Thread: [Extension] Set control properties across threads

PowerPoster

[Extension] Set control properties across threads

[C# version here]

Updated: includes methods and functions now as well.

Update:
    ForumAccount suggested that the code can be used for any type that implements ISynchronizeInvoke, not just Controls, see here. Since I don't have time to update all this code right now, if you need this change you can just change every Control reference to ISynchronizeInvoke instead.

-------

Hi,

Usually if you want to set a property of a control from another thread you will get an invalid cross-thread operation exception. To solve this you need to invoke a delegate on the same thread, which usually goes like this:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Private Delegate Sub SetLabelTextDelegate(ByVal text As String)
    3.     Private Sub SetLabelText(ByVal text As String)
    4.         If Label1.InvokeRequired Then
    5.             Label1.Invoke(New SetLabelTextDelegate(AddressOf SetLabelText), text)
    6.         Else
    7.             Label1.Text = text
    8.         End If
    9.     End Sub

This works fine, but the problem is that it's kind of 'wordy' and can get really annoying to type if you need it for many properties and controls.

I thought I could come up with a quicker solution and I managed to create two extension methods (on Control) to get and set a property safely across threads:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Option Strict On
    2. Option Infer On
    4. Imports System.Linq.Expressions
    5. Imports System.Reflection
    6. Imports System.Runtime.CompilerServices
    8. Module Extensions
    10.     Private Delegate Sub SetThreadSafePropertyDelegate(Of T)(ByVal control As Control, ByVal [property] As Expression(Of Func(Of T)), ByVal value As T)
    11.     Private Delegate Function GetThreadSaferopertyDelegate(Of T)(ByVal control As Control, ByVal [property] As Expression(Of Func(Of T))) As T
    12.     Private Delegate Sub InvokeThreadSafeMethodDelegate(ByVal control As Control, ByVal method As Expression(Of Action))
    13.     Private Delegate Function InvokeThreadSafeFunctionDelegate(Of T)(ByVal control As Control, ByVal [function] As Expression(Of Func(Of T))) As T
    15.     ''' <summary>
    16.     ''' Sets the specified property of this control to the specified value safely across threads by invoking a delegate if necessary.
    17.     ''' </summary>
    18.     ''' <typeparam name="T">The type of the property. Can usually be inferred from usage.</typeparam>
    19.     ''' <param name="control">The control to set the property on.</param>
    20.     ''' <param name="property">The property to set as a lambda expression.</param>
    21.     ''' <param name="value">The new value of the property.</param>
    22.     <Extension()> _
    23.     Public Sub SetThreadSafeProperty(Of T)(ByVal control As Control, ByVal [property] As Expression(Of Func(Of T)), ByVal value As T)
    24.         If (control.InvokeRequired) Then
    25.             Dim del = New SetThreadSafePropertyDelegate(Of T)(AddressOf SetThreadSafeProperty)
    26.             control.Invoke(del, control, [property], value)
    27.         Else
    28.             Dim propertyInfo = GetPropertyInfo([property])
    29.             If (propertyInfo IsNot Nothing) Then
    30.                 propertyInfo.SetValue(control, value, Nothing)
    31.             End If
    32.         End If
    33.     End Sub
    35.     ''' <summary>
    36.     ''' Gets the value of the specified property of this control safely across threads by invoking a delegate if necessary.
    37.     ''' </summary>
    38.     ''' <typeparam name="T">The type of the property. Can usually be inferred from usage.</typeparam>
    39.     ''' <param name="control">The control to get the property from.</param>
    40.     ''' <param name="property">The property to get the value from as a lambda expression.</param>
    41.     ''' <returns>The value of the specified property.</returns>
    42.     <Extension()> _
    43.     Public Function GetThreadSafeProperty(Of T)(ByVal control As Control, ByVal [property] As Expression(Of Func(Of T))) As T
    44.         If (control.InvokeRequired) Then
    45.             Dim del = New GetThreadSaferopertyDelegate(Of T)(AddressOf GetThreadSafeProperty)
    46.             Return DirectCast(control.Invoke(del, control, [property]), T)
    47.         Else
    48.             Dim propertyInfo = GetPropertyInfo([property])
    49.             If (propertyInfo IsNot Nothing) Then
    50.                 Return DirectCast(propertyInfo.GetValue(control, Nothing), T)
    51.             End If
    52.         End If
    53.         Return Nothing
    54.     End Function
    56.     ''' <summary>
    57.     ''' Invokes a method of this control safely across threads by invoking a delegate if necessary.
    58.     ''' </summary>
    59.     ''' <param name="control">The control to invoke the method on.</param>
    60.     ''' <param name="method">The method to invoke as an expression.</param>
    61.     <Extension()> _
    62.     Public Sub InvokeThreadSafeMethod(ByVal control As Control, ByVal method As Expression(Of Action))
    63.         If (control.InvokeRequired) Then
    64.             Dim del = New InvokeThreadSafeMethodDelegate(AddressOf InvokeThreadSafeMethod)
    65.             control.Invoke(del, control, method)
    66.         Else
    67.             method.Compile().DynamicInvoke()
    68.         End If
    69.     End Sub
    71.     ''' <summary>
    72.     ''' Invokes a function of this control safely across threads by invoking a delegate if necessary.
    73.     ''' </summary>
    74.     ''' <typeparam name="T">The return type of the function to invoke. Can usually be inferred from usage.</typeparam>
    75.     ''' <param name="control">The control to invoke the function on.</param>
    76.     ''' <param name="function">The function to invoke as an expression.</param>
    77.     ''' <returns>The result of the function to invoke.</returns>
    78.     <Extension()> _
    79.     Public Function InvokeThreadSafeFunction(Of T)(ByVal control As Control, ByVal [function] As Expression(Of Func(Of T))) As T
    80.         If (control.InvokeRequired) Then
    81.             Dim del = New InvokeThreadSafeFunctionDelegate(Of T)(AddressOf InvokeThreadSafeFunction)
    82.             Return DirectCast(control.Invoke(del, control, [function]), T)
    83.         Else
    84.             Return DirectCast([function].Compile().DynamicInvoke(), T)
    85.         End If
    86.     End Function
    88.     Private Function GetMemberInfo(ByVal expression As Expression) As MemberInfo
    89.         Dim memberExpression As MemberExpression
    90.         Dim lambda = DirectCast(expression, LambdaExpression)
    91.         If (TypeOf lambda.Body Is UnaryExpression) Then
    92.             memberExpression = DirectCast(DirectCast(lambda.Body, UnaryExpression).Operand, MemberExpression)
    93.         Else
    94.             memberExpression = DirectCast(lambda.Body, MemberExpression)
    95.         End If
    96.         Return memberExpression.Member
    97.     End Function
    99.     Private Function GetPropertyInfo(ByVal expression As Expression) As PropertyInfo
    100.         Dim memberInfo = GetMemberInfo(expression)
    101.         If (memberInfo.MemberType = Reflection.MemberTypes.Property) Then
    102.             Return DirectCast(memberInfo, PropertyInfo)
    103.         End If
    104.         Return Nothing
    105.     End Function
    107. End Module

It looks complicated but usage is pretty easy. You'll need to pass the property as a lambda expression (which turns out something like "Function() <property here>"), as well as the value you want to set it to. Even though the extension method takes a type parameter, it can usually be inferred from the objects you pass (the property lambda and the value) so you won't need to supply it.

Usage examples:
    vb.net Code:
    1. ' Set label text
    2. Label1.SetThreadSafeProperty(Function() Label1.Text, "test text")
    4. ' Disable button
    5. Button1.SetThreadSafeProperty(Function() Button1.Enabled, false)
    7. ' Get textbox text
    8. Dim text As String = TextBox1.GetThreadSafeProperty(Function() TextBox1.Text)
    10. ' Invoke some method (note: Sub() instead of Function() !)
    11. CustomControl1.InvokeThreadSafeMethod(Sub() CustomControl1.SomeMethod("a", 3))
    13. ' Invoke some function
    14. Dim x = CustomControl2.InvokeThreadSafeFunction(Function() CustomControl2.SomeFunction(y))
    I'm not that much into threading yet, but it seems to work fine for a few little tests I've done.

The only drawback is that it uses Reflection which can be a little slow, but it's only one call and I think it should be fine.

I'm open to suggestions! One thing I don't much like is that it seems a little redundant to use the control name twice (first to call the extension method on, second to pass the property you want to set), but the only way I can think of to get around that is to pass the property name as a string, and I don't like that approach at all as it's error prone (no compile errors if you miss-spell it)...

Enjoy.

Re: [Extension] Set control properties across threads

Looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickThissen View Post
    I am actually trying to figure out how to do invoke a method (or function) this way, but I cannot figure out how to pass a method to the extension method without the user having to declare a delegate (which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid), so that's on hold for the moment.
    I think that you would just have to overload your extensions using Func(Of TResult), Func(Of T, TResult), Func(Of T1, T2, TResult), Action, Action(Of T), Action(Of T1, T2), etc. In .NET 4.0, Action and Func delegates support up to 16 arguments. I think that it's 4 in .NET 3.5.

PowerPoster

Thanks, I finally got around to trying that and it does seem to work. However, is there no other way, some way to make it accept any parameters (in the worst case: just as an object parameter array)? I don't fancy writing out the code for 16 parameters for both methods and functions...

Edit:
    I seem to have found a way, I can pass the method as an Expression<Action>, cast its Body to MethodCallExpression and then Invoke its Method property;
    vb.net Code:
    1. Dim methodExpression = DirectCast(expression.Body, MethodCallExpression)
    2. methodExpression.Method.Invoke(control, args)
    This seems to work for an arbitrary amount of parameters but it does require me to pass any parameters twice: once to the method itself (I suppose to support different overloads) and then to my extension method call as well:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Dim r = New Rectangle(1, 2, 3, 4)
    2.  Label1.InvokeThreadSafeMethod(Sub() Label1.Invalidate(r), r)

That's not really ideal either... Furthermore, it is entirely valid to compile code where you pass an argument to the method expression and not to the extension or vice versa:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Dim r = New Rectangle(1, 2, 3, 4)
    2. Label1.InvokeThreadSafeMethod(Sub() Label1.Invalidate(), r)   'forgot 'r' in Label1.Invalidate(r)
    3. Label1.InvokeThreadSafeMethod(Sub() Label1.Invalidate(r))   'forgot to pass 'r' as argument
    Both compile just fine but throw exceptions during run-time...

Quote Originally Posted by NickThissen View Post
    Thanks, I finally got around to trying that and it does seem to work. However, is there no other way, some way to make it accept any parameters (in the worst case: just as an object parameter array)? I don't fancy writing out the code for 16 parameters for both methods and functions...
    You'd have to use Reflection again and I think it would be more complex this time. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it though.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    You'd have to use Reflection again and I think it would be more complex this time. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it though.
    I found a different way but it has some major drawbacks, see my edited post in case you didn't already. In the meantime I'll try to look for a better way using Reflection.

PowerPoster

I don't think it's possible... As far as I can find, it is impossible to pass a method without providing the parameters, as that would mean passing a 'method group' (group of overloads) which seems impossible from a short google search.

I am now looking for a way to invoke the method without having a list of parameter values, which doesn't seem possible either. I'd think the Expression<Action> would somehow be able to give me the list of parameter values, but I cannot find how. I can get the MethodInfo, and from that I can get an array of ParameterInfo objects, but those cannot give me the value of the parameters, just the names and types, so that's useless too...

In short, I can do this:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Public Sub SomeMethod(ByVal control As Control, ByVal method As Expression(Of Action))
    2.    Dim methodInfo = DirectCast(method.Body, MethodCallExpression).Method
    3.    methodInfo.Invoke(control, args...?)
    4. End Sub
    6. 'Call:
    7. Label1.SomeMethod(Sub() Label1.Invalidate(rect))
    This way I'm passing the 'rect' argument just once, but there is no way to get its value in the SomeMethod extension... So I cannot invoke the method. The only way I can find is what I already had: pass the arguments into the SomeMethod method separately, but then I'm passing them twice...

Any idea's?

Given that Control.Invoke doesn't guarantee type safety, I guess you could just follow it:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Imports System.Runtime.CompilerServices
    3. Public Module ControlExtensions
    5.     <Extension()>
    6.     Public Function InvokeThreadSafeMethod(sender As Control, method As [Delegate]) As Object
    7.         Return sender.InvokeThreadSafeMethod(method, Nothing)
    8.     End Function
    10.     <Extension()>
    11.     Public Function InvokeThreadSafeMethod(sender As Control, method As [Delegate], ParamArray args As Object()) As Object
    12.         If sender.InvokeRequired Then
    13.             Return sender.Invoke(method, args)
    14.         Else
    15.             Return method.DynamicInvoke(args)
    16.         End If
    17.     End Function
    19. End Module
    You would then call that InvokeThreadSafeMethod in exactly the same way as you would usually call Invoke. It will accept any delegate and any number of arguments of any type.

Example usage:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Me.TextBox1.InvokeThreadSafeMethod(New MethodInvoker(AddressOf TextBox1.Clear))

PowerPoster

The problem with that is that I still have to pass the arguments twice. For example, I have a UserControl with a TextBox with these two methods:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Public Class UserControl
    3.     Public Sub TestMethod()
    4.         TextBox1.Clear()
    5.     End Sub
    7.     Public Sub TestMethod(ByVal s As String)
    8.         TextBox1.Text = s
    9.     End Sub
    11. End Class

To call it, I need to do:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Private Sub RunInThread()
    2.         Dim s = "Test"
    3.         UserControl1.InvokeThreadSafeMethod(Sub() UserControl1.TestMethod())
    4.         UserControl1.InvokeThreadSafeMethod(Sub() UserControl1.TestMethod(s), s)
    5.     End Sub
    This works, the second UserControl sets the TextBox text correctly.

However, if I leave out the parameter, like so:
    Code:
        Private Sub RunInThread()
            Dim s = "Test"
            UserControl1.InvokeThreadSafeMethod(Sub() UserControl1.TestMethod(), s)
        End Sub
    then it calls the first overload without arguments and doesn't set any text, so the 's' argument is just ignored I guess.

I might also be able to pass an Action(Of String) to indicate I want the overload with a string argument, but then the users would still be creating the delegate themselves which is what I'm trying to avoid.

PowerPoster

Ok, I think I got it! I don't really understand how, but ok...

I got the extension method like this:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Private Delegate Sub InvokeThreadSafeMethodDelegate(ByVal control As Control, ByVal method As [Delegate])
    3.     <Extension()> _
    4.     Public Sub InvokeThreadSafeMethod(ByVal control As Control, ByVal method As [Delegate])
    5.         If (control.InvokeRequired) Then
    6.             Dim del = New InvokeThreadSafeMethodDelegate(AddressOf InvokeThreadSafeMethod)
    7.             control.Invoke(del, control, method)
    8.         Else
    9.             method.DynamicInvoke()
    10.         End If
    11.     End Sub

And I can call it like this:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Private Sub RunInThread()
    2.         Dim s = "Test"
    3.         UserControl1.InvokeThreadSafeMethod(Sub() UserControl1.TestMethod())
    4.         UserControl2.InvokeThreadSafeMethod(Sub() UserControl2.TestMethod(s))
    5.     End Sub
    The first UserControl is clearing, the second one is setting the text.

PowerPoster

In the end I decided to pass the method as an Expression(Of Action), which I can then compile into a delegate and DynamicInvoke. For a function it's the same except it's passed as an Expression(Of Func(Of T)). The Compile step is probably quite slow (though I didn't do any speed tests) but I think it's neater than just accepting any delegate, especially since functions can now return their correct type instead of object.

This looks great, Nick. I think it will help a lot of people out. I'm going to play around with it later, but I noticed that it's not very Option Strict On friendly.

Lines 27 and 47 is not allowed late binding with option strict on. GetMemberInfo doesn't have an 'As' clause, line 89 says, "Option Strict On disallows implicit conversions from 'System.Linq.Expressions.Expression' to 'System.Linq.Expressions.MemberExpression'.", GetPropertyInfo also doesn't have an 'As' clause, and line 98 is also disallowed because of late binding.
    CodeBank contributions: Process Manager, Temp File Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley
    "game trainer" is the same as calling the act of robbing a bank "wealth redistribution"....

PowerPoster

Ugh, sorry about that. I am so used to working with option strict on that I don't even notice when it is actually off... And that's when the errors slip in
    The only errors were actually the two As clauses in the functions (which in turn causes a ton of late binding errors), and one implicit conversion.
    This was a straight translation from C#, that's how I always forget the As clause in functions (since C# has the type in front of the name). The implicit conversion of the Operand property to MemberExpression however seems to be valid in C# but not in VB, strange..? I added another cast there, but I still think it's weird that it's not required in C#.

Anyway, it should all work with option strict on now. I've also added the option infer statement at the top because I'm using it quite alot (another habit I picked up from C# and its var keyword), just in cause someone has it off in their settings, in which case my code would probably not compile.

Nick, you should set your VB defaults in the IDE Options, so that every new project has them set appropriately by default.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Nick, you should set your VB defaults in the IDE Options, so that every new project has them set appropriately by default.
    Yep, I know. The problem is when I install VS on a new computer (in this case a new laptop), I always forget because I simply don't make many errors like this anymore even when it is off. Then when I do make an error I don't notice it

Is there any way I can use this targeting the 2.0 framework?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDorian View Post
    Is there any way I can use this targeting the 2.0 framework?
    Extension methods don't exist prior to .NET 3.5. An extension method is just a regular method with an Extension attribute on it though. You can just declare a regular method and call it as a regular method.

PowerPoster

I think I'm using some more .NET 3.5 and higher stuff though. What about the System.Linq.Expressions namespace? I'm using Expression(Of Func(Of T)) for example, I don't think that's available in 2.0?

Why limit it to the Control type? Why not let it use anything that implements the ISynchronizeInvoke interface? The methods and properties you are calling/testing, i.e. Invoke and InvokeRequired are just members of the ISynchronizeInvoke interface.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccount View Post
    Why limit it to the Control type? Why not let it use anything that implements the ISynchronizeInvoke interface? The methods and properties you are calling/testing, i.e. Invoke and InvokeRequired are just members of the ISynchronizeInvoke interface.
    Good point! Don't know why I choose Control... Probably because I made this due to having need for it, and I needed it for controls only at that point. I should change it when I have some time, but I'll probably forget For now I'll add a link to this post so that people can see it can be used for any ISynchronizeInvoke object by just replacing every Control reference by ISynchronizeInvoke. It should be a quick fix (find/replace yay!) but I'd like to update the XML comments as well, I'll do it when I remember in the future

Fanatic Member

Really nice method you got there, I thought the only way was using tons of overloaded delegates. Nice work.

Got a question somewhat related. Is it possible to make an "AsyncExecute" function, which runs the function/sub with the parameters specified? You may need to temporarily store the parameters and call the function from a subroutine that has no parameters. It is one of those things that would make certain operations a lot simpler, for example, you need to save data to a file asynchronously and the subroutine has a filepath argument.

At some point it may be useless (since you can't return data), but it could also allow for more flexible coding. And, you can add a callback property to the executor which will be called when the operation is completed!

Code:
    AsyncExecute(Function() SaveFile("file.txt"), AddressOf SaveCompleted)

Quote Originally Posted by bergerkiller View Post
    Really nice method you got there, I thought the only way was using tons of overloaded delegates. Nice work.

Got a question somewhat related. Is it possible to make an "AsyncExecute" function, which runs the function/sub with the parameters specified? You may need to temporarily store the parameters and call the function from a subroutine that has no parameters. It is one of those things that would make certain operations a lot simpler, for example, you need to save data to a file asynchronously and the subroutine has a filepath argument.

At some point it may be useless (since you can't return data), but it could also allow for more flexible coding. And, you can add a callback property to the executor which will be called when the operation is completed!

Code:
    AsyncExecute(Function() SaveFile("file.txt"), AddressOf SaveCompleted)
    You should look at the new System.Threading.Tasks namespace in .NET 4.0 and the TaskFactory, Task and Task(Of TResult) classes in particular.

Fanatic Member

Trying to stay compatible with framework version 2.0, but since his example requires 3.5 it does not make sense, my bad.

I'll look into the newer Task namespaces then.

Nick,

Do you know why I can't use SetThreadSafeProperty with a ToolStripTextBox? It says that property isn't a member of 'System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripTextBox.'

I tried changing all of the control references to ISynchronizeInvoke, but a bunch of other errors occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDorian View Post
    Nick,

Do you know why I can't use SetThreadSafeProperty with a ToolStripTextBox? It says that property isn't a member of 'System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripTextBox.'

I tried changing all of the control references to ISynchronizeInvoke, but a bunch of other errors occurred.
    It is the Control class that implements ISynchronizeInvoke and a ToolStripTextBox is not a control. When you read the documentation for the ToolStripTextBox class you would have seen that and you also would have seen that it has a TextBox property, which refers to the TextBox control that it hosts. That TextBox is just a regular TextBox, so it is obviously a control.

Really great stuff nick. Already has saved a lot of writing.