Thread: Windows 8

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

Windows 8

Just installed it today on HyperV to give it a go through. Certainly a lot "different" than what we are used to, but it has a lot of promise.

Anyone else install it yet?

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

Re: Windows 8

Quote Originally Posted by kleinma View Post
    Just installed it today on HyperV to give it a go through. Certainly a lot "different" than what we are used to, but it has a lot of promise.

Yes, I've been playing with it today. I'm still looking for this 'promise' that everyone keeps talking about. It's Win7 with an alternative shell. I'm interested in knowing whether it was joined up on purpose and will stay there or whether it's meant to be split so that the tablet bits run on a tablet, rather than a tablet UI with an entire desktop OS and all of its registries and COM+ and DCOM and servers and services chugging along in the background.

Isn't that what they said about "Vista" and then "Windows 7".

I am using windows 7 and I like it so far.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

isn't it experimental version, and not applicable for software, am i wrong?
    how you can say it's promising?

(prŏm'ĭ-sĭng)
    adj.
    Likely to develop in a desirable manner.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Quote Originally Posted by Aash View Post
    isn't it experimental version, and not applicable for software, am i wrong?
    how you can say it's promising?
    It is a preview build which I suppose could be called an alpha build since it is pre-beta. However I don't know what you mean by "not applicable for software". It is still a full blown Windows installation and you can install software on it just as you would with a release version of Windows.

I already installed the software I sell commercially to test how that process goes, and it went through without any problems (it even was able to determine .NET 3.5 was needed and not present, and downloaded it and installed it, which was a Windows 8 thing, since my installer is not setup to do that).

Quote Originally Posted by mendhak View Post
    Yes, I've been playing with it today. I'm still looking for this 'promise' that everyone keeps talking about. It's Win7 with an alternative shell. I'm interested in knowing whether it was joined up on purpose and will stay there or whether it's meant to be split so that the tablet bits run on a tablet, rather than a tablet UI with an entire desktop OS and all of its registries and COM+ and DCOM and servers and services chugging along in the background.
    I think its somewhat of a merger between the form factors, and while many things are enabled for touch, those things will still work just fine with mouse and keyboard, and the "Desktop" portion of Windows is more or less the same as Windows 7 (yes with tweaks of course). However the one main change on the desktop front is the start menu is essentially gone and replaced with the "start screen" which is of course that touch centric user interface. Considering the start menu has been indexed since vista, as long as search is easy to get to, I don't really care if there is a traditional start menu or not. I am sure some people will not feel the same though.

PowerPoster

Too bad they kept the "washed out look" of Windows 7 on the Explorer Desktop. Going back to Vista was like having the scales fall from my eyes, with everything crisp and clear again. I haven't had any motivation to move to Windows 7 even though I have two retail packs of Ultimate sitting right here.

We'll have to see how things change as it gets closer to shipping. We're probably stuck with the Ribbon all over Explorer and such though. It will be very interesting to see how this works as a developer's or office worker's machine.

Are the mouse gestures documented someplace? I've been discovering them through trial and error.

What do you mean by washed out?

Yup. The XPS (Intel i7-2600 with 8GB) was sitting there asking me to put Virtual Box on there and install it. Install went without a hitch. Installed the 64-bit with tools so I'm chewing on the documentation right now.

-Max
    The name's "Peck" .... "Max Peck"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Too bad they kept the "washed out look" of Windows 7 on the Explorer Desktop. Going back to Vista was like having the scales fall from my eyes, with everything crisp and clear again. I haven't had any motivation to move to Windows 7 even though I have two retail packs of Ultimate sitting right here.
    I'm not sure how you've got this issue with Win7 not being clearer than Vista, I've been enjoying how the Win7 Aero is less fuzzy by default & can even be adjusted than Vista.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    I'm not sure how you've got this issue with Win7 not being clearer than Vista, I've been enjoying how the Win7 Aero is less fuzzy by default & can even be adjusted than Vista.
    I'll second that. I've found the interface in Win7 to be extremely good on my 53 year-old eyes. Not sure what he means by "washed out". Maybe his LCD is going bad?

-Max

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

PowerPoster

Washed out means pale colors with very low contrast between them. This is especially pronounced where you have small icons and font sizes which don't leave ClearType a lot of bandwidth to work with.

I suppose it is like trying to explain color to a blind man since so few have ever worked with Vista here having fallen victim to the FUD.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

The main UI difference (that I have seen) between 7 and Vista is that in Vista the taskbar becomes opaque when a window is maximised. In 7, it remains translucent all of the time.

Icons and text (after running the ClearType tuner utility) all look mostly the same to me. In fact, I'd say 7's monochrome notification icons have higher contrast and are easier to distinguish than the older colour ones.

PowerPoster

It probably doesn't help that almost all of my recent use of Win7 (and Win8) is inside VMs which may distort the palette too I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    Yup. The XPS (Intel i7-2600 with 8GB) was sitting there asking me to put Virtual Box on there and install it. Install went without a hitch. Installed the 64-bit with tools so I'm chewing on the documentation right now.

-Max
    I think my system is too old
    My work laptop is even older

I get it installed on VirtualBox but I cant get past the logon screen. It just sat there for hours, blank screen. Tried installing fresh twice now and each time same thing.

I only have 1Gb memory to allocate to the image and 2 cores
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

PowerPoster

I've been able to have it run in VirtualBox even giving it only 768MB of RAM. It even looks like it might limp along reduced to 512MB too. I now give it 2 cores capped at 80% use and that feels decent. Seems to be hungry for video RAM though, I gave it 2D accel and 64MB of video RAM and that keeps it happy though it won't go widescreen ("dumb" monitor emulated by VirtualBox I guess).

Hmm, I did 1024 ram, 2 cores, 128 video and IO APIC, PAE/NX, both hardware virtualization options, both 2D/3D acceleration, IDE controller PIIX4, using host I/O cache, WHD drive and the rest are probably not affecting settings
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

So far the thing seems to run "OK", though the XAML designer crashes VS after I place a text box on the grid. I read through the initial tutorial for awhile and found it very non-intuitive. They need to explain things a little better. I made it halfway through the tutorial with my .Net knowledge helping me to figure out where to put some of the code they were talking about but they didn't explain enough to fix all the missing references at that point. Bad tutorial.

So ... I figured I'd just make my own quick "Hello World" app from the designer - but I couldn't get 2 controls onto the surface without locking VS up. I'll wait awhile for the next release of the kit or learn enough XAML to do it manually.

One thing's for SURE ... it's got a LONG way to go before it will be viable. Looks like a cool idea but they're probably going to need all of the next year to stabilize it.

Blue screen on death Windows 8 style, see link in linked to post.

http://www.vbforums.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=26
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Frenzied Member

Personally I am more interested in WinRT and what they are doing in terms of cleaning up the api access and defining it as a separate entity with clearer boundaries. It will be nice to see some of the features of .net moved back out into WinRT in the future, leaving it as a managed runtime with access to a native api... just like ma always wanted.