB

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Real men write bar code on napkins
    Now that takes dedication.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Smile Re: I love VB

Quote Originally Posted by opus View Post
    You mention it and I can still "hear" the sound when the banana did hit a house.

Does anybody have a copy of it.
    http://www.kongregate.com/games/Moly/gorillas-bas
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

I'm 16, Started programming at the beginning of 2011, lovin every second of it.

Useful CodeBank Entries of mine
    Expand Function
    Code Compiler
    Sudoku Solver
    HotKeyHandler Class

Read this to get Effective help on VBForums
    Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF

Quote Originally Posted by BlindSniper View Post
    I'm 16, Started programming at the beginning of 2011, lovin every second of it.
    I'm 6 and a half. I like to program pictures in MS Paint.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spetnik View Post
    yes, you registered on this forum before you were born

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Lol View Post
    yes, you registered on this forum before you were born
    I am John Titor

Fanatic Member

Started in 88-89 with qbasic writing batch files and messing with other programs. Learned PASCAL (even though it was virtually dead by the time I did) my freshman year of high school. Forgot PASCAL the next semester. Went through the obligatory GeoCities web development phase, and then got hooked on VB when 6 came out. When .Net was first introduced I took a college class in it, then didn't write another line of code for 6-7 years. Got hooked on it again while I was finishing up school and programming assignments made up the majority of my course work. Decided to make it my career and have been writing VB code for a living for the past three years.
    Where I'm from we only have one bit of advice for new comers: "If you hear banjos, turn and run".

VS 2008 .NetFW 2.0

here's my progression:
    Apple BASIC (82) -> LOGO/Turtle Graphics-> PC-BASIC/GW-BASIC -> Turbo Pascal (90-91) -> Assembler -> Ada/COBOL (it was more Ada than COBOL, part of the package of training in the AF) (95) -> VB3 -> VB6 (98) -> VB.NET2003 -> VB.NET 2005 -> .NET 2008 (incl C#) -> .NET 2010 ... in there along the way I also picked up SQL, HTML, XML, PHP and a myriad of other odds and ends skills.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I am Spartacus

First code - ZX 81, around 1986 I think.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Fanatic Member

-> LOGO/Turtle Graphics->
    I forgot all about LOGO! We used to do little LOGO programs in elementary school. Just copy and paste out of the book, but it was neat to make the little turtle move around and draw stuff by typing in words and numbers
    Where I'm from we only have one bit of advice for new comers: "If you hear banjos, turn and run".

VS 2008 .NetFW 2.0

and heaven help you if you get one angle off, or forget the stop command and like the Energizer bunny, it would just keep going and going and going and going and ...

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Real men write code on bar napkins
    There was no such thing as bar napkins when I started coding. We used papyrus sheets! ;-)

-Max
    The name's "Peck" .... "Max Peck"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    There was no such thing as bar napkins when I started coding. We used papyrus sheets! ;-)

-Max
    Yep, reminds me of my first attempt at coding for unicode text. It's still around and known as the Rosetta Stone
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post

-Max
    Lucky you had papyrus sheets. You can't imagine how hard it was to engrave the code on the stone walls of the caves, just to discover that you forgot to spell int all in smallcase. It really pissed us off when we had to ditch a cave and go search for another just for a stupid little bug like that!

I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Where did that come from ?

Useful CodeBank Entries of mine
    Expand Function
    Code Compiler
    Sudoku Solver
    HotKeyHandler Class

Read this to get Effective help on VBForums
    Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF

PowerPoster

Probably a dig at people who claim they "program" in HTML.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Probably a dig at people who claim they "program" in HTML.
    No it was a dig at people who claim they "program" in VB

No.....it was Spetnik. I don't know why anybody is surprised. From his posts the last few years, the man holds the Golden Chair of VBF.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    Lucky you had papyrus sheets. You can't imagine how hard it was to engrave the code on the stone walls of the caves, just to discover that you forgot to spell int all in smallcase. It really pissed us off when we had to ditch a cave and go search for another just for a stupid little bug like that!

Hey ... so that was you out looking for caves? Should have come over to mine, I'd have lent you some of the papyrus! It had just been invented and you were still stuck carving them into stone. Too bad!

-Max
    The name's "Peck" .... "Max Peck"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

You know what, the pyramids were actually stones with code engraved upon them, assembled into the greatest application of the time.

Those sorry little 'tards of workers put the code facing inwards, defeating the whole purpose of the exercise.

General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Addicted Member

endless thread........

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    No.....it was Spetnik. I don't know why anybody is surprised. From his posts the last few years, the man holds the Golden Chair of VBF.
    VBF?

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Which one? There are two... Although I have an inkling which one you are referring to

General VB Faq Thread

PowerPoster

'Nuff said.

Those sorry little 'tards of workers put the code facing inwards, defeating the whole purpose of the exercise.
    Actually those smart Jewish slaves replaced the code with a virus to rip off the Egyptian bank accounts, then reversed the stones so that nobody could see what they did (because there were no decent code obfuscators at the time).

PowerPoster

Actually those smart Jewish slaves replaced the code with a virus to rip off the Egyptian bank accounts, then reversed the stones so that nobody could see what they did (because there were no decent code obfuscators at the time).
    Ah! That explains the mystery!!

General VB Faq Thread

I started programming in High School in 1985 on the school districts mainframe in Basic - when we didn't want to do anything someone would through the mainframe into an infinite loop since it would take the school 20-30 minutes to contact them and get it shut down. The following year we had 8088 with dual floppy drives programming with gwbasic and pascal. I started VB with VB3 in 1995 or so up through VB5, just picked it up again starting with Visual Studio 2010 - definitely been some changes.

Ah, the gwbasic! That was probably the first programming language I learnt, if you discount the procedures we used to write in dBase III+.

General VB Faq Thread

Bought an HP-85 (with thermal printer and 5" display) to create version 1 of a program, after doing 'Business Cobol' on the Mainframe, after BASIC in HS, using TSO (300 baud), before the Apple's and the TRS80's came out.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aash View Post
    u were 42 yr old at 1982?
    You do realise they don't charge you here for using full words right?
    http://www.scaryminds.com - Horror's last colonial outpost.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiDexter View Post
    You do realise they don't charge you here for using full words right?
    You are obviously getting old Kiwi.

A few years ago I was afraid the internet and the social media would eliminate communication between two real people.

Now I am afraid even the social media and the internet would see communication dwindle down to strange character sequences hardly more than two or three at a time.

Perhaps we are going back to the old ways of communicating with a very limited set of sounds (characters, smileys, abbreviations whatever you want).

General VB Faq Thread

In 82 I turned my calculator upside down and spelt boobies.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

You think that's modern? We had our railway indicators working like that till just a few years ago.

General VB Faq Thread

You think that's modern? We had our railway indicators working like that till just a few years ago.

What are you referring to? Your railway indicators spell boobies? Do you have to turn them upsaide down? and
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Look at the attached image.

The top one shows typically how the numbers are arranged in devices such as the calculators and digital clocks. The bottom one shows how this arrangement was modified by our Railways to be able to display complicated characters such as N, M and the likes.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    General VB Faq Thread

So you could spell boob but not boobies. That's cool, I guess, but they're better in pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    So you could spell boob but not boobies. That's cool, I guess, but they're better in pairs.
    They could, if they wanted. Sadly none of our trains ever reach the boobies, or even boobs for that matter.

General VB Faq Thread

VB is outdated...time to move on..

Move on to what?

VB isn't outdated. It's just lesser basic now.

General VB Faq Thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast