Thread: Brevity

Brevity

What is the best act of brevity you ever did in your life?

Last edited by honeybee; Feb 28th, 2011 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Question changed to be consistent with the title.
    I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Re: Brevity

Brevity
    You do realise that Brevity comes from Brief, meaning a short period ?
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    What is the best act of brevity you ever did in your life?

Not this.

...?
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

You might have been going for "bravery".

I might, but then I changed the content. What the heck, it would be equally interesting to know if people have been able to compress their communication into as few characters as possible.

General VB Faq Thread

To the best of my knowledge, the shortest communication was between an author and his agent. The author had been awaiting word on how sales of his book was going. He sent a telegram to his agent, consisting of a single question mark: "?" The reply from the agent was just as brief: "!"

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member

On Saturday I asked the staff if I could get a ride the next day to look at an apartment. They told me to check with them the next day. So I went up to the office on Sunday and one staff looked at me and said "Yes." I said "Cool." That was my shortest conversation.
    VB6 Library

If I helped you then please help me and rate my post!
    If you solved your problem, then please mark the post resolved

My wife looked at me,.., and I just shook my head!

(NOT what you are thinking, she was looking for shoes, whatelse!)
    You're welcome to rate this post!
    If your problem is solved, please use the Mark thread as resolved button

Wait, I'm too old to hurry!

###

Well, doggone it. That message was too short, so I ended up writing a longer message just to be brief. Who was it who said, "I wrote you a long letter because I didn't have time to write you a short one."...or something similar to that.

EDIT: Better yet, my act of brevity got auto-censored, so it clearly didn't fit the description of my BEST act of brevity.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

or perhaps you should have just accepted the censorship. It would have added to the brevity.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I did. That was the post before that one. It was so brief that it didn't show up at all.

Brevity = Concise and exact use of words in writing or speech (as per dictionary.com)

So wouldn't the use of brevity require you to use at least some words? Communication without words wouldn't qualify as brevity.

General VB Faq Thread

Brevity = shortness of duration; especially : shortness or conciseness of expression (from Merriam-Webster.com

The use of brevity is simply about time... it can be communication or an action.

EX: The hallmark of an efficient engine is the brevity in which it can change gears.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

One finger can speak volumes if applied appropriately.

EDIT: In case anybody was wondering, this statement can be verified both in the teachings of Zen, as well as the highways of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post

EDIT: In case anybody was wondering, this statement can be verified both in the teachings of Zen, as well as the highways of the US.
    Well, over here drivers are smart enough to recognize even if you simply form the words on your lips, without actually uttering them!

General VB Faq Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post

Except in New Jersey, where you need not go on a highway to verify this.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

wouldn't the use of brevity require you to use at least some words?
    For Roger Moore, one eyebrow is all that's required.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    For Roger Moore, one eyebrow is all that's required.
    And only a glance for Sean Connery?

General VB Faq Thread