Thread: Virtual Calls with Non-Virtual Methods

Virtual Calls with Non-Virtual Methods

I'm working on implementing an abstract class (intended to be inherited only) that contains a polling method for data integrity. The polling method will call an actor method as one of the initial statements to check for user changes to the class's members. However the behavior for the actor method can't be static (i.e. defined in the abstract class alone) because for each child class based on this abstract class, the behavior for this method won't be the same in about 90% of situations. The obvious answer here was to override the method for each child class.

However something struck me as I was thinking about this. The polling method will initially make a call to the virtual actor method to better adjust the data integrity. Now what I'm curious about is when the polling method makes the call to the virtual actor method, will it execute the actor method that was defined with the child class (i.e. the overridden actor method) or will it make a call to the actor method defined with the base class?
    Only those who try will become.

Find me on identi.ca

Twitter @gfmartin05

Linux Wrap

Re: Virtual Calls with Non-Virtual Methods

As far as I am aware, it will always call the overridden methods unless explicitly called from within your overridden method.

chem

Visual Studio 6, Visual Studio.NET 2005, MASM