Thread: system error &H8000FFFF

system error &H8000FFFF

Whenever I try to save my Macro in Excel I get this error.
    Office isn't very helpful, it told me to update windows which didn't fix it.

Google shows a lot of other people with the same problem, but all the responses they get are standard suggestions like updating windows, checking the help files etc.
    Yahoo answers even suggested updating Acrobat in case the error is caused by trying to save a PDF.

The only ellucidation I could find from Google is someone who saw the error from a Powerpoint macro, he deleted an unused UserForm from the project then it let him save the file.

My macro/workspace/workbook or whatever it's called only has one userform so that won't work for me.
    But it implies there's something in the GUI of that userform that's causing the problem- does anyone know what it is?

Does anyone know anything about this error?
    Please help me.

Re: system error &H8000FFFF

I'll answer some of the questions other people on the web have asked:
    No there are no plug-ins installed.
    No I haven't changed any settings recently.
    No there aren't any other macros running (I haven't even run the offending macro in weeks, just edited it)

All it is is a single Userform that doesn't even have any code yet, just the GUI controls.
    A couple of TabControls, Panels, Buttons, Labels and Radiobuttons.
    No databases, no hyperlinks, no binding of controls, nothing fancy.
    Just GUI.
    Why is it breaking?

PowerPoster

try exporting the userform to a file
    importing the file into a new workbook
    editing and saving the new workbook

if this works, you have the option of deleting the userform from your workbook, then importing it again, if it will not save then it must be some fault in the workbook itself
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Nope, no joy.
    Same exact problem when I reimport the userform.

I made a new workbook macro and built a simple userform, that one saves fine.
    So it's not a problem with Excel/Office itself.

PowerPoster

there must be some error in the userform, try creating a similar one
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

pete

Discovering Life Siddharth Rout's Avatar

Can I see a snapshot of the error....
    A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved

MyGear:
    ★ CPU ★ Ryzen 5 5800X
    ★ GPU ★ NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 TI Founder Edition
    ★ RAM ★ G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3600MHz
    ★ MB ★ ASUS TUF GAMING X570 (WI-FI) ATX Gaming
    ★ Storage ★ SSD SB-ROCKET-1TB + SEAGATE 2TB Barracuda IHD
    ★ Cooling ★ NOCTUA NH-D15 CHROMAX BLACK 140mm + 10 of Noctua NF-F12 PWM
    ★ PSU ★ ANTEC HCG-1000-EXTREME 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU
    ★ Case ★ LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC XL ROG (BLACK) (G99.O11DXL-X)
    ★ Monitor ★ LG Ultragear 27" 240Hz Gaming Monitor
    ★ Keyboard ★ TVS Electronics Gold Keyboard
    ★ Mouse ★ Logitech G502 Hero

I solved it.
    Not the most glamorous solution,
    I used Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C to copy all the GUI controls in one go then pasted it into a new Userform and saved that.

I guess the Excel save file was corrupted somehow, the contents were fine but the save file was damaged- copying the contents elsewhere solved the problem.

FFS, it's back!

Even though it's a new file it's happening again.
    So either the GUI layout itself is causing it or Office/Windows is damaged.

Hyperactive Member

I have the same problem. I am running on multiple computer systems at work, the exact same computers (model and all), corporate controlled updates, and on 1 (of the 5 that I work with) I have no problems with. However, on the other 4, whenever I try to get any userform to load on workbook_open() I get the same "catastrophic failure" message. When you click "OK" it then gives me a runtime error of '361' failure to load object. When I end this, go back into the spreadsheet and run a macro to open the userform it works great. It's almost like the userform is not loading right away, and the code is being ran before it can recognize the userform.
    I have even tried changing the userform.show to the worksheet_initialize() sub, and in the workbook_open() code I swapped sheets, and activated the worksheet that had the code to open the userform, but it still had the same error.
    I have tried getting the userform to open when the work book opens now on 4 different spreadsheets. I have completely started from scratch on the last 3, and I have gotten the same results.
    I am still new to programming, but I was thinking about trying to make a delay timer on the Workbook_Open() to give it a few seconds to load before I try to have it automatically show the userform.

Quote Originally Posted by nO_OnE View Post
    I have the same problem.
    Could you please provide us with a screen shot of the error? Could you please post the code you are using as well.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Hyperactive Member

The first one is the "Catastrophic Failure." I didn't capture it, but after I clicked Ok it gave me a "361" object not found runtime error.
    Name:  catastrophic failure.JPG
Views: 34213
Size:  11.8 KB

This second screen shot just occured, and it's the first time I have seen this.
    Name:  errors.JPG
Views: 33385
Size:  19.8 KB

This third one is also pretty common.
    Name:  error.JPG
Views: 33327
Size:  46.9 KB

Code:
    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
        ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Unit 1").Activate
        Range("F4").Select
        ActiveCell.Formula = "=TODAY()+1"
        UserForm1.Show

End Sub

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
        OptionButton1 = True
    End Sub
    Now, if I take the "UserForm1.Show" out oof the Workbook_Open() sub, I can open the worksheet from this computer, and I have placed a button on the worksheet assigned to a macro:
    Code:
    Sub Rectangle1_Click()
        UserForm1.Show

End Sub
    Which will open the userform and everything will operate perfectly. It's just when I try to get the userform to open when the workbook opens I get all of these errors.

I have also tried on Workbook_Open() to add code to switch to a different worksheet, then back to a specific worksheet. Then from that worksheet under the initialize code add the "userform1.show" command, and it still comes up with the same errors.
    Code:
    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
        ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Unit 1").Activate
        Range("F4").Select
        ActiveCell.Formula = "=TODAY()+1"
        ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Control Operators").Activate

End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
        UserForm1.Show

End Sub

I can't tell what is supposed to be happening? I pasted your code into a new excel project and ran the macro and it displayed the user control without any error.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Hyperactive Member

I understand, it's weird. I can run it from my computer and my laptop at home without any problems, and even one of the other computers at work, but the other 4 computers that I work with are giving me all kinds of errors, and it only occurs when I try to setup the spreadsheet to open the userform automatically.

Its almost like it's trying to run the code before it completely loads the spreadsheet, so it doesn't see the userform.

I don't know...

Thanks for looking at it Nightwalker83! I guess it is a common anomaly, if you google the "system error &H8000FFFF" there's a lot of people with the problem. I haven't really seen any solution's for it.
    Last edited by nO_OnE; Oct 4th, 2010 at 02:53 AM. Reason: update

PowerPoster

Its almost like it's trying to run the code before it completely loads the spreadsheet, so it doesn't see the userform.
    something to try
    do not change sheets or show userform from workbook open, have then in some other sub that you call with application.ontime from workbook open
    try a ontime of 20 seconds to start, you can vary if it works at all

pete

Hyperactive Member

It worked, I played with it for a bit, but even if I set it for 1 second it still works. So maybe that was the problem, that the code is being ran before the workbook is fully loaded.
    Code:
        Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("00:00:01"), "Rectangle1_Click"
    Thanks westconn1, I'll try it on the other computers later and let you know how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Simondrake View Post
    Whenever I try to save my Macro in Excel I get this error.
    Office isn't very helpful, it told me to update windows which didn't fix it.

Google shows a lot of other people with the same problem, but all the responses they get are standard suggestions like updating windows, checking the help files etc.
    Yahoo answers even suggested updating Acrobat in case the error is caused by trying to save a PDF.

The only ellucidation I could find from Google is someone who saw the error from a Powerpoint macro, he deleted an unused UserForm from the project then it let him save the file.

My macro/workspace/workbook or whatever it's called only has one userform so that won't work for me.
    But it implies there's something in the GUI of that userform that's causing the problem- does anyone know what it is?

Does anyone know anything about this error?
    Please help me.

There is a simple solution

there is no error in your code

The problem is related to the the references that are set using tools/references

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 8299
Size:  45.0 KB

Sometimes one of the references somehow stops being available, even though you did not change anything

What i did is , untick each refence one by one and retick them again

Then click ok to exit

You only need to do this on the computer that has the problem

Everything should now run as normal

Please let me know if it works for you

This thread is 11 years old... I doubt they will answer
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)