Thread: Startup Delayer Program Advice?

Question Startup Delayer Program Advice?

Hello again! I have an idea for a project, and I would like some tips on where to start. Kind of like a general roadmap, if you will.

My goal is to make something similar to this:
    http://www.r2.com.au/page/products/p...how/startdelay

I know it's gonna have to start up before other programs, and right after the very basic Windows stuff.

I would like to implement a time delay, a way to read the startup programs (from the Startup folder and from Registry, and/or wherever else startup programs are located), and possible some type of graphical interface, such as the program mentioned above.

Any and all advice and tips would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance! =D

Re: Startup Delayer Program Advice?

Delayed start is a technology most notable within Windows Vista and Windows 7, where they delay the startup of non-essential services, in order to have the OS boot quicker.

I'm not 100% sure how you'd accomplish the time day for applications though. I made an app to get startup items from the registry and PC though. It took forever. I had to figure out every location startup items could be, which was somewhere around 10 or so, then I had to determine how to grab the items, turn them on and off, etc. It was a pain.

But, you might want to start with Process Monitor. It's been an invaluable tool for me. If you're not familiar, you can use it to single out a process and determine what that process does to the registry, file system, threads, etc.

I used it to figure out where Msconfig was grabbing the startup items from. It can take quite a long time though.

So, you can start with that and figure out how Delayer does it and go from there.

*Edit:

Here's a picture of the startup tool I made.

Last edited by weirddemon; Apr 10th, 2011 at 05:34 PM.
    CodeBank contributions: Process Manager, Temp File Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley
    "game trainer" is the same as calling the act of robbing a bank "wealth redistribution"....

Thanks a lot for the very quick reply! I'm looking into it now.

WOW. I never would've thought that it would be so difficult. 0.o

I think I'm gonna pass on this project. LoL.

BTW, nice-lookin' program you got there! Thanks for the help man. Good luck to you in your endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by SLeePYG72786 View Post
    WOW. I never would've thought that it would be so difficult. 0.o

I think I'm gonna pass on this project. LoL.

BTW, nice-lookin' program you got there! Thanks for the help man. Good luck to you in your endeavors.
    Yeah. If I had known it was going to be as difficult as it was before I promised my users it, I wouldn't have even bothered :P

I'm probably going to release my code for this class soon. I've noticed a lot of people asking for something like this, I just need to clean up the project and properly comment it before I release it.
    Last edited by weirddemon; Apr 10th, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
    CodeBank contributions: Process Manager, Temp File Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley
    "game trainer" is the same as calling the act of robbing a bank "wealth redistribution"....

That would be cool. I hope it is well-received, especially after all the pain you went through to get that going.