Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I feel old at 29. =(

Re: I feel old at 29. =(

I must be old my 14 year old daughter says I'm ancient
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

I feel old because I used to program in a very old programming language called VB6

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Quote Originally Posted by akhileshbc View Post
    I feel old because I used to program in a very old programming language called VB6
    I'm only 26 and I programed using VB6 too ! I'M NOT OLD ! LALALALALALA ! (with my hand covering my ears)
    Alex
    .NET developer
    "No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise." (Walter Kovacs/Rorschach)

Things to consider before posting.
    Don't forget to rate the posts if they helped and mark thread as resolved when they are.

.Net Regex Syntax (Scripting) | .Net Regex Language Element | .Net Regex Class | DateTime format | Framework 4.0: what's new
    My fresh new blog : writingthecode, even if I don't post much.

System: Intel i7 920, Kingston SSDNow V100 64gig, HDD WD Caviar Black 1TB, External WD "My Book" 500GB, XFX Radeon 4890 XT 1GB, 12 GBs Tri-Channel RAM, 1x27" and 1x23" LCDs, Windows 10 x64, ]VS2015, Framework 3.5 and 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by stlaural View Post
    I'm only 26 and I programed using VB6 too ! I'M NOT OLD ! LALALALALALA ! (with my hand covering my ears)
    LMAO, so much win in that post.. if only chit chat could allow ratings.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

I think others are using the latest versions of VB like VB.Net (2008, 2010, etc..). That's why they don't have that feeling...

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    LMAO, so much win in that post.. if only chit chat could allow ratings.
    Yeah, there should be a rating for originality

I think others are using the latest versions of VB like VB.Net (2008, 2010, etc..). That's why they don't have that feeling...
    I do use VB.Net and C# with VS 2008 and 2010 (beta) but I used VB6 in the past. But yeah I guess that a lot of the guys around my age started with .Net.
    Alex
    .NET developer
    "No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise." (Walter Kovacs/Rorschach)

Things to consider before posting.
    Don't forget to rate the posts if they helped and mark thread as resolved when they are.

.Net Regex Syntax (Scripting) | .Net Regex Language Element | .Net Regex Class | DateTime format | Framework 4.0: what's new
    My fresh new blog : writingthecode, even if I don't post much.

System: Intel i7 920, Kingston SSDNow V100 64gig, HDD WD Caviar Black 1TB, External WD "My Book" 500GB, XFX Radeon 4890 XT 1GB, 12 GBs Tri-Channel RAM, 1x27" and 1x23" LCDs, Windows 10 x64, ]VS2015, Framework 3.5 and 4.0

I do use VB.Net and C# with VS 2008 and 2010 (beta) but I used VB6 in the past. But yeah I guess that a lot of the guys around my age started with .Net.
    Seeing as I'm 25 (I turn 26 in 5 weeks) and I started with QBasic (I also learned Basic, AppleBasic and CommodorBasic) then I went to VB3 then VB6 then .Net 2003, I guess I'm not in the norm for "guys our age", especially if "guys our age" start with .Net

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Really? THAT is your criteria? What if I mentioned I've worked with VB4.... and before that VB3? Heck, I remember there was a time BEFORE VB... back then it was just B. :P
    I cut my teeth on Apple BASIC, before moving on to PC & GW BASIC... then came Pascal, Assembler, then I started tinkering with dBase II ... eventually I learned C, then in the Air Force I was exposed to Ada, more Assembler, and even COBOL.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Really? THAT is your criteria? What if I mentioned I've worked with VB4.... and before that VB3? Heck, I remember there was a time BEFORE VB... back then it was just B. :P
    I cut my teeth on Apple BASIC, before moving on to PC & GW BASIC... then came Pascal, Assembler, then I started tinkering with dBase II ... eventually I learned C, then in the Air Force I was exposed to Ada, more Assembler, and even COBOL.

-tg
    May I know the specifications of your memory and the processor that you have in your head ?
    Really great knowledge...

I started with QBasic and GW-Basic. There was a time, when we had to queue up for a computer, since each of us could not have a separate computer in school.

You got only 10 minutes and in that 10 minutes you had to finish writing your code.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

640k (Bill Gates said it himself, that's more than anyone will ever need) and x8086... 4.77MHz

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

640k (Bill Gates said it himself, that's more than anyone will ever need) and x8086... 4.77MHz

-tg
    I think I have 128 bytes of memory and 500Hz processor...!

so you are malayaili ????
    How did you reach this conclusion?
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'

-tg
    He wrote in "The Road Ahead", it was falsely attributed to him.

Quote Originally Posted by abhijit View Post
    How did you reach this conclusion?
    Because you posted in malayalam...!

Because you posted in malayalam...!
    And you're posting in English.

And you're posting in English.
    In malayalam: http://www.vbforums.com/showpost.php...6&postcount=39

I'm 31 currently and feel 61 - I suppose it depends on what work you do and how much stress you have!!! BTW, I'm almost complety grey, luckily not bald The greyness is in the genes. I am dead serious!

Being grey and so "young" isn't good especially when people 2 years younger than you calls you "UNCLE"!!
    VB.NET MVP 2008 - Present

Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT View Post
    I'm 31 currently and feel 61 - I suppose it depends on what work you do and how much stress you have!!! BTW, I'm almost complety grey, luckily not bald The greyness is in the genes. I am dead serious!

Being grey and so "young" isn't good especially when people 2 years younger than you calls you "UNCLE"!!
    Your hair ?
    It is because you are always exhausting your brain by thinking a lot..!
    Try to cool the brain and get more sleep...

Yip, my hair.

Sleeping, hmm, I think I last slept back in December LOL!
    VB.NET MVP 2008 - Present

Age is ageism at it's worst.

Frenzied Member

Lá breithe mhaith agat!
    Go raibh maith agat!

I have been in hiding the last few days so only seen it now!

annaalum parayoo thaangalku malayalam ariyumoo? keralathilano janichathu ?
    Ayale njaan kuracchu divasam mumbu statuevile beverages corporationte mumbil Q nilkkunnathu kandu. Mikkavarum malayali akanaa vazhi.
    Yo soy yo y mi circunstancia - José Ortega y Gasset
    Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Sahir View Post
    Ayale njaan kuracchu divasam mumbu statuevile beverages corporationte mumbil Q nilkkunnathu kandu. Mikkavarum malayali akanaa vazhi.
    hahaha...

namaskaaram.. anthu undu vishaasham? swantha sthalam avidayaa?

namaskaaram.. anthu undu vishaasham? swantha sthalam avidayaa?
    Hallo. Mir geht es gut. Danke. Ich bin aus Indien.
    Yo soy yo y mi circunstancia - José Ortega y Gasset
    Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Sahir View Post
    Sorry, I am not good in Hindi !

-tg
    When I was a senior in high school I learned FORTRAN and a couple years later I did some programming on a TRS-80 in BASIC. I pretty much left programming alone until mid 2005 when I started to learn Visual Basic.NET 2003. That gives my age away to a certain degree. If someone asks me my age I don't tell them but I'm no teenager.
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

"Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

Quote Originally Posted by EntityX View Post
    When I was a senior in high school I learned FORTRAN and a couple years later I did some programming on a TRS-80 in BASIC. I pretty much left programming alone until mid 2005 when I started to learn Visual Basic.NET 2003. That gives my age away to a certain degree. If someone asks me my age I don't tell them but I'm no teenager.
    What's your age?

My body is exactly 10 years older than it was a decade ago.
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

"Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

Frenzied Member MaximilianMayrhofer's Avatar

Remember though, as you age, that the whole of your experiences is the sum of its parts.

If you have VB6, try the below code:
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Command1_Click()  '~~~ On clicking the button
      '~~~ Variables
      Dim strName As String
      Dim num As Long, i As Long
      Dim seed As Integer

strName = "EntityX" '~~~ Name
      num = 0
      For i = 1 To Len(strName)
        num = num + Asc(Mid(strName, 1, 1))
      Next i

Randomize
      seed = RandomInteger(8, 16)

MsgBox "Your age is: " & CStr(num \ seed) '~~~~ Displaying age
    End Sub

'~~~~ Function to generate Random Number
    Private Function RandomInteger(Lowerbound As Integer, Upperbound As Integer) As Integer
      RandomInteger = Int((Upperbound - Lowerbound + 1) * Rnd + Lowerbound)
    End Function
    You will find EntityX's age

Quote Originally Posted by visualAd View Post
    I feel younger than I will next week. Go figure
    So you feel old now?
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sahir
    Sorry, I am not good in Hindi !
    That's German ! Not Hindi !!
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    That's German ! Not Hindi !!
    Oh! Sorry for the misunderstanding...

I feel awkward here.. Dads and grandpas... Thats cuz maybe Im just 18 Years old...
    Maybe I should just stay in school...
    DoEvents

Going 40 this year, I am really getting old!
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

PowerPoster

You haven't aged a bit, 40 is the new 29.

I turned 50 last year and it didn't necessarily make me feel old but it made me aware that I'm almost certainly in the second half of my life and all that entails.

Am also stepping into the 30's and yet to find my better half!
    You know typical Indian(South) arranged marriage stuff, where we have to make sure both our horoscopes should match. Otherwise bad omen will happen!

I just turned 30 years old, did not feel old but the time passed made me feel regretful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast