Thread: Mearge HDD in Win 7

Mearge HDD in Win 7

Hi All,

I'm stuck with this.

In my laptop I've install Win 7 and now running lower space in my C: drive. I've an unpartition space of 10 GB and I want to attach part of it to the C: drive. Is there any best way to do that, without formatting the system.

Hope I'm clear enough.

Thanks
    “victory breeds hatred, the defeated live in pain; happily the peaceful live giving up victory and defeat” - Gautama Buddha

Re: Mearge HDD in Win 7

If I understand clearly what you are saying, you have 10gb of unpartitioned space on your hard drive that you would like to use right ?

Are you sure its not a backup/recovery reserved space? sometimes instead of including a DVD with the original image with the OS and drivers, manufacturers put it directly on the hard drive.

In order to partition that space and make it available there are multiple tools you can download on the web, I've used Partition Magic from Power Quest before and it worked well. You might need to format the 10gb space you want to use though, but you shouldn't need to format the whole hard drive.
    Alex
    .NET developer
    "No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise." (Walter Kovacs/Rorschach)

Things to consider before posting.
    Don't forget to rate the posts if they helped and mark thread as resolved when they are.

.Net Regex Syntax (Scripting) | .Net Regex Language Element | .Net Regex Class | DateTime format | Framework 4.0: what's new
    My fresh new blog : writingthecode, even if I don't post much.

System: Intel i7 920, Kingston SSDNow V100 64gig, HDD WD Caviar Black 1TB, External WD "My Book" 500GB, XFX Radeon 4890 XT 1GB, 12 GBs Tri-Channel RAM, 1x27" and 1x23" LCDs, Windows 10 x64, ]VS2015, Framework 3.5 and 4.0

Okay, you got me correct. I've unpartition space, and it's not the recovery partition at all. I leave it for trying Linux. For explanation, say I wan to use 2GB from it and use with the C: drive.
    “victory breeds hatred, the defeated live in pain; happily the peaceful live giving up victory and defeat” - Gautama Buddha

Frenzied Member

Try EASEUS Partition Master. Its free!
    VB6 Library

If I helped you then please help me and rate my post!
    If you solved your problem, then please mark the post resolved

Yup, you might be able to do that with a tool like Partition Magic. It should allow you to take 2gb from that partition and merge it back with your "C:" partition. You shouldn't have any problem as long as there's no data on that unpartitioned space.

Edit : MarMan has a point, Partition Magic is not free so you might want to have a look at the tool he is suggesting first.
    Alex
    .NET developer
    "No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise." (Walter Kovacs/Rorschach)

Things to consider before posting.
    Don't forget to rate the posts if they helped and mark thread as resolved when they are.

.Net Regex Syntax (Scripting) | .Net Regex Language Element | .Net Regex Class | DateTime format | Framework 4.0: what's new
    My fresh new blog : writingthecode, even if I don't post much.

System: Intel i7 920, Kingston SSDNow V100 64gig, HDD WD Caviar Black 1TB, External WD "My Book" 500GB, XFX Radeon 4890 XT 1GB, 12 GBs Tri-Channel RAM, 1x27" and 1x23" LCDs, Windows 10 x64, ]VS2015, Framework 3.5 and 4.0

You can extend a volume using Win7 built-in Computer Management utility. Click on Start button > right-click on Computer > left-click on Manage. On the left pane, left-click on Disk Management under Storage category. On the right pane, right-click on the partition (volume) you want to extend and select "Extend Volume". Follow the wizard from there.
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Quote Originally Posted by stanav View Post
    You can extend a volume using Win7 built-in Computer Management utility. Click on Start button > right-click on Computer > left-click on Manage. On the left pane, left-click on Disk Management under Storage category. On the right pane, right-click on the partition (volume) you want to extend and select "Extend Volume". Follow the wizard from there.
    Exactly.
    Using the built-in disk manager might be the best solution.
    Windows operating systems from Vista and higher use a newer NTFS version.
    Older partitioning tools might for example break certain restore features.
    Delete it. They just clutter threads anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by stanav View Post
    Sorry for the late replay first of all.

Actually I tried that earlier, but I cannot extend Primary Partitions. That option is disable and gray in color. However I can extend logical drivers, but which is not really want me.

If I could through a in-built tool really cool. I like to take that way.

Could you post a screenshot of the disk management screen?

Yeah sure, here it is.

Hope you can see that the extend option is disabled...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Was afraid of that..
    That is not possible at all.
    One issue is that you can't extend into an Extended partition (darkgreen marked area).
    The other is that you can't jump over other partitions -- partitions are stored sequentially.

Well, "can't" might be overstated.
    You could move F, G, H and E to the right, decrease the size from the left of the extended partition, move D to the right and finally increase the C partition size.
    But this takes a huge amount of time and if the tiniest thing goes wrong you might lose a lot of data.

Personally I wouldn't do it.

Thanks for the comment.

Actually I don't want to risk this at all. Re-setup my PC is much safer than that.