Thread: host forms in on-form web browser?

Lively Member

host forms in on-form web browser?

I've done simple preliminary research without success--I'm posting now simply because time is an issue. I wanted to see if I could use the on-form web browser to pull up forms not on the server or internet, but locally hosted in the solution. Based on what the user selects in a combo box, I need certain parameters (any 5 are relevant out of approx 100 total). I was hoping to do this without a button--pulling up a form with command button is a last resort. Is this possible?

Re: host forms in on-form web browser?

When you say you want to "pull up forms" what do you mean exactly? (and I do mean exactly - ie are you talking about forms in the traditional VB sense, in the sense of HTML pages, or specifically HTML forms on pages?)

Lively Member

I mean windows forms generated through vb.net...I don't know much about HTML forms (can they be hosted on a SQL server?) Whatever the form is, I would like it to be transportable, and therefore bundled with the other forms....but again, ideally windows forms generated through vb.net

Lively Member

I just thought of something: I can generate entries in textboxes to act as 'labels' for textboxes that act as data-entry controls, then, based on what the "label textbox" has been assigned, save the entry to the correct field in SQL. Though that is a lot of code. I'll do that if nothing else pans out.

Why would you want to display windows forms in a webbrowser?

As for hosting HTML on a SQL server - HTML files are basically text files, ie strings, so you can store them in an SQL server if you so wish.

Can you explain a bit more about your intentions as your suggested approach seems unusual.

Lively Member

One of my combo boxes selects from about 20 tools. Each of these tools runs different processes with different parameters. I want to customize a subform for each tool (and further customize the subform to the process performed on that tool--the difference is at most 2-3 parameters between different processes). When the user selects a tool from the combobox, I wanted to show a form in the browser window that is tool-specific--I wanted it to be on one form (instead of prompting the data on a separate form), so the person entering data could review everything they've typed in before they submit any of it. My issue with hosting forms on the server is that when the server is replaced, those forms which are vital to data entry are lost.

What I think I'll end up doing is have locked textboxes that display the name of the parameter with textboxes designed for data entry next to them. The 'inputter' won't know the difference and I won't have to display 100 textboxes. Based on what tool and process the user selects, the locked textboxes (acting as labels) will display the relevant parameter. When they save, I will lift the entered text off the 'non-label' textboxes and save the data to the appropriate parameters.

Its unusual, but it should work. And be pretty fast--VB doesn't read code if it doesn't meet the conditional, right?

Lively Member

I'd want to display windows forms in the web browser because its the only control available that's capable of hosting forms

Quote Originally Posted by theguyinthehat View Post
    I'd want to display windows forms in the web browser because its the only control available that's capable of hosting forms
    Web browsers aren't capable of hosting windows forms. I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding here I'm afraid.