Thread: [RESOLVED]How do I edit a Game's Code?

Banned

Resolved [RESOLVED]How do I edit a Game's Code?

Does anybody know how to write in a game? I mean like a trainer, like have your health increased every 20 seconds if you have been damaged. Please, no body say, "Oh, this is hard, you can't do it." or "This is not a walk in the park, you need practice." If you do not know, do not reply.
    Last edited by sn3akyr4bb1t; May 3rd, 2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: resolved

Re: How do I edit a Game's Code?

Quote Originally Posted by sn3akyr4bb1t View Post
    Does anybody know how to write in a game? I mean like a trainer, like have your health increased every 20 seconds if you have been damaged. Please, no body say, "Oh, this is hard, you can't do it." or "This is not a walk in the park, you need practice." If you do not know, do not reply.
    First off, you're being ignorant and this is no way to ask for help.

Secondly, the only way to achieve this is with backwards engineering or overriding of methods (assuming it is an offline game completely loaded onto your machine). If you plan to attempt this for an online game, it is typically not possible because everything is done on the server side. Occasionally you can intercept or send your own packets falsifying information to the server.

Long story short, it takes a lot of research and playing to get it right and it is not the same process for every game.

If you're referring to diablo-esque trainers, those typically just modified the save files on your machine.

Banned

Ok smitty, I have a game that saves it's campaign missions in a folder, are those ones I can hack? This game is Halo: PC, and does not have any security what so ever, microsoft totally forgot about Halo 1.

The campaign missions would most likely just save game-related data, not player related. If you want to change your player regen and stuff, you would need to override a method and backwards engineer the source code.

With that being said, going any further in depth would break the rules of the forum as it is against them to promote hacking.

Up until this point it could have been classified as curiousity, but since it now has a confirmed use, you probably wont find anyone willing to help around here.

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    The campaign missions would most likely just save game-related data, not player related. If you want to change your player regen and stuff, you would need to override a method and backwards engineer the source code.
    Yeah, it is likely that the save game file references another file used by the game to retrieve the health reg function in the save. Hence the health reg function is not stored in the actual save game but in a file that the game uses.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; May 4th, 2009 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Fixing spelling!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Banned

Thanks anyways everyone, please no one reply any more.

Re: [RESOLVED]How do I edit a Game's Code?

if you want to like boost your health look in the code for the specific number like you have 826 health look for the nuumber 826.
    I recommend you to learn it with space Flight Simulator. Its very easy since everything is named in the code like "Fuel Tank : 1, Capacity: 1.0(100%). I learned it this way.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post

With that being said, going any further in depth would break the rules of the forum as it is against them to promote hacking.

Up until this point it could have been classified as curiousity, but since it now has a confirmed use, you probably wont find anyone willing to help around here.
    I'd argue this is more like cheating, than actual hacking. Hacking is more malicious like breaking copy-protections, or cheating on an online game. Since he's just talking about how to modify the code in a 1-player game (this game's official public servers for multiplayer have long ago been taken offline by Microsoft), I think this isn't an actual rule violation.

So I'll post my answer here, in case he's still reading this thread. I'd highly recommend you use OllyDbg. It lets you reverse engineer all kinds of software, and I frequently use it for debugging my own code when I write assembly, C, or even VB6 software (especially when that software involves making Windows API calls or other DLL function calls). It certainly can also be used for illegal copy-protection cracking purposes (and there's tutorials elsewhere online about how to use it for that), but by itself it's just a tool, that can be used for good or bad things. It's not bad software in itself. So that's why I'm recommending it here.