Thread: New idea of soccer

Hybrid View

Hyperactive Member capsulecorpjx's Avatar

New idea of soccer

I don't watch Soccer because of the 1-0 games.

So how about a new flavor or soccer?

One where there is no goalie, or at least the goalie can't use his hands or arms.

Then scoring will be much more often, averaging maybe 15 to 30 points per game per team.
    "I like to run on treadmills, because at least I know I'm getting nowhere."
    - Me

Re: New idea of soccer

I like your idea but the chances of changing things in a way like that is pretty small. All the professional goalies who've made a name for themselves as goalies would obviously oppose the idea. You could also apply the same idea to ice hockey. Again all the great goalies in hockey would hate the idea.

In baseball there are ideas you could try so that there would be more scoring but it would be unlikely that such changes would be made. What if you eliminated the shortstop or only had 2 outfielders or 4 strikes were necessary for an out. Pitchers would hate that but batters would love it.
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

"Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

Hyperactive Member

The American pre-occupation with scoring
    http://www.scaryminds.com - Horror's last colonial outpost.

Hyperactive Member capsulecorpjx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiDexter View Post
    The American pre-occupation with scoring
    I actually like defense when I'm watching basketball and football.

But when soccer scores end up 1-0, it seems like luck got one team that goal, even though I know such a score means both teams are evenly matched.
    "I like to run on treadmills, because at least I know I'm getting nowhere."
    - Me

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

it seems like luck got one team that goal,
    That's occasionally (though not as often as you might think) true but its also part of the charm of football (n.b. NOT Soccer!). Over the course of a season the luck element get's ironed out in the league anyway but it makes knock out tournaments like the FA Cup Magical because teams like Yeovil town can, occasionaly, reach the final.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    ...but it makes knock out tournaments like the FA Cup Magical because teams like Yeovil town can, occasionaly, reach the final.
    Or Ross County can reach the final of the Scottish Cup by giving Celtic a good tonking in the semi.
    Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.

www.mangojacks.com

Or Ross County can reach the final of the Scottish Cup by giving Celtic a good tonking in the semi.
    It's great when you take down the big boys isn't it?

Personally I'm a scummer but Saints wouldn't have made a good example because we were Premiership until a few years ago (and will be again, damnit). Yeovil is my Dad's team because he was evacuated there in WW2.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

I think there would be WAY more goals than that, and it would completely destroy the game. Scoring is supposed to be difficult. Without a goalkeeper, people will score 90% of their shots... What is the fun of that?

Any professional player should be able to hit the goal from around the mid field without much problems, so people would just be shooting at goal as soon as they got the ball.

Your idea would only work (more or less) if you aren't allowed to shoot to score, but have to walk the ball over the line (much like american football, right?). But then it's just a completely different game.

There was an attempt to revamp the sport to make it more appealing to Americans. Remember indoor soccer? It was played on hockey rinks with a plastic turf surface instead of ice. They even had two and three point goals depending on the distance of the shot. Goals were much more frequent than the outdoor game, and it was not uncommon to have final scores in the 20s and 30s.

It never caught on, and the first two incarnations of the Major Indoor Soccer League (1978-92, 2001-08) failed. The third MISL is currently struggling along with five teams but its future is not looking good.

Lively Member

i thought indoor soccer was pretty cool but it was just a little too small i think. They should make the field a little smaller and play 8 on 8 or something like that. the indoor 5 vs 5 was cool with all the board and everything but i think it was just a little too small. we had a team called the buffalo blizzards and they played where the sabres played but i dont remember how popular it was. i remember going to a couple games tho, even tho i really dont like soccer.

Pro Beach Hockey was a sport i wish would have caught on more. Anyone remember that? Outdoor roller hockey played on a rink in cali somewhere and it had ramps on each end of the rink. it was pretty awesome. they played for like 2 or 3 summers in a row and then stopped.

What about 22 balls in the game?

22 is too few you need more like 40 or 50. I think if there are 4 to 5 balls for every player on the field then it will start to get interesting.
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

"Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

Hyperactive Member BadgerBadger's Avatar

I would like some kind of soccer that isn't televised.
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

£119m in debt, I hear. You've got to make a concerted effort to get that far into the red, surely? I'm fairly sure that if I asked for a credit card with a £119m limit, they'd say no.

I reckon they should call Ocean Finance.
    Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.

www.mangojacks.com

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

They could replace the fans with a less violent bunch.

£119m in debt, I hear. You've got to make a concerted effort to get that far into the red, surely? I'm fairly sure that if I asked for a credit card with a £119m limit, they'd say no.
    The realy funny thing is that they published the creditor list in the local papers last week. It includes items like "Greggs the bakers - £4"

Actually, I feel quite sorry for the Pompey fans (I enjoy into the banter between the teams but can't buy into the genuine animosity that some fans have). They've had a couple of years of feeling really good but a sequence of bad managers and greedy owners who just took all the money out have meant that they probably won't exist at all next year. FA Cup final though - so at least they're going out on a bang.