Thread: iPhone and iPod touch

iPhone and iPod touch

Both look the same, but for the life of me I can never imagine myself with an iPhone but I can't say the same for the iPod touch (3g)...

Why is that?

(Note please that I don't have both.)

Re: iPhone and iPod touch

the main diff between the two is one is a phone, the other isn't. Other than that, they are supposed to be basically exactly the same. the iPod Touch is for those that already have a cell phone that they aren't going to give up (for what ever reason).

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

"for whatever reason" usually amounts to (in the US anyway) the fact that AT&T is the WORST cell service, despite their endless run of ads claiming how they have the most coverage and best service. Apple made a big mistake going exclusive with them as a carrier, because all those iphones have pretty much brought their network to its knees. Now there is talk of bandwidth surcharges to try to get people to use their data plans less. (not to mention the AVERAGE bill from an iphone customer per month is 95 dollars, more than most people spend on various other utilities)

Anyway, back to the question at hand, which relates to my above rant, is that a phone is a phone, and a music player is a music player, and as nice as the iphone is from a UI standpoint, I still don't believe in the unification between phones and music players. Not yet anyway. My phones battery is way to important (and crappy) to be using it up listening to music.

The biggest downside to the iPod touch is that it does have a decent web browser, but you only get WiFi of course, since no phone for a data plan.

You'll find that the music playing on the iPhone uses up almost no battery whatsoever. it still lasts several days.

What uses the battery is leaving wifi switched on so that it's constantly searching for a signal. That, and things which involve having the screen on a lot, like playing games.
    I use VB 6, VB.Net 2003 and Office 2010

Code:
    Excel Graphing | Excel Timer | Excel Tips and Tricks | Add controls in Office | Data tables in Excel | Gaussian random number distribution (VB6/VBA,VB.Net) | Coordinates, Vectors and 3D volumes

What really saves a lot of power is not having either an iPhone or an iPod. I never have any battery issue at all with either of those because I don't have one. The thing you don't have is the thing that never gives you any problems.
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

"Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

Being a Microsoft fanboy, I own a zune and a Windows Mobile phone

Although in my defense, the zune was a gift, and prior to that I did own an ipod 30GB (the color screen, but no video capabilities generation)

Frenzied Member

What really saves a lot of power is not having either an iPhone or an iPod.
    Or a computer, or internet service...

I have an iPhone because my employer subsidizes it. If that weren't the case, I'd probably have gotten an iPod Touch for myself. I dislike Apple's computers and its general "I'm special because I paid through the nose" mentality, but I've been quite pleased with the iPhone. Maybe it's got to do with location, but I haven't had it too bad with AT&T's network either; I was previously on Sprint and it was FAR worse.

Hyperactive Member BadgerBadger's Avatar

As someone without a mobile phone or a portable music player, is it worth saving money for an iPhone, or just getting an iPod Touch once I can afford it?

I currently have no money and want both.
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

well the ipod touch is a buy it and you are done sort of investment. The iPhone will put you on a monthly bill cycle. Not sure how it is over there, but here data plans are mandatory with smart phones (from the major carriers at least) so when you get an iPhone you are looking at at least 30 dollars for data, plus whatever your actual phone plan costs.

depends... you want the phone part or not? If you want the phone part... then hold out for the iPhone.... if you don't care about having the phone bit... get the iTouch. But be warned... once you get the iTouch, you may find that you also want the phone part too.... so take your pick.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Thanks for the info, guys.

I completely forgot the iPhone is a contract thing. I would like that "phone" feature, but I think monthly pay evens out with the iPod's lack of a phone.
    I think the iPhone has slightly won me over, though.

Frenzied Member

You also might want to wait until next year when AT&T's exclusivity deal with the iPhone runs out. Other carriers might offer better deals.

Well if BadgerBadger lives in Wales like his profile says, AT&T is not a concern for him and I don't think apple went exclusive in all parts of the world, just here in the US. So some people do get to use the device and have a choice in carriers unlike here.

I have verizon wireless service, but its the same deal.. phone plan + data plan

Yeah, I was just trying to find out what providers are available in the UK for the iPhone. I think it's either O2 or Orange, but I could be wrong. I'm not the best when it comes to phones and providers.

How does it access the internet, anyway?
    Is there an extra charge or anything?

If I do get one, I don't think it will be for at least another month or so. I currently don't have a constant flow of money coming in.

Again, I can only speak for service over here, but the "data plan" is what gives you internet access. It usually comes in different flavors too.

For example with my carrier you pay

$30 - basic unlimited data plan
    $45 - same as above but allows push email (ie sync with exchange server, etc..) and wireless activesync
    $60 - same as above 2 plans, but adds tethering (use your phone as an internet provider on your laptop, etc..)

those data plans are JUST for internet/email (aka "data") access. It is also mandatory to have at least the 30 dollar plan.

Then you need your actual phone plan which is for actual phone usage. Sometimes they include txt/picture messaging, but often times these are extra charges as well.

Thanks for the info, kleinma.

The whole process seems more complicated than I expected. I'm sure the basic plan should be enough for me.
    You and others will most likely see me here again in the near future when I do plan on going in for a buy.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by kleinma View Post
    Well if BadgerBadger lives in Wales like his profile says, AT&T is not a concern for him
    Durr. Sorry, failure to read.

Lively Member

dont get an iphone. do yourself a favor and get a droid.

if my wife hadn't just locked us into another2 years with AT&T, I probably would have gone with Driod - despite the fact that my Verizon experience is what others experience with AT&T else where.

-tg

IMHO AT&T and Verizon are the top two worst cell carriers out there. Between the two, I'm not sure which is worse.

Here's what I love the most about my current cell phone: it's just a phone. I'll probably never own a smart phone and my sandisk mp3 player is all I need. I don't need a phone that can check emails, send text messages, browse the web, IM chat with people all while playing mp3's and I don't need an mp3 player that does all of that minus the phone calls either.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All Threads • Colors ComboBox • Fading & Gradient Form • MoveItemListBox/MoveItemListView • MultilineListBox • MenuButton • ToolStripCheckBox • Start with Windows

Lively Member

i got the droid on release and its the first smart phone i have owned. I dont think ill be able to go back a a regular phone again. The features greatly outweigh the cost, for me.

In my experience, verizon has far superior service in terms of call quality and availability, and that should only get better when they launch their 4G LTE network next year. The biggest downside to verizon is they nickel and dime the hell out of you.

AT&T people I know are lucky if they can make a call half the time (here anyway). I can also tell when someone is on an AT&T cell phone just by the tin can sound I get from them. I don't get that when talking to any other cell carrier user, or land line.

I have AT&T and i have service just about every where i go, which is fine with me.

I hardly leave Orange County, when i do its either to LA or Vegas. I get full 3g service just about every. I had 3g in the middle of the desert on the way to vegas. The only places i didnt get service is when i was in the middle of a mountain range.

Compared to my friends, i get service in classrooms when they dont.

well the ipod touch is a buy it and you are done sort of investment. The iPhone will put you on a monthly bill cycle. Not sure how it is over there, but here data plans are mandatory with smart phones (from the major carriers at least) so when you get an iPhone you are looking at at least 30 dollars for data, plus whatever your actual phone plan costs.
    I bought a used smart phone from a coworker, but can't use it on my plan. I have 4 lines and a smart phone requires a simply everything plan for family which means i would need data on all 4 lines, even though one line isn't even used. using this phone would raise my bill by $80 a month. I could get a whole new contract with another carrier less than that!
    Again, I can only speak for service over here, but the "data plan" is what gives you internet access. It usually comes in different flavors too.

For example with my carrier you pay

$30 - basic unlimited data plan
    $45 - same as above but allows push email (ie sync with exchange server, etc..) and wireless activesync
    $60 - same as above 2 plans, but adds tethering (use your phone as an internet provider on your laptop, etc..)

those data plans are JUST for internet/email (aka "data") access. It is also mandatory to have at least the 30 dollar plan.

Then you need your actual phone plan which is for actual phone usage. Sometimes they include txt/picture messaging, but often times these are extra charges as well.
    It is worth noting that every carrier, "unlimited" isnt' actually unlimited. Most are capped at 5gb a month.

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    IMHO AT&T and Verizon are the top two worst cell carriers out there. Between the two, I'm not sure which is worse.
    At&t has the best coverage for voice. 3g is another matter. I can't complain though. I have sprint and they have been promising my city will have 3g "in a month or two" for two years now. I don't live in a small town either. It's good enough to be listed in the at&t postcards commercial. About 300,000 people i think. Evansville, IN. Yet that doesn't stop them from selling the wifi dongles, etc. promising the fast speed. I see people returning them all the time.
    i have a "feature phone". It's not smart, but i can still do all those other things. I am not sure what the basis of the "charge more for smartphones" is, when the only real difference is they let you install apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    I have AT&T and i have service just about every where i go, which is fine with me.

I hardly leave Orange County, when i do its either to LA or Vegas. I get full 3g service just about every. I had 3g in the middle of the desert on the way to vegas. The only places i didnt get service is when i was in the middle of a mountain range.

Compared to my friends, i get service in classrooms when they dont.
    We have land in kentucky. I have sprint and my grandfather has at&t. He has full service and there is a 30 mile stretch where i am lucky i get a signal at all. But that's phone service, not data.
    Last edited by Lord Orwell; Dec 14th, 2009 at 08:33 PM.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

I've got an iPod touch and to be honest I wish I had got an iPhone... basically all of the good things that you can do on it require internet access and as there is no 3G connection or anything, the only way you can get an internet connection is to use Wireless. If I have to go and seek out a wireless hotspot each time I want to do something, I may as well just have taken a laptop with me and be able to do an awful lot more with it. Not to mention the fact that wireless kills the battery. I've got a Htc Touch Diamond 2 phone now so that does everything that the iPod Touch could do really, apart from its music playing isnt that great so I'm going to sell the iPod Touch and just buy a cheap-ish Mp3 player.
    My free .NET Windows API library (Version 2.2 Released 12/06/2011)

Blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com
    Web: www.cjwdev.co.uk

In my experience, verizon has far superior service in terms of call quality and availability, and that should only get better when they launch their 4G LTE network next year. The biggest downside to verizon is they nickel and dime the hell out of you.
    You must not be anywhere in Michigan or Ohio and if you are, you're one of the elite few lucky ones. Verizon is horrible here, just horrible. AT&T is equally as bad here too.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All Threads • Colors ComboBox • Fading & Gradient Form • MoveItemListBox/MoveItemListView • MultilineListBox • MenuButton • ToolStripCheckBox • Start with Windows

No I am in the New York metro area, which is one of the most populated areas in the US. That is why I am surprised that the cell carriers aren't all equally good here.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

I'm surprised Cander hasn't posted yet.

I didnt recognise you there with your santa hat and your long golden locks of hair... bring back the three eyed frog!
    My free .NET Windows API library (Version 2.2 Released 12/06/2011)

Blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com
    Web: www.cjwdev.co.uk

he could give her a third eye

Quote Originally Posted by mendhak View Post
    I'm surprised Cander hasn't posted yet.
    I have mellowed out in my old age.

And if anyone is even considering an iPhone, you might as well hold off for now. There will likely be a new one in 6 or 7 months, plus you will have the Google phone and possibly Windows Mobile 7 devices. Wait and see who puts out what is better for you.
    Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

Quote Originally Posted by Cander View Post
    possibly Windows Mobile 7 devices.
    A few months ago, I would have been gung-ho about that statement. Now, after having seen 6.5, I can only weep. WEEP!!!!!

A few months ago, I would have been gung-ho about that statement. Now, after having seen 6.5, I can only weep. WEEP!!!!!
    6.5 is the Windows ME of Windows Mobile.

But I have more faith in Microsoft ever since Windows 7. So maybe 7th time is the charm for them.
    Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

i don't know about that. I had major issues with 6.0. I returned my phone because of it and got a feature phone instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris128 View Post
    I've got an iPod touch and to be honest I wish I had got an iPhone... basically all of the good things that you can do on it require internet access and as there is no 3G connection or anything, the only way you can get an internet connection is to use Wireless. If I have to go and seek out a wireless hotspot each time I want to do something, I may as well just have taken a laptop with me and be able to do an awful lot more with it. Not to mention the fact that wireless kills the battery. I've got a Htc Touch Diamond 2 phone now so that does everything that the iPod Touch could do really, apart from its music playing isnt that great so I'm going to sell the iPod Touch and just buy a cheap-ish Mp3 player.
    yeah they have an app store for the touch and android, but the selection of apps is much, much smaller. There is less competition and reviewers have stated that similar apps cost nearly twice as much because of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cander View Post
    I have mellowed out in my old age.

And if anyone is even considering an iPhone, you might as well hold off for now. There will likely be a new one in 6 or 7 months, plus you will have the Google phone and possibly Windows Mobile 7 devices. Wait and see who puts out what is better for you.
    google will be selling the phone themselves, as it will be unlocked. Supposedly it will work with any carrier, but unlocked phones aren't subsidized, and it's expected to cost over $500. You can get a similar phone from the same manufacturer they are using (htc) now for $175. Then unlock it yourself so you can install what you want on it.

Which phone are you talking about ($175)?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Orwell View Post
    google will be selling the phone themselves, as it will be unlocked. Supposedly it will work with any carrier, but unlocked phones aren't subsidized, and it's expected to cost over $500.
    Yes and no... latest rumors (which have been flying today) have it that it will be GSM enabled... which means AT&T or T-Mobile...

more rumored info:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterso...6C6JN.RMM3MZA5

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterso...-availability/

I wouldn't mind having one.

-tg

Which phone are you talking about ($175)?
    there are two of them. One is the htc hero. I forget the other one, but it's got a full keyboard and touch screen!.

Anyway, i was watching something on hak5 last night about rooting the droid, and if that's possible, then an unlocked phone is unnecessary.