Thread: HELP!!!!!! Tell me a good gaming monitor. :)

HELP!!!!!! Tell me a good gaming monitor. :)

I am looking for a 23/25" TFT / LCD with credentials for gaming. Mainly for first person shooter games.

Any recommendations?
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Re: HELP!!!!!! Tell me a good gaming monitor. :)

I don't think there are any special technical characteristics when it comes to gaming. But in general, good contrast ratio, resolution/pixel density...

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Why do you want one? You have no discernible hand-eye coordination? It's like a Parkinson's sufferer buying a sniper rifle.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

TFT monitor for gaming.

But this thread sounds suspiciously suspicious. You don't game. Your idea of gaming is peering at the sun through your telescope. Perhaps you are trolling.

Have a look at the XL2370. It's LED not TFT. If you still want a TFT gaming monitor then see above post.

What's the difference between the two? I thought TFT was improved from LCD, or am I being extremely thick?

TFT is improved but not good enough for first person shooters. The response time you often see specified is a screen response time, doesn't indicate color change responses which is the important bit. I suppose it's not that important if you won't game a lot but you'll notice the ghosting after a while, especially when you move the mouse fast.

OK so a TFT isn't that bad but I did get to use the LOL guy. LOL guy is my favorite.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

I am a good gaming monitor.

I am fair, impartial and moderately difficult to bribe.

What game would you like me to monitor for you?

Forever alone guy is my favourite, but all of them are pretty damn funny.

/derailthread

You said Facebook...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think I meant LED or LCD
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by visualAd View Post
    I think I meant LED or LCD
    You think that is what you meant, but it sounds like you are not sure.

I know that feeling...

Yes I did mean LED. And technically I didn't say... that word.

As for gaming monitors, are you planning on hooking this up to just your PC or to your TV set-up too?

Yes.

i game on a 42" tv. As long as you set framerate locked to 60fps, it works wonderfully.
    As long as your system can take it, make sure you are gaming at the native resolution of the display, or you will notice blurring. You should definitely be able to get a 1080p monitor at that size of display, but really you may be able to get a bigger one for the same cost due to pixel density.
    However... If you can afford one, get a monitor with at least 120hz refresh rate. Not only will this cut down on eyestrain, it will be future-compatible with nvidia 3d.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Just buy a real rifle and then you won't need a monitor.

I got a 24" monitor with speakers. It works okay but I don't play games on it. Thanks for the suggestions.

2msec v 5msec for gaming.

On a side note, have a look at eyeFinity (3 monitors on one grfix card) too, I'm setting mine up in the new year, you get a wider area to 'spot' the enemy on most of the newer games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Fox View Post
    2msec v 5msec for gaming.

On a side note, have a look at eyeFinity (3 monitors on one grfix card) too, I'm setting mine up in the new year, you get a wider area to 'spot' the enemy on most of the newer games.
    keep in mind to read the fine print. You have to have at least one monitor support display port. Of course if you have one of the top of the line cards, they all have to support display port.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by wossname View Post
    Just buy a real rifle and then you won't need a monitor.
    depending on where he lives, i don't think he will last long that way, then i suggest the monitor is better

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Orwell View Post
    You have to have at least one monitor support display port.
    What you can do to avoid that, is to use a (passive) VGA-DP adapter. For DVI/HDMI it needs to be an 'active' adapter. I have just purchased a passive device for $13.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Fox View Post
    What you can do to avoid that, is to use a (passive) VGA-DP adapter. For DVI/HDMI it needs to be an 'active' adapter. I have just purchased a passive device for $13.

Regards,
    Straight from ati's website:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

MD Eyefinity technology is supported by graphics cards in the ATI Radeon™ HD 5400 series and higher. These cards can support up to six monitors (depending on the model), subject to the following restrictions:
    • A maximum of 2 legacy monitors (VGA, DVI or HDMI) can be enabled simultaneously, provided that each monitor is connected either directly or via a “passive” DisplayPort™ adapter/dongle. “Passive” adapters/dongles will NOT support more than 2 legacy monitors.
    To enable support for more than 2 monitors, “active” DisplayPort™ adapters/dongles are required (or monitors with direct DisplayPort™ connectivity must be used).
    if you just bought a passive adapter, you wasted your money. Plugging that adapter into the displayport will disable one of the dvi ports and the hdmi port. There is a very good reason for this. DVI, HDMI, and VGA all use a timing signal originating on the video card, and the card only has two generators. Displayport doesn't require this signal to be present.
    Last edited by Lord Orwell; Jan 1st, 2011 at 05:47 PM.

if you just bought a passive adapter, you wasted your money.
    Your right, there has been a few threads around what works and what doesn't, having said that there is a lot of contradiction. You can find examples of those who have successfully used passive VGA adapters too.
    In my case with my video card I hopeful I can use 2 x DVI and one (DP) VGA to achieve this.
    I will post back my results when I get back home and have things set up
    To be honest, I thought for $13 I'd give it a go - nothing too much to lose.

it depends on what you are connecting. You can use a passive adapter on the cards with multiple display ports as long as you don't have more than two passive adapters. Monitors three through six require active adapters. In any case if you have the 5xxx series cards with one display port, you can't use more than three monitors on it no matter how you hook it up even though it has four outputs.
    this posting explains it much better than i ever could.
    http://www.overclock.net/ati/721931-...ers-truth.html
    bas

Thanks for you feedback Lord Orwell, I do have a 5XXX card, I had done a fair bit of research on what others had found to work. It was those who used passive DVI (and HDMI) adapters that had the problems, these needed to be active as you no doubt know. However, it looks promising for passive VGA (to DispalyPort) adapters on the aforementioned cards.

Here is an example.

In any case I appreciate your comments, as you know doubt found there has been a lot of discussion since the release of eyeFinity. I was in the market for an expensive adapter, but now for $13 I figure I have nothing to lose. Now all i need to do is by two more 24" monitors If I had the money I would buy them DP ready.....

Hi Guys,

I can confirm (in my case) that I am successfully running 3 monitors in eyeFinity using a passive DispalyPort to VGA adapter.

Regards,
    Bruce.

Addicted Member

Off-topic: Facebook is a bad word? Oops, I just said it
    On-topic: This thread needs to be moved to "General PC." I will go ahead and PM a moderator.