Thread: SQL Query - Unique SELECT CONTAINS

SQL Query - Unique SELECT CONTAINS

Visual Studio Express 2010
    VB.NET
    SQL Server 2008

I am having difficulty creating a SQL query to retrieve records where the "Unique" condition is within a cell's value, not being the whole cell itself. To explain this further, I'll show an example of a few records (typed by hand due to font issues)-
    Code:
    "global_tolerance"     "composite_tolerance"
    di0.020ADMEM         di0.010A
    di0.020MADMEM       di0.010MA
    eo0.020ADMEM        N/A
    If I type a query that is something like...
    Code:
    "SELECT DISTINCT global_tolerance, composite_tolerance FROM panel_definition WHERE 
    (global_tolerance LIKE '%di%') AND (global_tolerance LIKE '%eo%')"
    ...then the above records are returned as three distinct rows, as the first and second records are slightly different. What I need some way of doing is to return the records with "di" in the "global_tolerance" column where the record is unique if the "0.020" portion and "0.010" portion are unique (or, in other words, the first and second records are not considered unique to each other).

Has anyone dealt with this before?

PowerPoster

Re: SQL Query - Unique SELECT CONTAINS

You can either return formatted/transformed representation of data or return the data as it is in the table.

Is the loss of information acceptable?

You can't return DISTINCT global_tolerance, composite_tolerance with the result you described... it will have to be DISTINCT part_of_global_tolerance_or_xx9.999_portion, part_of_composite_tolerance_or_xx9.999_portion. But please note absence of trailing alpha characters in DISTINCT result.

If loss of information is unacceptable then you will have to display/represent your data in another manner, e.g. master-detail relationship (or hierarchical query) rather than join result in just one datagrid.

Re: SQL Query - Unique SELECT CONTAINS

That is actually the best possible solution, because I don't need the "eo" or "di" or "ADMEM", I only need the "0.010" and the "0.020". The problem is, I could not track down the syntax to return such a thing. Another issue is that even if there is some syntax to remove the first X characters or last X characters, the substrings before and after "0.010" and "0.020" are never the same length.