Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows 7 and VB6

Mars base one Username: Jim Davis Password: yCrm33

Re: Windows 7 and VB6

I've been tested this some months ago, i got good results. It is run on Windows 7 just like the same way it does run on Vista. The runtimes was attached to the early beta's, i assume they are still exists on the new RTM and released editions.

PowerPoster

Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows Vista, Windows 7
    The Visual Basic team is committed to “It Just Works” compatibility for Visual Basic 6.0 applications on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 including R2, and Windows 7.

The Visual Basic team’s goal is that Visual Basic 6.0 applications that run on Windows XP will also run on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7. The Visual Basic team is also committed to the Visual Basic 6.0 development environment running on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7. As detailed in this document, the core Visual Basic 6.0 runtime will be supported for the full lifetime of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7, which is five years of mainstream support followed by five years of extended support.
    We're good through 2019!

:fireworks:

Win7 wont allow you to install the service packs for the vs ide? Have you tried to do it by hand? It might need some registry hacks too. I would be interested in the results.

PowerPoster

I wonder if he tried installing the VB6 SP6 into Windows 7 64-bit?

This can be tricky for all 64-bit Windows versions, because there is a 16-bit bootstrapper in the package. I got it to install into Vista 64 by unpacking it on a 32-bit system first.

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] Windows 7 and VB6

Hmm, I wonder why not?

You know VS.Net does not come in a 64-bit version, right? It can generate 64-bit code but it is 32-bit itself and probably will continue to be for some time.

That could be true, because the compilers are not affected by the actual os. For example a compiler, that is a 32bit windows executable, able to compile binary for microcontrollers too, that you can run in emulators only on the same os/pc.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    That could be true...
    No, not could be. It is. Gosh, don't people keep up?

Visual Studio: Why is there no 64 bit version? (yet)

It's a good read, and gives lots of reasons why you shouldn't be moving your own programs to 64-bit yet as well.

Not true. However, me and a thousand other developers are having trouble deploying. I moved a Wise install script developed on an XP desktop for a VB6 application to XP, Vista, and Win7 desktops without incident, BUT the Win7 desktop was "out of the box" Windows 7 with no updates. As soon as the first Windows 7 update was made suddenly "it just works" turned into "it just doesn't work" and there are hundreds of posts on this issue. I firmly think my own issue is with an update to the ADO library/run time routines, but still haven't found a solution. My 2 cases are a VB6 front end and an Access databas, and a VB6 front end with a SQL Server database.