Thread: Is WIN 2000 the sequel to WIN 98?

Hyperactive Member

HI,

I always thought that Windows 2000 was going to be the sequel to Windows 98 but a friend of mine says otherwise. He thinks that Windows 2000 is the sequel to Windows NT 4.0. Who is right here, me or my friend?

It is actually a sequel to win 98 and win nt. It has the nt kernel but windows 98 options and direct x etc...etc..etc...its both merged into one.

its mostly an NT system. Its not for the people who use win98 or win95 systems, its for NT users

Hyperactive Member

Are Microsoft going to create a sequel to win98?

No. Most likely not with a 9.x kernel. I think they are going the nt/2000 route. I could be wrong though.

One thing I know is windows 2000 will totally dis-able DOS access from windows.

------------------
    DiGiTaIErRoR
    VB, QBasic, Iptscrae, HTML
    Quote: There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Addicted Member

Windows 2k IS designed as the replacement for NT 4.0 systems. Although windows 2000 does have WinNT4 and Win9x features, it is NOT designed as a desktop solution. I've been testing it for over 4 months now, and I can personally recommend that if you are pretty comfortable with NT and 9x and you have a pretty powerfull computer, its worth the upgrade from either NT or 9x.

Philip

The version you must have is the BETA if you been working with it for over 4 months now. The BETA wasn't very good though with all the bugs.. hence the word BETA.. hehehe..

Windows 2000 is the Sequal to NT. Not 98. It's for servers and businesses only. It also uses the NTFS Format of the Hard Drive where as 98 uses FAT.

Win 98 2nd Edition is Win2000 for the home users. It uses the FAT table and you don't need to do anything with your system.

For more info on it, read about it at the MS site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...path/win9x.asp

------------------
    John T. Mieske
    Star Trek LCARS programmer

Knight Vision Enterprises
    kvision@gate.net

[This message has been edited by Knight_Vision (edited 01-29-2000).]

Windows 2000 is basically the sequel to Windows NT 4.0. There will be a Windows 98 sequel comming out in the middle of this year codenamed "Millenium". But otherwise, Windows 2000 is for business use but has some Windows 98 features such as a FAT32 file system instead of the NTFS file system.

------------------
    Sergio
    qbano5@aol.com

PowerPoster

So to sumerise and simplify all these points: Win2000 is a merge of the security robustness, filing system of NT, but the easy of use of Win95/98 (e.g. Plug and Play)

After 98 Millenium, there will no further OS based on the 95/98 kernel. Instead MS are planing to (and as far as I am aware already have) make a Win2000 for Home users (a basic version if you like). That way, they have one product (ie. Win2000) but with several variants, being Win2000 (for home users) Win2000 Professional, Win2000 Server and Win2000 Adavnced Server

Hope that clears it up for you.

------------------
    - Chris
    chris.kilhams@btinternet.com
    If it ain't broke - don't fix it

Did I hear right? Windows 2000 will not allow DOS programs to be run?
    Please tell me this is not true.
    In spite of what you might think of Microsoft, they were completly backward compatible even to pre-Windows (10+ years). Not many companies can claim this.
    Al.

------------------
    A computer is a tool, not a toy.
    <A HREF="mailto:asmith3914@aol.com
    asmith@spxateg.com">asmith3914@aol.com
    asmith@spxateg.com</A>

Windows 2000 does not hide DOS. I am running beta but I can still get to a command prompt and run DOS apps.

nimex,

I think the dos prompt that you are accessing is not a true does prompt. Alot of the dos functions that were available with 98/95/dos are not accessable with w2k.

I beta tested it in the third run, and wasn't too happy with it, but it was a buggy version (beta). Now from all the reading I am seeing that w2k is actually more than everyone's been expecting, and is living up to its claims. (PC Mag, ZDNet)

Just my two cents,
    Mike

Addicted Member

Hi.

Its rumored that Windows Millenium will be win98's sequel.
    and that win2k is winNT's sequel.

-Lumin