Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So elder scrolls 5

Frenzied Member

So elder scrolls 5

yay, that is all.

Re: So elder scrolls 5

Damn, I have only played the elder scrolls 3! I didn't bother buying 4.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

I have only played TES4. I remember seeing TES3 when it came out...i was impressed, but i was not really into PC gaming then.

It was a really good thing that they have decided not to use the same engine as in TES4...it was horrible.
    Rate posts that helped you. I do not reply to PM's with coding questions.
    How to Get Your Questions Answered
    Current project: tunaOS
    Me on.. BitBucket, Google Code, Github (pretty empty)

i've played most of them . I've beaten 3 and 4.
    let's see, i believe there are actually 6 of them already. I believe the "5" of the newest release is actually referring to the engine they used to make it, as the two adventures games basically used the daggerfall engine.
    elder scrolls: Arena (paid $50!)
    elder scrolls2: Daggerfall (a free download from the website now!)
    elder scrolls adventures: redguard (great game, on sale for $10 when i bought it)
    elder scrolls adventures: battlespire (never played)
    Arena was frankly a little pathetic, but daggerfall is quite possibly the biggest rpg, land area-wise, of any game ever made, and the game is pretty good as well, although the graphics blow by today's standards.
    Redguard rocks. 'nuff said.
    morrowind is the only rpg i've ever played all the way through twice. And the add-ons tribunal and bloodmoon make it even better. I loved being a werewolf. It's also notable that you can fly in this one. In fact there are areas of the game you have to fly to reach. Nerfing a character was possible with potions since you could increase your intelligence with a potion, make a new potion and it would last longer and be stronger than the first potion, and eventually keeping up this cycle your int would be off the charts and you could make a strength or magic or whatever potion and it would last basically forever and be incredibly powerful.
    oblivion kicked up the physics but killed the flying. But i forgive them. It is however quite possible to quickly make a nerfed character. I had a character with a camouflage of 100%. I could sit there and beat npcs to death, and they wouldn't notice i was hitting them. Every hit was a critical hit. Made the mad-god seem a wuss.
    Even oblivion's graphics are becoming dated. I can't wait to see what tes5 has to offer. Rumors have it that they bring back flying, only this time on mounts like dragons (think of the connotation of the name "skyrim". rumors imply a floating city)
    Last edited by Lord Orwell; Dec 24th, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Frenzied Member

I wasn't aware that there was a flying city in Skyrim.

My money for the plot is on the MC being a reincarnation of Talos.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Damn, I have only played the elder scrolls 3! I didn't bother buying 4.
    You played Morrowind and didn't bother with Oblivion??!?!

That company can't seem to create stable games, which is the major drawback to both of those. I'd love to see a version without so many crashes.

Morrowind was horribly out of balance in its normal release. You pretty much had to mod out those flying rodents or spend all your time swatting at them like flies. The money was also out of whack, as you got items that you simply couldn't sell, since nobody had enough money and you couldn't type in a lower amount (had to use numeric updown controls, instead, so it could take literally hours to sell some of the better items, if you chose to sit for that long with your finger on the mouse button). Once you had enough money to enchant a cuirasse, though, you never needed anymore, since you would never actually spend any from that point on. My final gripe about that game was the fact that you could become invicible so easily. A couple health enchantments and the three toughest creatures in the game could beat on you forever without you ever getting injured.

Oblivion is awesome. I do miss the flying, and I miss the jumping. It was possible to create insane jump potions in Morrowind, which could be a total hoot. That's gone from Oblivion, but the game was much more balanced overall, and if you added something like the OOO Mod, it became a WAY cooler game.

I am looking forward to the next edition.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post

That company can't seem to create stable games, which is the major drawback to both of those. I'd love to see a version without so many crashes.
    Oblivion is awesome. I do miss the flying, and I miss the jumping. It was possible to create insane jump potions in Morrowind, which could be a total hoot. That's gone from Oblivion, but the game was much more balanced overall, and if you added something like the OOO Mod, it became a WAY cooler game.

I am looking forward to the next edition.
    i never had morrowind crash on me in the actual release. I am ashamed to say i torrented it originally, and loved it but that version was buggy as heck. I then bought it and my mom got me both add-ons for my birthday one year. I also bought a video card that came with it free as well. Annoyingly i broke a cd in the drive, and i lost the other one.
    Anyway... You didn't need to make a potion for an insane jump. Remember the "flying" scrolls that the dead mage had in the beginning of the game? it gave you an insane jump but wore off before you landed. You had to use a 2nd one to survive the landing.

I saw an account of a person who made a potion so that he could jump from shore to the top of one of those pyramid cities. However, when he actually tried the potion, the screen went white for a few seconds then he landed. After looking around, he realized that he had jumped clear across the entire city and had landed on shore on the far side of the bay. Kind of a useless jump, but pretty cool.

Yeah, I think it was I got bored of it after a while.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

So did I. Morrowind was unbalanced. Oblivion became the gold standard for that type of game....despite crashes, and once modded up with something like OOO, it became a game you could wander around in for a very long time.

Frenzied Member

Im ashamed to say I prefered the xbox version. I dont know why but I dont like to sit at the pc to play games.

So did I. Morrowind was unbalanced. Oblivion became the gold standard for that type of game....despite crashes, and once modded up with something like OOO, it became a game you could wander around in for a very long time.
    the only thing i didn't like about it was that the baddies leveled up with you. I would have been happier if there were zones of toughness ala new vegas. New vegas may have places that you won't ever be tough enough to survive in. The granite quarry full of death stalkers comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Orwell View Post
    the only thing i didn't like about it was that the baddies leveled up with you. I would have been happier if there were zones of toughness ala new vegas. New vegas may have places that you won't ever be tough enough to survive in. The granite quarry full of death stalkers comes to mind.
    Yeah, I remember one enemy I encounter in one of the expansion for Morrowind wore a suit of armour made from ebony. I can't remember if his weapon was made of the same stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Yeah, I remember one enemy I encounter in one of the expansion for Morrowind wore a suit of armour made from ebony. I can't remember if his weapon was made of the same stuff though.
    your character had to have incredible strength to wear it. The weight would max out your inventory if you could even carry it.

your character had to have incredible strength to wear it. The weight would max out your inventory if you could even carry it.
    Yeah, although I remember I managed to wear all the armour but it didn't leave me with much weight to spare.

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

I'm the world authority on Oblivion. That said I'm a purist, I only ever played the Xbox version and I did get ALL the DLC (apart from the comedy horse armour, which was an april fools joke).

I much prefer gaming on the XBox than the PC because it's so much more convenient. I play the games for the gameplay and not for the graphics - so a PC is no use to me for gaming. Oblivion is easily my favourite video game of all time and I can't see it being knocked off that top spot for a long time to come. I'm willing to wager that TES5 will not be an improvement.

I also like Fallout 3 for similar reasons to Oblivion but I'm not such a mega fan of F3. I tend to regard F3 as the "in spirit" sequel to Ob, because it's basically Ob with guns.

F3 has all the bugs of oblivion and all of the criticism too. Like the voice acting problems that Ob had - that's still there in F3. Also they ruined the "levelling system" in F3. Oblivion was quite logical about skill levelling (although it's implementation was flawed in some places)... if you use an axe a lot then you get good at using axes. Stands to reason.

F3's approach is ... use shotguns a lot and why not improve your (say) medical skill instead? Nonsensical.

You just KNOW that ES5 will use the nonsensical way because Bethesda don't know what they are doing and they never test their games in any case, and it will be £60 too. And the DLC will suck because that's the law.

GRRRRRRrrrrrr!!!
    I don't live here any more.

60 for the standard issue. Get a special kit with a bobble-head dragon or some such and it's 100

Frenzied Member

I'll have to disagree with you Wossy. The two levelling systems are exactly that, different. I would be appalled if they deviated too far from the TES levelling system. I have great faith in 5 but the "new engine" part worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanMc View Post
    I'll have to disagree with you Wossy. The two levelling systems are exactly that, different. I would be appalled if they deviated too far from the TES levelling system. I have great faith in 5 but the "new engine" part worries me.
    In what way does it worry you? I think it's the best thing that could've happened. I won't pay for another game where a simple thing such as jumping up onto a table will get me stuck and forcing me to load a much older saved game etc etc.

the only thing i didn't like about it was that the baddies leveled up with you.
    That was fixed in OOO Oblivion. You could meet anything at any level, and they tended to stay that way. Made the game FAR more difficult early on. If you went off the main roads you had no idea what you would be meeting, and even on the main roads you could meet things that were way above your level. At the start of one game, I just emerged from the sewer, and encountered a crashing bore! Once I ditched him, though, I encountered a wild boar, which was several levels above me, and was quite the fight...for which I got nothing but some meat.

On the plus side, if you had the dexterity to pick higher level locks, you could also get higher level loot. I ended up with some silver armor when I was at second level. Another aspect of that system was that, since the monsters were considerably more difficult, but lots of the NPCs still leveled with you, the soldiers had to ride in convoys or else they would get slaughtered.

Frenzied Member

What bothers me is how unstable this new engine would be given beths history with their "stable" one.

That was fixed in OOO Oblivion. You could meet anything at any level, and they tended to stay that way. Made the game FAR more difficult early on. If you went off the main roads you had no idea what you would be meeting, and even on the main roads you could meet things that were way above your level. At the start of one game, I just emerged from the sewer, and encountered a crashing bore! Once I ditched him, though, I encountered a wild boar, which was several levels above me, and was quite the fight...for which I got nothing but some meat.

On the plus side, if you had the dexterity to pick higher level locks, you could also get higher level loot. I ended up with some silver armor when I was at second level. Another aspect of that system was that, since the monsters were considerably more difficult, but lots of the NPCs still leveled with you, the soldiers had to ride in convoys or else they would get slaughtered.
    i saw a soldier get taken out by a pack of wolves in the unmodified version
    Quote Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
    In what way does it worry you? I think it's the best thing that could've happened. I won't pay for another game where a simple thing such as jumping up onto a table will get me stuck and forcing me to load a much older saved game etc etc.
    i only got stuck once in the entire game, and i used a console cheat teleport to save myself. The best thing they could have done was keep the "fix" command from tes3. If you were stuck on something it would move you a little to one side or the other and unstick you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWUS0-0tn4g

Released 11 Nov 2011 apparently. Great, so now I've got to wait nearly a year for my ultimate dissapointment.

i've been spending hours upon hours on dragon agerigins in the last few weeks, and it makes oblivion look stable. Whenever there is more than a few badguys on the screen, i hope i have a recent save.

Oblivion only ever crashes when it detects a talentless player. It has never crashed for me.

Ha, yes indeed.

well after shutting off all eye candy i was able to beat dragon age origins. On the 5th try because the first 4 without turning it off, the game would crash about 1/2 way through the fight. I even tried rolling back my driver first. It was some kind of back framebuffer thing. When it is turned on, the game is unstable. As for oblivion, i never and i mean never had it crash on vista 32. When i was playing it on my dual-boot 64 bit install, now that was a different story entirely. A guaranteed crash within 5 minutes and sometimes as soon as 30 seconds.

Interesting note: You can play oblivion on a netbook. You can manually edit the ini file to set the screen resolution at something pathetically low, and it looks a little pixelated but plays fine otherwise. For testing purposed i set it at 512x384 (if i remember correctly) and it loaded at that resolution but you can't ever load the settings screen from in game again. It will most likely crash if you do, and if it doesn't it resets the graphics to 800x600.
    Last edited by Lord Orwell; Jan 2nd, 2011 at 11:20 AM.

Hyperactive Member Arrow_Raider's Avatar

I don't like how when I am playing TOS games, it feels like I am playing with an engine rather than a game. The engine is so awkward and clunky, it ruins the experience for me. Also, the main story in oblivion was mediocre at best. I never finished morrowind, but it seemed to have a much better story.
    My monkey wearing the fedora points and laughs at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow_Raider View Post
    I don't like how when I am playing TOS games, it feels like I am playing with an engine rather than a game. The engine is so awkward and clunky, it ruins the experience for me. Also, the main story in oblivion was mediocre at best. I never finished morrowind, but it seemed to have a much better story.
    i will say this: It seemed the ability to pick stuff up was never actually utilized in the game in any meaningful way whatsoever. Same with fallout 3. The only time i ever even tried to use it was "arranging" dead bodies pornographically. Other than that, useless.

Other than that, useless.
    That's like saying: "This spanner can tighten up bolts, but other than that, useless."

Didn't you ever notice the "Your dead-body arrangement skill increased." messages?

No, that one increased the Adult Entertainment skill. The max you could get was about an XXX increase/ per level, so few people focused on it. Had it provided a bonus to luck, then everybody would have done it, cause who doesn't want to get lucky?

My adoring fan was killed so many times by my axe.

At least Fallout 3 has an "Animal Friend" perk.

So the adoring fan just keeps coming back? I always found that kid to be totally creepy, so I took him up to CloudRuler Temple and left him there. Figured he'd get a good education, and at least he wouldn't be hanging out with a bunch of gladiators acting like a total freak.

Just 48 hours to 11-11-11 and this monster will be out in stores, finally!
    Last edited by jcis; Nov 8th, 2011 at 11:45 PM.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

Wossname introduced me to Oblivion.

I played for the graphics. When I heard of TES5 coming out, I immediately threw a large stack of cash at my computer and it upgraded itself.

^Nice system.

I'm five minutes or so off until my download of TES5 is finished, so I'm very excited. This will be the first of the series I've played. Wooohoo looks great.

I'm glad my lil iMac will be able to handle it. The Witcher 2 I had to play at 720p. (It's primarily a work machine, so... until I have enough saved up for my gaming rig it'll have to do.)

Have now played for about 6 hours. This is certainly the most stable game in the series, since I haven't crashed, yet. The graphics are awesome. Naturally, I have gone fishing several times. Catching fish is a bit too easy. I've tried that in real life, and it doesn't work so well. Standing at the top of a waterfall trying to catch salmon as the jump at you is kind of entertaining.

The leveling system appears to be the best they have created. There is neither obvious means or reason to cheat the system, and there doesn't really appear to be much reason to choose one race over another, other than preference.

Magic is a bit odd, though quite satisfying. Totally frying an opponent is pretty fun. The change in the controls from Oblivion took a bit of getting used to...and re-mapping. There is a bug in the re-mapping system, as I am still getting prompts for the keys that I mapped away from. Sometimes they pick up the change. I mapped space bar to activate things, and E to jump, the hints for those actions are right. However, I also mapped the weapon toggle to F rather than R, because R changes the view in both games. It was annoying that whenever I tried to use R to bring up my sword, I also switched to over the shoulder view. Therefore, I mapped the 'raise weapon' to F, where it was in Oblivion, but that meant that I had to map what F was used for to somewhere else (it's not very useful, so I moved it to H to get it out of the way of accidental impact). The system still shows the old use for F, and no use for H, so at times I am guessing which key to press.

But that's minor. So far, it's lived up to the billing.

This is definitely the best game in the series. Mine also has yet to crash whereas Morrowind and Oblivion were quite prone to crashing. The story is amazing, the quests are amazing, the graphics are amazing. Almost everything is just amazing, except the interface. The interface sucks. In the tab and ESC screens, using a mouse results in awkwardness and bugginess. Most menus are best navigated using WASD which is in itself awkward on a computer, but at least it isn't buggy then.

Im loving it sofar, but I have had about 5 crashes or so. It would, without any kind of warning, just shut down at an instant, leaving me with a blank stare on my windows desktop.
    No biggie though, they are forgiven.

I had only one crash in the first cave. Sometimes the game freezes for some seconds, specially when it's snowing, but this might be a problem with my computer.

I'm trying to stay out from the main story line and continue it later but it's really hard because i always want to know what will happen next, now i'm in the school of magic trying to stay there for a while.

Did anyone find any giant yet? I tried body combat several times with these guys but at least in this first levels it seems it's impossible, they send me to fly with a single hit lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast