Thread: Help with Visual Studio 2005 (Building an installer)

Unhappy Help with Visual Studio 2005 (Building an installer)

Hi,

Its my first time building an installer using VS2005 so I hope this is an easy problem to fix. I have a custom action that calls an external program passing arguments to it. I want to pass arguments from a text box in the installation wizard. When I used the property however, it only passed the default value of the field. It did not pass the updated value in the text box.

Any suggestions?
    If what I said was helpful, give me rep!

My Complete Games: -- 2D Zone (Space Shooter game) || _2D Zone 2_ || Ninja Blob (2D platformer) || Dren (Co-op up to 4 player base defence game)

My Projects: -- The Dread Engine (2D VB game Engine) || A* Path Finding

An excellent site for learning DirectX7, 8 & 9 (for VB6, C# & VB.net) would be: directx4vb.vbgamer.com --- For my projects and games see: pieper.freehostia.com

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: Help with Visual Studio 2005 (Building an installer)

Are you using C# for this or VB.NET?

Hi, thanks for the reply,

I am using Visual Studio 2005 to build my installer and the external program is written in C#.

After a bit of research I have discovered that I can build InstallerClasses that are called by custom actions. I hoped that they would allow me to pass values from the text box. Sadly I cannot get any code from the InstallerClass to run despite overloading nearly every method and making them throw exceptions. I have added the InstallerClass to the solution and added the project output from the InstallerClass.

I am trying to be as clear as I can and I suspect the problem is caused by some obvious setting I have missed.
    If what I said was helpful, give me rep!

My Complete Games: -- 2D Zone (Space Shooter game) || _2D Zone 2_ || Ninja Blob (2D platformer) || Dren (Co-op up to 4 player base defence game)

My Projects: -- The Dread Engine (2D VB game Engine) || A* Path Finding

An excellent site for learning DirectX7, 8 & 9 (for VB6, C# & VB.net) would be: directx4vb.vbgamer.com --- For my projects and games see: pieper.freehostia.com

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

I suspect the C# people can help out.

Moved