Thread: [RESOLVED] Visual Basic Native Code Compiler Source Code!!

Resolved [RESOLVED] Visual Basic Native Code Compiler Source Code!!

I am writing an update program. That has the following. The updater program is separate from the client software. Then there is a server software, that is remote from the client software. Then when it builds a list of your folders and files for the client software.

To do this: I have chosen to do the Build and Make statements, that make the v1.00 to v1.01 and so on. The updater checks the v1.00, for the client software, and then builds a list of your files inside the v1.00 EXE file. When that has done, then you download the newer files that are in the list of files and folders on the client software.

Finally I want the updater program, to use a native code compiler to make a build of the files and folders, that are found in the main EXE file.
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Hyperactive Member

Re: Visual Basic Native Code Compiler Source Code!!

well that is fine and well, but i usually look at the forums to see if i can fix a problem...where would yours be?

What is your question or issue?
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

How can I complie a VB6 project, in runtime if I have all of the items (Forms, etc) there.
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Quote Originally Posted by ThEiMp View Post
    How can I complie a VB6 project, in runtime if I have all of the items (Forms, etc) there.
    Usually you make your program dynamic to read an ini file or other config file which will also allow you to modify the file to change up the setup or ???

There is no way to compile a program without Visual Basic installed and licensed on a users system. VB itself is not redistributable.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

"Digital Revolution"

The closest thing would be making it highly-configurable with an INI file or something (as was already suggested) or maybe running VBScript code using the Microsoft Script Control, which has been discussed here a lot.

But as RobDogg said, you can't redistribute the VB6 compiler with your program.

I mean, you could, but not without breaking some serious copyright laws...

Well then is there any way to get it like a anti-virus scanner, using the update program. Or can I just update the exe and make several versions of it? But that would be stupid, wouldn't it?

"Digital Revolution"

Anti-viruses use a database, and usually just download and update the database file(s).

You can put a lot of your program's code inside an ActiveX DLL or ActiveX Control, and download new versions of those. This is how a lot of software works.

Could I use this code instead:

Code:
    Open "Hello.exe" For Random As #1
    Print #1, Blah_Blah
    Close #1

"Digital Revolution"

Quote Originally Posted by ThEiMp View Post
    Could I use this code instead:

Code:
    Open "Hello.exe" For Random As #1
    Print #1, Blah_Blah
    Close #1
    Not sure how you would use that...

If Hello.exe is the program you're updating, then yes, so long as it's not open.

That code, however, would corrupt the EXE file. You can write to the end of the EXE file like this:

vb Code:
    1. Private Sub Form_Load()
    3.     Dim intHandle As Integer
    5.     intHandle = FreeFile
    7.     Open "C:\Hello.exe" For Binary Access Write As intHandle
    8.         Put intHandle, LOF(intHandle) + 1, "Hello, world!"
    9.     Close intHandle
    11. End Sub

And that wouldn't corrupt it. Hello.exe could read from itself at runtime and read the data.

Not sure why you're asking about this, though. You could store settings in there or whatever, but it would be better to just use an INI file or something.

If you wanted to actually patch (update) Hello.exe, then you can overwrite bytes in it to make it equal to the newest version. This can be useful as sometimes it can be smaller than distributing an entirely new copy.

The server could compare the old version with the new version, and create a new file containing which bytes are different and their new values.

Then your program (Updater.exe or something) could download this patch file, and apply it to (Hello.exe?).

"Digital Revolution"

Just another thought...

You could have the server running on a computer with a copy of Visual Studio installed (which has the VB6 compiler).

The new project could be compiled on the server (legally) and could transfer the new compiled project EXE to the client(s).

You would need to run the compiler from a command prompt/Shell/ShellExecute() statement. I'm not exactly sure how it works since I've never compiled that way.

I'm still not sure exactly what you're trying to do, so a simple INI file might be the best option...

Yes, without a good reason, this still sounds fishy.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Sorry about the lack of information. I am NOT making something to ruin data or people. It is a simple update program, that I am going to have on the Internet soon. God willing!! Also instead of rewriting the whole EXE file, I just want to make some parts that have changed and then get them to be inside the main EXE file. But without making any drastic changes to malfunctions in the code or the other files or folder on the system.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiRev View Post
    Just another thought...

You could have the server running on a computer with a copy of Visual Studio installed (which has the VB6 compiler).

The new project could be compiled on the server (legally) and could transfer the new compiled project EXE to the client(s).
    Thanks for the help on this matter at hand. I am going to do that. But how do I go about doing that. (Just the pesudo code, thanks I can work out the rest using the Winsock control and the other connection code to do this work.)

Hyperactive Member

I am just as confused as everybody else but I'll give it a shot.

Are you trying to create an updater module that you can then sell to developers? They write their application and include your updater hence the changing parameters. You just dont want to have your source distributed all over the net otherwise you'll never get paid.
    Slower than a crippled Vista
    More buggy than a fresh XP install
    Look! Down the road, some 50 miles behind the drunken snail.
    It's Ubuntu!

"Digital Revolution"

Never made one myself, but something like:

Code:
    Store old version's data in byte array
    Store new version's data in byte array
    Determine which byte array is larger
    Loop from 0 to UBound(LargestArray)

If current byte of older version differs from byte of new version
    Append byte number and value to file (ie: 10:Value\) '10 = byte number (loop counter) 'Value = value of byte, bytData(LoopCounter)
    Edit: Maybe if I get some time I can write a working example.

"Digital Revolution"

Here's an example I whipped up really quick. Since I can't upload compiled files, you'll need to compile each one first.

1. Compile the project in \NewVersion folder
    2. Compile the project in the \OldVersion folder
    3. Compile the project in the \Patcher folder

Once they are compiled, then run the OldVersion and then the NewVersion, so you can see how they are different.

Then close them.

Now to create the patch file...

1. Open the vbPatcher.exe program
    2. Select OldVersion.exe for the old version
    3. Select NewVersion.exe for the new version
    4. Click the Create button to create a patch file

Once the patch file is created, then you can apply it. Select the Apply Patch option and load up the patch file and OldVersion.exe.

Apply the patch, and run OldVersion.exe. You'll see it is the same as NewVersion.

I put all the necessary code into a class module (Patcher.cls) that you can just add to your own project.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks that did the spot of trouble, that I was experiencing on my system. Thanks again, my fellow vb'ers!!