Thread: [RESOLVED] Virtual Class Room - Need ideas for my final year project

Resolved [RESOLVED] Virtual Class Room - Need ideas for my final year project

Hi guys

I have been gathering ideas for my final year project. The project title is "Online Entrance Coaching". That is kind of virtual classroom. Front end is: JAVA for Web Applications. And the backend is: MySQL.

The basic idea is, institutions that offers entrance coaching could register an account with us(our website). Then they will be issued an account(like a group in Facebook or a Community in Facebook) and through that, he(the Admin) could allow their students to register an account under that institution.

Then the students will be able to attend exams(multiple choice questions), know their ranking in various tests he had participated, report cards, etc.
    Also, they would be able to access the question bank(which will be a common question bank for all institutions, means a central question bank). They would also be able to do live chat with the lecturers (institutions registered with us, could allow lecturers to register an account), ask questions and clear doubts, etc.

At present only, only text chat is considered.

In my opinion, it's a very small project. Don't you think so ? I'm planning to add virtual class room, but I don't have any idea.

I'm having some questions and I need your support.
    1. I wish to implement one-to-one voice chat. ie, teacher-student. Will it be tough to implement in JSP ? Do you have any resource or links that could help in accomplishing this ?
    2. I do have some accounts with those who provide PHP and ASP.Net hosting. But don't have JSP hosting account ! Do you know any cheap hosting providers(but should be good in support) that provides JSP hosting ? I have talked to Hostgator and they said they will provide this only in their VPS account which is about 17$/month
    3. I wish to include a online whiteboard, where students could attend the online classes conducted by the lecturer where he would write down the various derivation or equations or forumulas and all the students attending that session will be able to see what he's writing down or drawing. Do you have any suggestions for this option or anything that is freely available ?

Thanks

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Re: Virtual Class Room - Need ideas for my final year project

Hi akhileshbc, sorry to bump this one up but I was wondering what you had for this project? I was actually looking for a set up such as this.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Hi Akhilesh,

a few points for you.

1, i would suggest you want to plug-in to a third party. This looks promising, and its free and opensource

2, Is there a specific reason why your using Java? rather than a more Ajaxy JavaScript led approach (potentially with PHP MVC back end) ? i only ask as given the choice i know i what i would be doing!!!

3, I had a look at this not long ago for a friend of mine and it looks pretty cool - WebWhiteboard

In my opinion, it's a very small project.
    I would say it as small or as big as you want to make it, there is lots you could do with a virtual classroom, some other ideas could be -

- some sort of forum facility for student to collaborate
    - a place for online videos created by the tutors
    - a way of submitting course work online
    - a study planner
    - online time table

to suggest just a few
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by ganddy View Post
    Hi akhileshbc, sorry to bump this one up but I was wondering what you had for this project? I was actually looking for a set up such as this.
    You have bumped a very very very old thread!

I have done this project with some features like online examinations incorporated into it, an online whiteboard, and some other features which I almost forgot now! Because it has been around 4 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    Hi Akhilesh,

a few points for you.

1, i would suggest you want to plug-in to a third party. This looks promising, and its free and opensource

2, Is there a specific reason why your using Java? rather than a more Ajaxy JavaScript led approach (potentially with PHP MVC back end) ? i only ask as given the choice i know i what i would be doing!!!

3, I had a look at this not long ago for a friend of mine and it looks pretty cool - WebWhiteboard

I would say it as small or as big as you want to make it, there is lots you could do with a virtual classroom, some other ideas could be -

- some sort of forum facility for student to collaborate
    - a place for online videos created by the tutors
    - a way of submitting course work online
    - a study planner
    - online time table

to suggest just a few
    Thanks for the suggestions pal
    I believe your suggestions will be very much useful for those who are looking for information related to this.
    But this thread was posted 4 years ago!

I got it done that time. Instead of hosting it on a live server, I have showed the demo using multiple computers connected in a LAN network(in college lab). Everything went well.

We used JSP(JavaServer Pages) because a major portion of my batchmates were also doing JAVA and the teachers and everyone said it's better if we do it in JAVA as it's a safe platform for job and other such things. But I used a lot of jQuery in the project so as to make it interactive.

And for the whiteboard, I got a free API from scribblar.com(product of muchosmedia). Stefan Richter of muchosmedia.com was kind enough to give me a free API for using in our project.
    Am deeply indebted to him for providing a FREE api for me, even when they were only providing paid accounts that time!

I have used that service for more than a month till I have done my final project presentation! Then I informed him that my presentation is over so that he could shutdown my FREE account.

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Re: [RESOLVED] Virtual Class Room - Need ideas for my final year project

But this thread was posted 4 years ago!
    haha, i hadn't noticed that, i just saw the last posters post date.

I did think it strange as i thought you had graduated but i thought you must have decide to do a post-grad course or something

Well hopefully the guy who bumped gets some ideas then
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Re: [RESOLVED] Virtual Class Room - Need ideas for my final year project

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    haha, i hadn't noticed that, i just saw the last posters post date.

I did think it strange as i thought you had graduated but i thought you must have decide to do a post-grad course or something

Well hopefully the guy who bumped gets some ideas then
    It's okay

Yeah hope so.