Thread: Asp.Net Cross browser/Platform capability

Unhappy Asp.Net Cross browser/Platform capability

hi..
    Before writing code in asp.net.. how can i ensure about cross browser capability of any specific code line...

Re: Asp.Net Cross browser/Platform capability

Hey,

You don't write ASP.Net code, ASP.Net is the Platform with hosts your application. You will write your Server side code in either C# or VB.Net, and you will likely use JavaScript to code Client side.

Short answer is that there is no "easy" way to ensure compatibility. You simply need to test on all the browsers you want to target.

Gary

Super Moderator

Also the code you write in C# / VB is not browser specific. The browser specific code is the HTML/CSS and as mentioned above, JavaScript.

Test Test Test, Google IE Tester to run all IE browers on the same machine.

I wouldn't be to worried about browser compatability as all major browsers now conform to w3c standards. There are still differences in how different browsers render html but they are minor and if you know your HTML and CSS then you'll be able to make adjustments to work across all browsers.

The server renders your asp pages as html to the browser and this is standards complient.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by brin351 View Post
    I wouldn't be to worried about browser compatability as all major browsers now conform to w3c standards. There are still differences in how different browsers render html but they are minor and if you know your HTML and CSS then you'll be able to make adjustments to work across all browsers.

The server renders your asp pages as html to the browser and this is standards complient.
    Apart from the fact 50% of internet users dont use these modern browsers

hey
    what u think about validation tool
    http://validator.w3.org/

is any another alternate easy method to do this job..?

Quote Originally Posted by Pino View Post
    Apart from the fact 50% of internet users dont use these modern browsers
    Not sure about that 50% figure. Here is a screen shot of browser version stats for the past few days of a site I work on. The vast majority are new version browsers, personally I don't design around IE 5.5 or 6 just as long as the site works for downlevel browsers that good enough for me
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing the stats. Yea, I exaggerated a little but the point was that alot of people still use IE6 and 7

Its all about the user type really. I've just finished working with a local goverment, there site had over 40% IE6 figures, IE8 was only about 10%

I also have been involved with more technical sites and the ie6 useage is lower than 10%

Slightly off topic but based on your stats above you dont design for 1872 Visitors? Do you run the site through IE6 to make sure it works? Quite interested in what the site is.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mynameishide View Post
    Also read the text,

W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to use Internet Explorer, since it comes preinstalled with Windows. Most do not seek out other browsers.
    All stats to do with browsers on the web are useless, in all honesty you have to gather your own stats based on your userbase and then decide how to proceed

The stats I showed is for a specalised sales site in Australia, the general users are are not tech savy and 80% Aussie 20% rest of world. Yep Pino your spot on when you say you have to test the user base case by case as their machine specs can vary greatly with site/business type. I do cater for IE 6 and downlevel browsers but focus designing for current versions. I find to design for IE 5.5 etc you comprimise the standards to much so I'll have a downlevel template (master page etc) to hold the pages in shape and use it when those browsers are detected.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by brin351 View Post
    The stats I showed is for a specalised sales site in Australia, the general users are are not tech savy and 80% Aussie 20% rest of world. Yep Pino your spot on when you say you have to test the user base case by case as their machine specs can vary greatly with site/business type. I do cater for IE 6 and downlevel browsers but focus designing for current versions. I find to design for IE 5.5 etc you comprimise the standards to much so I'll have a downlevel template (master page etc) to hold the pages in shape and use it when those browsers are detected.
    I agree, some good points. To be honest IE5.5 is not somthing the companies I work with considor as through there stats its accounts for less than 1%

hey,
    the problems appear in the scripts, rendering the html objects.
    You Don't Have to Rate Me.
    I'm Not a Civilized Man I'm the Civilization it self
    White or Black, Living or Dieing and 0 or 1 that's MY life
    iam an Object in Object Oriented Life
    my blog : http://refateid.blogspot.com/
    twitter :@avrail