Thread: Shelling default browser

Hyperactive Member

How would one open up a new window for a bunch of links in the default browser? I have a listbox of links, and I want to start a new browser for each of the links. It has to be in the default browser, though, not just a specific path. Help would be appreciated, and I'll give you the program for free if you want.

Thanks,

bob

Try the ShellExecute API, ie.
    Code:
    Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long

Private Sub Command1_Click()
        ShellExecute 0, "OPEN", "http://www.vb-world.net", "", "", 1
    End Sub
    ------------------
    Aaron Young
    Analyst Programmer
    aarony@redwingsoftware.com
    ajyoung@pressenter.com

Hyperactive Member

I've already tried that, but it has to open up more than one window. I have a list of things that each has to be shelled in a new window. What you gave me only opens those links in one window, so it in effect only opens the last one on the list. If only there was a way I could "open in new window" instead of just "open"

OK, what you can do is get the Path to the Default Browser, by Checking the Command Key for the HTM Extension, here's a Wrapper Sub I've Written to do the Job for you:
    Code:
    Private Declare Function RegQueryValueEx Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "RegQueryValueExA" (ByVal hKey As Long, ByVal lpValueName As String, ByVal lpReserved As Long, lpType As Long, lpData As Any, lpcbData As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function RegCloseKey Lib "advapi32.dll" (ByVal hKey As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function RegOpenKey Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "RegOpenKeyA" (ByVal hKey As Long, ByVal lpSubKey As String, phkResult As Long) As Long

Private Const HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT = &H80000000

Sub ShellNewBrowser(ByVal URL As String, Optional ByVal ShowWindowState As VbAppWinStyle = vbNormalFocus)
        Dim lRegKey As Long
        Dim sBrowser As String
        Dim sData As String * 255
        Dim lData As Long

If RegOpenKey(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, "htmlfile\shell\open\command", lRegKey) = 0 Then
            lData = 255
            Call RegQueryValueEx(lRegKey, "", 0&, 0&, ByVal sData, lData)
            sBrowser = Left(sData, lData - 1)
            Call RegCloseKey(lRegKey)
        End If

Shell sBrowser & " <A HREF="http://"" TARGET=_blank>http://"</A>  & URL, ShowWindowState

End Sub
    Usage:
    ShellNewBrowser "www.vb-world.net"

------------------
    Aaron Young
    Analyst Programmer
    aarony@redwingsoftware.com
    ajyoung@pressenter.com

Hyperactive Member

This is exactly what I wanted. Absolutely perfect. Thank you thank you thank you.