Thread: [2008] ADO vs .NET Classes - Which Should I Use

Fanatic Member

[2008] ADO vs .NET Classes - Which Should I Use

Hi,
    I have a VB6 application that I need to convert to .NET 2008. It uses a control from ComponentOne that the subscription ran out on. I hate subscriptions (just a rant - when I buy a license I expect to use the control forever) - But I am not paying what they are asking every year.

Anyways...

1) Should I use ADO.NET or use the classes built in .NET.
    2) If I don't use ADO.NET, should I use the controls or not. The database itself can be in any location, so I don't want to hook up the db in the IDE of 2008.

Lively Member

Re: [2008] ADO vs .NET Classes - Which Should I Use

epixelman,

ADO.Net are the built-in .Net classes for working with databases.

Kerry Moorman

Fanatic Member

I thought so. I read on this forum that there was a difference.

Lively Member

what is the difference?

What differences? ADO.NET are classes built into .NET......Not sure what you've heard, but it might be misinformation.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Yes, you should use ADO.NET. It's built into .NET and they're VERY easy and powerful to use.

If you're using Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server, there is a dedicated provider built into .NET for you to use. Everything else can use one of the generic ADO.NET providers such as ODBC or OLEDB.

Many database companies have downloadable (freeware) dedicated .NET providers for their database. MySQL and Pervasive I know for a fact have one and are very good. When installed, you can use that instead of OLEDB or ODBC. Dedicated providers are typically faster due to their optimization, have support for custom features the database system uses, and provide a better "meshing" between .NET and the database such as with parameters.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

ADO was the data access technology of choice in VB6. ADO.NET is the data access technology of choice in VB.NET. You can use the functionality of the IDE to do much of the heavy lifting associated with ADO.NET, but it's still ADO.NET. Whether or not you choose to use data-binding, you're still using ADO.NET to interact with the data source. In .NET 3.5 you also have the option of LINQ to SQL if you're using a SQL Server database. Even then though, LINQ to SQL still uses ADO.NET under the hood.

Here is a good link

http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/ADO.N...and-ADO.NET/1/

sql native client...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008